Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273316 - 12/19/14 06:29 PM time for the 'Winter Car kit"
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Time to throw the blizzard kit into various cars...and change out the food packs.

#273323 - 12/20/14 02:37 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

time to put the top up on the convertible. grin

#273325 - 12/20/14 05:54 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Time to figure out where my wife stashed her ice scraper and snow shovel, and put them back in her car.

#273326 - 12/20/14 08:26 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: bsmith]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: bsmith

time to put the top up on the convertible. grin
ROFL

#273327 - 12/20/14 09:20 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: AKSAR]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Here in Colorado, I'm still using my summer car kit. I don't remember a winter ever being this delayed. I'm still running around without a coat or jacket today. And it's mid-December!

#273328 - 12/20/14 09:25 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i always kept a little something in the trunk.when i was in college back in the 70's it was a blanket and a bottle of rum.
now i have a full kit that i added onto over the years.with a hour drive to work and half of that on rural roads i got a good parka to wear over my office clothes as the number one item.
now retired and with cell phones so handy i have mostly blankets and shovels.

[/URL

one shovel is a good strong "coal shovel" with a sharp edge.
that's new this year because last winter i was helping digging someone out of our alley and they spun the wheels several inches into ice and no amount of pushing would get the tires out of that trap.i went into my garage and got a metal shovel and busted a track just a few inches long in the ice and that did the job.the big plastic shovel is for normal snow removal.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/WETCANOEDOG/media/P1150534_zps66e2d87a.jpg.html]

when i got my parka out of the closet a month ago i found the gear left in from last winter which we all recall was so nasty.
a 12 hour candle,a couple foil blankets,a plastic bag with MRE TP-lighter -and hand wipes.the smushed candy bar is the last of the pocket full that was ment for emergency snacks while waiting for a tow,ok i ate them anyway.
i read somewhere that big "natural" dog biscuits are better as emergency rations because you won't be nibbling on them while your waiting for the stop light to change.

#273329 - 12/20/14 09:39 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I drive a lot. I drive in snow a lot. The way I look at it, the worst thing that's likely to happen to me that's actually survivable is a crash followed by several days stuck in a snow bank.

My winter kit includes an ice scraper/snow brush, a Cold Steel entrenching tool, a snow shovel, ski gloves, spare boots and socks, spare clothes, and a military surplus Modular Sleep System. I'd rather have a Wiggy's bag but the cost differential was substantial.

Make sure to check your fluids and tire pressures as well.

#273330 - 12/20/14 10:17 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I put a Fiskars shovel in my car. A folding shovel and some blankets are standard kit. Food goes in my backpack. That way I can be fairly sure that my water actually is a liquid. I also have a small Trangia cooker with fuel and a few tea bags and packets of instant coffee as comfort items.
I also put lock defroster in an inner pocket of my motorcycle jacket. It might be required to shut down the engine and - equally important - get the key out of the ignition lock after the ride.

#273333 - 12/21/14 04:34 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In my trunk I carry a shovel, sleeping bag, water, a small Trangia cook set, some snacks, and my largest FAK- also some coveralls, gloves, and an old jacket or two.

#273334 - 12/21/14 05:14 PM Re: time for the 'Winter Car kit" [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Traxion mats and shovel are standard items year round. (once forgot to take it out in the spring and I used it to dig my car out 4 times in a row). Blanket, whistle, flashlight, candles, firestarters, mess kit, water, etc. are all there year round.

The only main difference are the snowbrush and ice scrappers. I also lubricate my locks, use a special rubber stick to prevent my doors from freezing shut and change my washer fluid with a higher freeze protection version.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.