The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273335 - 12/21/14 05:14 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
this is what i like about ETS,swapping ideas you would never think of.MAX carrys a lock defroster where he can get at it for possible lock freeze ups.now i don't have motorcycle but coming back from a day hike or even a bread and milk run to find the car locks iced up that little tube of antifreeze would make the drive home easy.

#273336 - 12/21/14 05:16 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
this is what i like about ETS,swapping ideas you would never think of.MAX carrys a lock defroster where he can get at it for possible lock freeze ups.now i don't have motorcycle but coming back from a day hike or even a bread and milk run to find the car locks iced up that little tube of antifreeze would make the drive home easy.

Put the little lock defroster in a waterproof ziploc. Been there, done that...

#273337 - 12/21/14 05:59 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: Tjin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, is something to drive over to get traction when you're stuck in snow. Digging yourself out with a shovel can work (sometimes), but it's often times a lot of work. Especially when the snow under the tires has been pressed/spun down into a block of ice by your spinning tires. Something simple like some old strips of carpet, or even your cars floormats (if they're not expensive!) can be jammed under the front of your tires and driven over to gain traction. They even make commercial things that work on the same principle, but old carpet strips work fine in the few times I've tried it, and they're usually free. A bucket full of kitty litter can be sprinkled in front of your tires too, to help with traction (you have to make sure you get it spread as far back under the stuck tire as possible).

#273338 - 12/21/14 07:24 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I remember that the US military had Arctic MRE's.They had trail mix,beef jerkky,hot drink mixes and chocolate in them.They had other thing in them but heavy on the snacks.Wish I new where I could find some for the car kit.....

BOATMAN
John

#273340 - 12/22/14 02:59 AM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: CANOEDOGS]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
[quote=CANOEDOGS]

i read somewhere that big "natural" dog biscuits are better as emergency rations because you won't be nibbling on them while your waiting for the stop light to change. [/quote
Have never understood why kibble isn't more popular as a survival ration. It's nutritionally balanced, stores well, tolerates temperature variation, cheap, and available in 30 pound ziplock packaging. Palatability might be an issue, but that is true of MRE's, datrex and freeze-dried entree's also. Probably a good traction enhancer, too.

#273341 - 12/22/14 09:06 AM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Just recently I bought a flameless cook box. It works with a chemical heater like the ones in MRE;s. Just add water to a pouch of chemicals and it starts to heat up.
Now I don´t have car but reading this it hit me that it would be a practical thing for car survival kit. Works without a flame and only gives away non-toxic fumes and steam so it is harmless to use inside a car.
Certainly a good morale boost to get a hot meal if you´re stuck in the snow and it keeps you warm.

A video explaining how it works: http://youtu.be/Xp90ZNVlY1Y

#273342 - 12/22/14 01:43 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: nursemike]
NAro Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: nursemike
[quote=CANOEDOGS]

why kibble isn't more popular as a survival ration.

Because it makes you chase cars and pee on trees, which can be dangerous.

#273343 - 12/22/14 01:57 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Speaking of traction mats, looks like this guy had them but they didn't get him out of this survival situation...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/austra...fter-10-n272966

#273344 - 12/22/14 02:59 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Speaking of traction mats, looks like this guy had them but they didn't get him out of this survival situation...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/austra...fter-10-n272966

'4wd; getting stuck further up the trail than a 2wd.'

#273364 - 12/23/14 07:35 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We've had our first real snow of the year and it certainly got me thinking along these lines. My fairly new commute is almost entire rural, but it's a fairly well-traveled area so I'm not worried about getting stuck longer than overnight most of the time.

My Jeep Liberty has new snow tires, and got to test out my tire changing set-up last week. frown

I keep my Day hike kit in my Jeep to use as a get home/stuck in a snow bank bag. It's got all the basics: water, food, cook kit, fire, knife, saw, chemical hand warmers, poncho, paracord, light, etc... Here's a little vide, I've tweaked it a bit, but it's basically the same as it was last winter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnoNOdK2yc&list=UUT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Also stored in my jeep are: jumper cables, FAK, tool kit including extra fuses, fire extinguisher, headlamp, road flares, work gloves, Jeep fluids (washer, oil, transmission, etc.), a collapsible shovel, ice brush/scraper, an old broom, wool blanket, an old winter coat, a flo orange safety vest, a few Nalgenes in insulated carrier, extra hats/mitts/socks/sweater for everyone in the family, and an emergency diaper change bag including a warm change of clothes for bacpacgirl.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.