Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273009 - 11/24/14 02:34 AM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: bws48]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: bws48
I had never heard of this. Searched youtube for videos, using search term "burning crayon." Yes, they will burn, debatable for how long. I noticed that it was hard to get them started: it took a while with a lighter. It appears you need the paper wrapping to act as a wick.

On a scale of practicality, I'd put it very near the bottom.

I agree. A crayon is basically a candle and not a very good one. It's not even tinder. You can't start a crayon by using a spark. That even sounds weird saying it.

#273013 - 11/24/14 03:18 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
As a kid, we'd find paraffin on the RR Tracks. We'd melt it down with crayons (for color) and pour it into a toilet paper cardboard center to make candles. We tied the wick to a toothpick resting on the top of the roll.

Those candles were a little smokey and the wax would run down the sides but they worked.

#273016 - 11/24/14 06:22 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I went on a short overnighter this weekend. The air was dry and the wind was calm, but the 22-25 degF nightly temps made the fire most welcome. Again, conditions were perfect but I was amazed (as always) at what a large, fast blaze can be made from [tinder + twig bundle + finger-sized sticks]. I ditched the backpacking stove and just used the fire to heat water.

PJ balls are excellent but I have found that if you carry them off-body in cold weather they can become very hard to pull apart for use as tinder. If you kept some in a pocket of your clothing that may be enough to keep them warmer, though the outer pocket of a parka might not be enough. Then again maybe I used too much PJ in those things. I know that a tube of Bacitracin ointment (which is like 98% PJ) gets very hard to squeeze in weather below freezing.

I really like the idea of a small, dedicated piece of emergency fatwood wrapped in wax paper and foil. The foil helps keep the melted PJ from running out into the ground.

#273022 - 11/24/14 10:51 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Glock-A Roo,exactly.The foil also acts as a thermal layer/moisture shield also.If snow or frost is on the ground it could steam up and make a fire harder to get going.At least in theory.Emergency fires justifies my inner pyro.....

BOATMAN
John

#273033 - 11/25/14 05:46 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

What do you all do to protect PJ balls and TinderQuiks from water? I thought PJ balls would be impervious to a dunking until I saw this video. Couple things I thought: 1) maybe he didn't use enough PJ on the cotton ball and 2) he wasn't doing a good job of separating the PJ ball to create those long, thin fibers that take a spark so well. See this video at about the 4:45 mark.

GearWard's Fire Cord seems to do pretty well after being soaked.

#273037 - 11/25/14 08:16 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
What do you all do to protect PJ balls and TinderQuiks from water? I thought PJ balls would be impervious to a dunking until I saw this video. Couple things I thought: 1) maybe he didn't use enough PJ on the cotton ball and 2) he wasn't doing a good job of separating the PJ ball to create those long, thin fibers that take a spark so well. See this video at about the 4:45 mark.

I dunked a cotton ball in water, wrung it out the best I could with the help of a paper towel, and tried to light the cotton by using a ferro rod spark. I learned three things from this experiment:

1. A fluffed out cotton ball that is just a tiny bit damp will NOT catch a spark.

2. A fluffed out cotton ball that is just a tiny bit damp will NOT even ignite if I put a naked flame to it.

3. A damp cotton ball (and therefore damp cotton fabric) is a good way to put OUT a fire.

This messed up my confidence. Thus, I'm going to buy some of that Fire Cord Waterproof Tinder and try it out.

#273039 - 11/25/14 08:58 PM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
What do you all do to protect PJ balls and TinderQuiks from water?

I carry TinderQuiks in a waterproof match case...right next to the waterproof match case full of matches laugh.

#273043 - 11/26/14 10:05 AM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have various tinders vacuum sealed into 3"x4" mylar bags. The pouches are very very sturdy; I've sent a few to some fellow ETS'ers and none of the packages have failed so far as I know. I make up little micro-kits by using about a 2" x 2" square of Tinder Card- this stuff is awesome. It's stiff so it makes a great backer and it burns like a candle. A 1/4" x 1" strip will burn for about a minute or so. You can score it with a knife and light it with a spark if need be. Generally I will set one x 4gram ESBIT tablet on it along with four or five Tinder-Quiks, then seal it up. The mylar keeps it all dry and has a zip-lock so you can open it and reseal what you don't use.

Occasionally I'll make a slightly more deluxe version with a few matches or even a Spark-Lite sealed in with the tinder.

#273044 - 11/26/14 10:53 AM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle [Re: Crowe]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Awesome, Phaedrus. I'm totally copying that.

#273045 - 11/26/14 11:12 AM Re: One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle/waxpaper [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

What do you all do to protect PJ balls and TinderQuiks from water?

Why the need to protect them from water? smile

Usually the method of carry takes care of any water concerns, zip lock, match safe, pill fob ... duck tape, aluminum foil

I thought PJ balls would be impervious to a dunking until I saw this video. Couple things I thought: 1) maybe he didn't use enough PJ on the cotton ball and 2) he wasn't doing a good job of separating the PJ ball to create those long, thin fibers that take a spark so well.

all you need is fuzz, can be real short fuzz smile but if you've got water in your cotton sponge, it will interfere with flames

See U5pmQj_GD0k ? WetFire and Cotton ball fire starter soaked in water - YouTube
You know what is different? The whole cotton ball gets a coat/shell of petroleum jelly, so it doesn't soak up water like the cottony sponge that it is

See this video at about the 4:45 mark.
That made me chuckle, I didn't know a butane lighter could kill you by exploding laugh

Another man made "fatwood" ... needs a bit more work to light with a spark than actual fatwood ... but its $10 for 450 pieces of "waterproof tinder" each burning for 15 seconds .. total 6750 seconds, or 112.5 minutes, or 1.875 hours burn time

compare to dollar store tea light, 16 tealights for $1, 9 grams each, 3-4 hours burn time, tape a cotton ball on top of the tea light and you can light it with a spark

compare to dollar store wax paper, 65-square-foot for $1, about same weight/BTU as 16 tealights, from which tear/roll into 780 individual one inch tubes , torn edges ought to take a spark and ought to burn more than 15 seconds easy ... more BTU than one dollar 4oz vaseline, can carry loose in your pocket, water proof ...
wax paper is universal smile like a crayon laugh

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 306 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.