Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#273293 - 12/17/14 01:27 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Tjin]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tjin
If the battery in the solarcharger is enough for your expected use, then you don't need the solar part.

Sorry, I misunderstood. In my case, the WakaWaka Power+ will charge in almost any daytime light conditions, albeit it might be quite slow. I keep one each along with a spare Lightning cable in each of our two cars' emergency kits. I've also used them while camping to keep phones charged.

#273306 - 12/18/14 10:23 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
so would something like this serve my needs better?

http://www.woot.com/offers/gorilla-16-800-mah-battery-pack-w-led-screen-11?ref=cnt_dly_img

or possibly a combination of both? the solar for the times i can reliably charge in the sun and the other above as a back-up?

As I said, my intended use for this is charging phones, maybe an ipod or tablet, in the event I am away from power at a primitive campsite or at home in the event of a power outage. Now, what that means in how much "juice" I need to accomplish that, I have no idea.

#273307 - 12/19/14 05:00 AM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For me, I use the WakaWaka Power+ in the emergency kits I keep in each car, along with a spare set of cables. Each is good for one full charge of an iPhone 6, has extremely low self-discharge, and recharges itself in almost any amount of sunlight. I also use these when camping.

For shorter excursions I use a non-solar LiPo powerpack. I don't have the model you look at but those have a lot of claimed capacity for the price.

It's essential to top any devices like this off every month or three (depending on how much it self-discharges) and every time you use them if you want them to work when you need them.

#273308 - 12/19/14 06:04 AM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A High Efficiency 14W Solar Charger for $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-X-DRAGON...s=solar+charger

I have good results with NewTrent Powerpaks. This is the rugged version;

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-PowerPak...ywords=newtrent

This combination should also satisfy the more power hungry requirement USB devices for the larger Android and iPad tablets.

#273309 - 12/19/14 08:47 AM Re: solar charging question [Re: Mark_F]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
so would something like this serve my needs better?

http://www.woot.com/offers/gorilla-16-800-mah-battery-pack-w-led-screen-11?ref=cnt_dly_img

or possibly a combination of both? the solar for the times i can reliably charge in the sun and the other above as a back-up?

As I said, my intended use for this is charging phones, maybe an ipod or tablet, in the event I am away from power at a primitive campsite or at home in the event of a power outage. Now, what that means in how much "juice" I need to accomplish that, I have no idea.

For short outings, just go for an external battery pack. Do check the following with batterypacks:

- Power output: tablets often require a 2.1A, 2A or at least 1A power output. Check if the powerpack has this output. Regular USB has a 0.5A output.
- Check the capacity of your devices and look at the capacity of the powerpack. The amount of charges you can get is the total amount of powerpack (example 16800 mah from the one you linked at) – charge losses (converting the battery output to USB output and back, batteries heating up, cable resistance, etc) which will be in the 30% area (depending on the quality of the devices) divided by the capacity of your phone.
Note; lots of cheap Chinese batterypacks have inflated capacity numbers.

For longer you can add a solar panel, but use it to charge a batterypack, not directly to your device (unless the sun output is very consistent) . The problem with solar in inconsistent power output. Interruption of the power will stop Iphones from charging and requires you to unplug and re-plug the cable. With my android phone that doesn't seem to be a problem, but when hovering at the minimum required power input my phone will keep giving the vibrating and sound of being connected and disconnected continuously. Which eat more power then it’s getting.

Two links explaining what to get (no affiliations):
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/External-Battery-Reviews
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Solar-Charger-Reviews

#273314 - 12/19/14 04:05 PM Re: solar charging question [Re: Tjin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a Mophie battery/case on my iPhone, doubles the battery capacity with nothing else required; it's always available. That and I try to keep the phone in airplane mode when I don't expect or want to receive calls.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.