Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#273251 - 12/13/14 05:03 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Bingley]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Since so many people love the Casio G-Shock, I took a look out of curiosity. My, are they ugly! The acceptable ones (MT-G black or silver metal) are really expensive ($900-$1,000)! You'd think they'd be able to hit upon a good color scheme when making so many different combinations.

I hear you. Functionally they seem to be everything you'd want in an outdoors watch, but I can't get over their size & aesthetics.

#273252 - 12/13/14 05:30 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
There's a Casio Pathfinder PAW1500T around here someplace

Too chunky for me. Too big for your wrist is fixable -- any jewelry or watch repair place at the mall can do this in minutes.

#273253 - 12/13/14 05:47 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm a pretty modern guy for the most part. I'm really into modern polymer guns (I have six HKs including a USC carbine), I collect LED lights and I'm heavily into digital audio and video. But for some weird reason I can't stand digital watches. Maybe it's my age or whatever but if I see the time displayed numerically it doesn't register with my brain like it does seeing hour and minute hands. I admit this is weird but I'll wear analog watches as long as I'm alive and they're still made.

You know, when I think about it a watch is an anachronism nowadays. IRL I'm one of the only people I know that still wears one. I feel naked without it but my brother that's nearly the same age as me hasn't worn one in ten years. Since everyone has a cell phone and nearly every computer and electronic gadget seems to display the time it feels like watches are getting almost uncommon now.

#273254 - 12/13/14 09:54 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
It is possible to buy mechanical, hand wind, watches without having to pay thousands of dollars.
Like my Smiths from England. A copy of the military watches from the 50´s/60´s. Mine cost about 300 british pounds and that included postage fee.

#273255 - 12/13/14 11:02 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Herman30]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
That´s a nice simple watch. I got a copy of a WWII aviator´s watch. Those watches had the movement of a pocket watch for better accuracy. I paid around 100€ for mine.

However when it came some assembly was required:

#273256 - 12/13/14 04:15 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Don't worry, Phaedrus; I'll be the other guy with a wristwatch (only it will be digital)...

#273257 - 12/13/14 04:39 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

All this watch talk again has me looking for another watch.

I also like the titanium Series of Citizen Eco-drive Solar Watch. This looks the business being a toughened up Commando Watch. Now if it only had a Tritium Dials and watch face like my Luminox!

http://www.citizenshop.co.uk/index.php/r...bn0110-06e.html

#273261 - 12/14/14 01:51 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Here's one of mine built like a tank.

Another auto that I find myself wearing just as a beater:

Edited by barbakane (12/14/14 01:54 AM)

#273263 - 12/14/14 02:16 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Phaedrus]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm one of the few left in my office that still wears a wristwatch. There's a couple of high end dress watches, a G-Shock, and my Timex. Everybody else relies on their cell phones. I personally finds it annoying to have to dig it out whenever I want to check the time or date.

I prefer analog watches, but to be fair, I could wear one of those oversized sport watches if I could attach it to my belt.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273266 - 12/14/14 03:47 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: barbakane]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: barbakane
The advantages over other watches that cost a tiny fraction, is the fact that the automatics take no batteries, their water resistance is usually greater than the cheap watches. If the watch says is 200M WR, and it costs $50, it probably isn't.
Cheapness is relative. For a few hundred dollars you can get something with sufficient quality, that is still massively cheaper than a Rolex. The 200M WR refers to static pressure, as Paul810 said. A solar watch doesn't need new batteries every few years.

I recently bought an automatic watch, partly to see what they were like, partly because I wanted a slide-rule dial, and partly because my Casio isn't very dressy. I was disappointed. From what I've read, it needs a few hundred dollars spent on maintenance every few years else the workings will wear out and the oil congeal. If civilisation collapses, I suspect my digital watch will keep better time for longer than my automatic.

Originally Posted By: Russ
There's a Casio Pathfinder PAW1500T around here someplace wink -- Tough Solar, Atomic, Digital Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer, yada yada yada, Titanium case and wristband -- All that and it's too big and doesn't want to fit my wrist. A real Casio dealer might be able to adjust the band. Other than not fitting it's a nice watch.
I have one with a plastic strap - which I much prefer. I love it. Being solar and atomic it's an excellent time-piece, and I also use most of the gadgets.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.