Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#273216 - 12/11/14 06:26 AM Man survives 12 days at sea
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Quote:
"I'm a fisherman so I caught fish; it wasn't as good as a sushi bar, but that's how I hydrated," he said.

Man Survived 12 Days Stranded at Sea by Eating Fish, Rigging Radio

#273224 - 12/11/14 08:12 PM Re: Man survives 12 days at sea [Re: Bingley]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
It is an interesting story. There are a few loose ends that aren't clear. Sailnet.com has a discussion with some quotes from various news sources. See page 4 in the sailnet thread.

The USCG didn't find him in the original very extensive search. One of the sailnet links says he gave GPS coordinates in his first mayday, but the GPS was wrong. I doubt the GPS would be that far off. I suspect it was either operator error and he misread his GPS, or else the coordinates got badly garbled over the radio. When sending a distress message, always get a read back of coordinates if at all possible!

The other big question is why he just didn't sail back after the storm was over? In the photos of the rescue the mast on the boat seems to be intact. As I write this, the sailnet thread has some possible answers from people with experience in those waters.

#273225 - 12/11/14 09:10 PM Re: Man survives 12 days at sea [Re: AKSAR]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I thought that most ocean going (or at least ocean capable) vessels carried an EPRIB. I wonder if he had one?

#273226 - 12/11/14 09:27 PM Re: Man survives 12 days at sea [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
From: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/cgepirb.htm
Quote:
...The legal requirements to carry an EPIRB vary with the type of vessel. Although recreational vessels are strongly encouraged to carry an EPIRB on board there are no legal requirements that they do so. Commercial fishing vessels that are 36 feet and larger, and operate beyond three miles from shore, and have a galley and berthing on board, are required to carry an EPIRB. ...

#273227 - 12/11/14 09:41 PM Re: Man survives 12 days at sea [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
While carrying an EPIRB would be wise, I don't think there was any legal requirement to carry one in this case. From Boat Safe:
Quote:
The legal requirements to carry an EPIRB vary with the type of vessel. Although recreational vessels are strongly encouraged to carry an EPIRB on board there are no legal requirements that they do so. Commercial fishing vessels that are 36 feet and larger, and operate beyond three miles from shore, and have a galley and berthing on board, are required to carry an EPIRB. Many commercial fisherman owe their lives to this requirement. Coast Guard inspected merchant vessels, operating in Coastal or Ocean trade, beyond twenty miles from shore, are also required to carry EPIRBs.

This guy was fishing from a 25 foot boat. Commercial fishermen tend to be a very cantankerous and independent bunch, and have often bitterly resisted proposed mandatory safety requirements.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.