The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#273215 - 12/11/14 06:11 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It may be better but with respects to Rolex I could buy a hundred G-shocks and just throw them away every six weeks and still be ahead money wise!

#273217 - 12/11/14 01:33 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Speaking of renewing the luminous dials, I have a Seiko diver's watch that I have had for for almost 30 years. I have replaced the band several times, but the watch has held up to extreme abuse. It no longer glows in the dark, though. I would like to renew the dial, but have never explored the options for getting it done. Has anyone ever done this before? What new materials are out there?

#273218 - 12/11/14 03:38 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Rolex etal have been overtaken by technology. If I need the official, precise time (as in opening or closing a polling place) I need look no further than the nearest cellphone or GPS. For convenience I still wear a venerable Casio which needs a battery about every two or three years.It's accuracy approaches chronometer grade, but I no longer use a sextant for navigation....

#273219 - 12/11/14 03:45 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida

#273220 - 12/11/14 06:18 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Phaedrus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It may be better but with respects to Rolex I could buy a hundred G-shocks and just throw them away every six weeks and still be ahead money wise!

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Rolex etal have been overtaken by technology. If I need the official, precise time (as in opening or closing a polling place) I need look no further than the nearest cellphone or GPS. For convenience I still wear a venerable Casio which needs a battery about every two or three years.It's accuracy approaches chronometer grade, but I no longer use a sextant for navigation....

A Rolex is a very expensive peice of jewelry that happens to incorporate a clock. A Rolex is fine if you wish to make a fashion statement. As a survival item, I see no practical advantage of a Rolex over an ordinary digital watch that costs a tiny fraction.

In some situations, wearing a Rolex could have negative value for survival. Wearing a Rolex says "I have money" and/or "I am important". If you were a bad guy looking for a target to rob or kidnap, who would you select? The guy wearing the Timex watch? ..... Or the guy wearing the Rolex?

#273221 - 12/11/14 07:18 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: AKSAR]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
In some situations, wearing a Rolex could have negative value for survival. Wearing a Rolex says "I have money" and/or "I am important". If you were a bad guy looking for a target to rob or kidnap, who would you select? The guy wearing the Timex watch? ..... Or the guy wearing the Rolex?

On the other hand (sorry) you might also be able to use the Rolex to buy yourself out of a situation. It could go either way depending on the circumstances.

#273222 - 12/11/14 07:35 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: chaosmagnet]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
On the other hand (sorry) you might also be able to use the Rolex to buy yourself out of a situation.
And if they they don't like the deal you offer, they can just shoot you and take the watch.

#273228 - 12/12/14 05:54 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: AKSAR]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
On the other hand (sorry) you might also be able to use the Rolex to buy yourself out of a situation.
And if they they don't like the deal you offer, they can just shoot you and take the watch.

If your in that bad a situation, just take the watch off. I've done that on just a couple occasions...situational awareness is key, after all.

The advantages over other watches that cost a tiny fraction, is the fact that the automatics take no batteries, their water resistance is usually greater than the cheap watches. If the watch says is 200M WR, and it costs $50, it probably isn't.
Rolex has a screw down crown usually. If they don't, they have a series of gaskets that keep the water out of the movement. I won't ket into all the features that make it the world's best selling watch brand. Look it up if your curious. PLUS the resell value is certainly there. Try reslling a $30 Casio.

#273229 - 12/12/14 06:34 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Phaedrus]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

With a Rolex you're buying jewelry as well as a timepiece. G-shocks are just timepieces with a lot of complications. There's no artistic value to them. Comparing the two isn't an apple to apple comparison. It's more like a kiwi to lime comparison.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273230 - 12/12/14 10:20 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: barbakane]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: barbakane

The advantages over other watches that cost a tiny fraction, is the fact that the automatics take no batteries, their water resistance is usually greater than the cheap watches. If the watch says is 200M WR, and it costs $50, it probably isn't.
Rolex has a screw down crown usually. If they don't, they have a series of gaskets that keep the water out of the movement. I won't ket into all the features that make it the world's best selling watch brand. Look it up if your curious. PLUS the resell value is certainly there. Try reslling a $30 Casio.

Don't take this the wrong way, and for the record I don't care if you buy $1,000,000 watches- but I can't imagine any of these things being big pluses for most people. For instance, I'm not waterproof to 200m, so if my watch it at 200m it's gonna have to go without me and it'll have to stay there. grin And if I don't blow ten grand on the watch that's ten grand I'll still have, no need to pawn my Timex. A CD is still going to be a better investment than a watch.

But I suppose if I won the Powerball, once I had all the HK firearms, high end knives, sports cars and collectible comics I could find...well, maybe then I'd consider something "better" than a Timex Expedition.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.