Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255034 - 12/31/12 03:12 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: JPickett]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: JPickett
Anyone know if there's a "Smart" charger for jumpers similar to the high-end chargers for AA batteries which give information re. battery life, charge level, etc?

You are probably looking for something like the West Mountain Radio Battery Analyzer combined with a good float charger. I am partial to the Powersonic chargers myself.

#255601 - 01/17/13 10:45 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the lower the gauge (#@) the fatter the wire, the more juice for jumping. get the fat $50 ones

#255627 - 01/18/13 08:20 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The longer cables that are low gauge make for reasonable emergency towing. I have seen it done and it seems effective for a those situations where the car is only in a minor problem - needs a bit of help getting out of the ditch or snow bank.

#255628 - 01/18/13 08:51 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: MoBOB]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
The longer cables that are low gauge make for reasonable emergency towing. I have seen it done and it seems effective for a those situations where the car is only in a minor problem - needs a bit of help getting out of the ditch or snow bank.

Wow, how is that hitched? Do you tie the cable as if it's rope?

#255632 - 01/19/13 01:20 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: ireckon]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: ireckon

That is what my cousin and I did a bzillion years ago. He used his cables and his VW bug to help a guy out of slight predicament. Worked pretty good.

#255686 - 01/21/13 06:30 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

During Christmas vacation, my sister needed a jump in the middle of the night. No problem, I had my jumper cables in the back of my SUV. The next day, after she drove around throughout the day, she came back to me and said, "Thank you so much for the jump, but can you go out there and close the hood all the way?" Apparently, I had failed to close the hood fully after I had jumped her car.

I asked her, "You can't close the hood?"

No, she couldn't, seriously. Wow.

#255730 - 01/22/13 02:09 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: MoBOB]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon

That is what my cousin and I did a bzillion years ago. He used his cables and his VW bug to help a guy out of slight predicament. Worked pretty good.

I suppose it would work if you had nothing better but in the same vane, I think it would be unlikely to be useful for its original purpose after that.

#255744 - 01/22/13 10:04 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My retired climbing ropes had a second career as auto tow ropes - that is a bit cheaper than using jumper cables. I actually overstressed my rope and broke it on one occasion. It was pretty spectacular. Do stand clear when applying power

#257094 - 03/03/13 06:42 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

"Red to dead" is the single phrase I need to remember how to jump. I don't like the idea of needing to rely on written instructions. By the way, I have to jump a car maybe once every 3 years. I was finding that I had to look up the instructions like a newbie every time. The proper sequence is uncommon, unnatural knowledge. I'm unafraid to admit that anonymously here on the Internet!

"Red to dead" means apply the red clip to the dead battery first. For me, the rest is obvious. I know that I need to close the circuit in sequence. That is, (1) red clip to the dead battery's positive terminal, then (2) red clip to live battery's positive terminal, then (3) black clip to the live battery's negative terminal, and then (4) black clip to dead car's ground.

#273348 - 12/22/14 09:31 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: dougwalkabout]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: Denis
The red cap is the remote positive terminal and that black box to the left of it is the enclosed battery. Not shown in that picture is the ground; for this they also provide a terminal to use near the battery on the firewall.... I'd say its an obvious terminal....

What, an auto manufacturer exhibiting common sense? Inconceivable! shocked

I know this is an old thread, but I thought of it when I was changing the battery on my Traverse. Turns out the remote posts are due to the fact that the battery isn't in the engine compartment; its under the floor behind the passenger seat.

So much for being due to common sense!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.