Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#273186 - 12/08/14 10:18 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: ATN]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: ATN
Although not confined to Rolex, is your watch good for survival situations? My watch is a Casio Pro Trek. I like it mainly because it is solar, tough and waterproof.

I wear the Casio MTGM900DA-8. I wear it when I'm awake, and I actually use it. (I don't wear it while sleeping only because the Atomic time update doesn't always work with the watch on my wrist.) I don't like taking my cell phone out just to check the time or date. Also, I like working out with my watch, but not with my cell phone.

#273188 - 12/08/14 10:35 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I like the Casio G-Shock because I normally don't wear a watch at all. When I do wear it, it shows the correct time to the second. That's all I need from a watch.

#273194 - 12/09/14 05:54 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Russ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Russ
LOL, no they're not that tough, but to make up for it they don't keep time as well as a Casio G-Shock you can get for $50. OTOH, they make great safe queens.

BTW, if you do own a Rolex, make sure you have the seals/gaskets/O-rings replaced every 5 years, especially if you really think the watch needs to be waterproof.

FWIW, I've worn a GMT Master II aprox. 7x24 for the last 25 years or so without a single service. While it is true I may be pushing my luck, they don't necessarily self destruct.

OTOH, while my GMT has been good to me, I prol would get an Omega Seamaster if I were to do it again. A lot of what you are paying for with Rolex is the name IMO.

OTOOH, it's a tough watch. I will never again buy a watch w/o a sapphire window. I've smashed the watch into a concrete wall w/no scratch. In fact, after 25 years of abuse, the window is nearly perfect (can't say the same for the rest of the watch. bezel is deeply faded, needs a re-lume, etc).

That, compaired to my last watch, which was a Casio G Shock. Deep scratches all over the window. And I did kill that one. Or at least, the housing broke in such a way a strap could not be attached and thus was unwearable.

But your point is fair. Folks sometimes don't realize how much it costs to have these watches properly maintained. I certainly didn't.

-john

Edited by JohnN (12/09/14 06:02 AM)

#273195 - 12/09/14 07:28 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Which of these watches come with a retractible piano wire for garroting the sentry during undercover ops?

For some reason I never felt the draw of expensive watches. They don't look that great to me. You can have more beautiful ornaments for less -- design for me is key. But then again I don't get diamonds, either. They're just shiny stones. Useful for cutting glass, though. So I guess I'm weird.

#273196 - 12/09/14 07:48 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yikes! eek I don't think I've ever owned a car that cost as much as some of those Rolex watches! I think I'll stick to my Timex Expedition Indiglo. grin

#273199 - 12/09/14 03:50 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

So, I am cheap, cheap, cheap !!!

Last week I have bought THREE watches and a clock
Total for all : $ 187

Rolex isn't for me.

#273200 - 12/09/14 04:15 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I visited Dubai some 38 years ago and bought two Submariners and a Perpetual Date. Popped back into the retailer last year, they were amazed I still had the receipt!

The Submariners I sold for a massive profit, enough to cover all the cost of the watches and gold I bought.

The Perpetual Date has been on my wrist ever since, a few services and a new wristband. It is totally reliable, still an accurate chronometer.

That is the Rolex advantage, total utter reliability, it is there, it is correct, it needs no special treatment. If I can survive it, so will my watch.

I had one of the six prototype Sea-dwellers for test for a couple of months. Not well made and the helium relief valve rusted as it was non stainless but it worked well but really frayed my shirt cuff.

#273201 - 12/09/14 05:09 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Bingley

For some reason I never felt the draw of expensive watches. They don't look that great to me. You can have more beautiful ornaments for less -- design for me is key. But then again I don't get diamonds, either. They're just shiny stones. Useful for cutting glass, though. So I guess I'm weird.

Expensive watches are as much, if not more so, jewelry as they are time pieces. A Rolex is a very fine timepiece, but it's also a conspicuous piece off men's jewelry.

If you want some heart attack prices, check out the Patek Philippe watches. I could pay off my mortgage with one off those.

That being said, I wear a Timex or Casio most days.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273202 - 12/09/14 06:41 PM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
If you want some heart attack prices, check out the Patek Philippe watches.

I just did an internet search -- they are running a sale on the Patek Philippe Grand Complications watch! $15,000 off! For only $970,000, you can tell what time it is! With all that saving, you can put a down payment on a small house.

#273213 - 12/11/14 04:22 AM Re: Don’t you love Rolex? [Re: Martineza]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Rolex are great watches. But you don't only get the name when you buy one. Servicing is crucial for any timepiece. Rolex replaces all the gaskets when it gets serviced. Being "oyster perpetual", which refers to the case being water resistant,and the perpetual means an automatic movement, that baby will keep great time for years and years and years. Lets see a cheap G-Shock do that. True, when the battery goes you can a replacement. No watch is ever waterproof, and any watch marketed as such, you should steer well clear of. Patek make luxury watches, not "tool" watches. Give me an auto diver any day, but then again I already have about ten auto divers. No Rolex's, but then I really don't want one.
Izzy, look at reluming the dial and hands with Superluminova, but contact a very reputable Rolex dealer so you keep the value of the watch intact. The dealer will send it back directly to Rolex for the work to be done. They should also service it, again to maintain the waterproofness, and it may need to be regulated again.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.