Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#272200 - 10/14/14 02:30 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Deathwind]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Deathwind

I use tinder cubes made by a friend. About the sze of a sugar cube they burn furiously for about 12-15 minutes.

Sounds interesting.
What is the composition of the tinder cubes?

#272203 - 10/14/14 02:46 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: yee]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Thats a secret he wont share untl he has worked out a few flaws and has a patent, Yee. I know they're easy to make and cheap, and I have a few thought's on composition, but it's not my invention or I would freely share it. I don't like the amount of smoke generated by them, but they do dry out and ingnite soaked tinder and kindling. And they put out a good amount of light as well.

#272212 - 10/14/14 03:59 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Deathwind]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
When I go hiking, I pretty much take it all. Little space is needed, not much weight. BIC lighter, waterproof matches, firesteel, fresnal lens, candles (including "can't blow 'em out" birthday trick ones), PJ cotton balls, commercial firestarter tinder, fire paste, Trangia burner - you name it. Never had to use any of it in an emergency. But if disaster does befall me, I don't want to be totally dependent on my backwoods skills (which are not so good) to light a fire in bad conditions. I'm more than happy to skip the manliness and give myself every advantage possible with stuff I carry with me. I'm not saying you shouldn't know how to do things with zero aids, but I certainly wouldn't want to put myself into that scenario intentionally. I fall into the "prepared hiker" category, not the "ultralight hiker" one, in case that isn't obvious. Road flares sound good, I'll have to look into those to see if there are smaller ones available, that don't look like the giant stick of dynamite ones I remember in the trunk of our family car decades ago.

#272214 - 10/14/14 04:31 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: haertig]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

well said haertig

#272222 - 10/14/14 09:24 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Deathwind]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Deathwind,as I said it works for me.It is something I EDC in my Carhartt coat.I also carry disposable heat packs.If I am out in the woods I am dressed for the weather.I make fire before I start to shiver.Been above the Arctic Circle in the Navy.Did a lot of stuff there while shivering.I know what my limits are.As I said this works for me....

BOATMAN
John

#272226 - 10/15/14 02:30 AM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

A film canister of thermite? wink

I carry a couple of the short orion signal / road flares for that type of thing.

#272247 - 10/15/14 07:23 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I've heard of the road flare option, but I understand they have some nasty chemicals that I don't want anywhere near my food or my face, etc.

Anyway, I wouldn't be carrying a road flare in the situation described in the original post (dark, you are cold, wet, and tired, and you need a fire NOW). If I got to that point, then that means I lost my main pack (or car) and I'm down to what's on my person (e.g., pocket or fanny pack).

On my person, I should have at least two of the following:

Mini Bic
Ferro rod and striker
Vaseline with cotton balls

As long as I can find fuel that's not super wet, then I feel confident I can start a fire with those items. Anyway, this is something I need to practice: starting a fire when it's pouring raining and shelter is not established yet.

#272265 - 10/16/14 12:28 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: boatman]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Boatman
First, let me thank you for your service.
I certainly meant no offense. I myself wouldn't want to be playing around with a knife and risking a hand or wrist injury n the proposed situation is my position on the subject. While old tmey skills like flint/steel and charcloth, Bow/drill and other methods are good to know I would rather leave them to others and move forward. With our technology there is absolutely no reason modern man should not be able to light a roaring fire under even the worst conditions. Also the faster get a fre going the faster I can start on my shelter, and spend more time on insulating it, in a more relaxed state both mental and physical because of that cheery blaze. This is simply my humble opinion and I respect everyones personal preferences. I always carry extra matches and tinder for those may encounter in the wilderness.

#272286 - 10/16/14 09:48 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Deathwind, no offense was taken.I was just trying to clarify my practice.I agree with you on the "old timey skills" and always carry a BIC lighter.I also carry a firesteel and fresnel lens as backup.The reason I think many survival Guru's teach friction fire and flint and steel is technique.If they can get someone to make the proper preparations to use an ember then the rest is childs play.I have seen people not get a fire going after using a cup of gasoline. they just didn't have a good fire lay and no kindling or tinder. I got nthe same fire going with one PJB and a double handful of match stick size twigs and finger size sticks.I was looked at like I just did majic.This was during a winter training campout in the naval Reserves.I didn't use a knife at all.I just used fallen branches that were hanging.I guess I could presplit up a piece of fatwood and wrap the same way.It would save some minutes.....

BOATMAN
John

#272287 - 10/16/14 10:01 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: boatman]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
This really strikes true. The trick usually isn't making fire, but in building it up and keeping it going.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.