The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#273025 - 11/24/14 11:30 PM Mini-RSK Mk1 - Long Term Testing
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've owned my Mini-RSK Mk1 for about five years now. It's been my primary EDC knife. I own a number of folders, some of them are very nice, but I carry this one over 90% of the time.

The ergonomics, folding, locking and cutting ability work very well for me, and the size is excellent for most of my every day needs. My use of this knife is primarily urban and suburban, cutting straps, boxes, plastic clamshell packages, string, tape, and occasionally food. I tend to carry other (larger) knives when camping, hiking, or called out for CERT.

While I try hard not to misuse any tool, this one has not been treated gently. I've sent it through the washer and dryer a few times, I've used it in the rain and the mud, and one person (whom I will not lend a tool to again) used it to dig out a screw head that was sunk too deep in a target stand so that we could complete the disassembly of same.

As for maintenance, I'm thorough. When it gets dirty, I wash it in plenty of water. When wet, I dry it thoroughly and relubricate it. And I keep it sharp; mostly with a strop and only a couple of times a year with a sharpener. The knife stays sharp for a long time under use, and I've found that a strop keeps it sharp with minimal effort. When I have used it heavily between stropping (or when it's been misused) then I break out the sharpener. As one might expect with S30V, this knife takes more effort to sharpen than some others I've owned, but it's easy to enough to keep it sharp and it does stay sharp for a long time.

When the new version of the knife came out with M390 steel, I bought it because I could, not because I felt there was any deficiency with the S30V version. I took it out of the box long enough to lubricate it but I haven't used it yet.

Looking at the older knife, there are few signs that it isn't new. The black oxide coating on the clip is somewhat worn. There are some barely visible scratches on the stonewashed DLC blade finish. When open, there's an almost imperceptible amount of side to side play -- I've never noticed it in use. If you look carefully at the tip you can see that I've sharpened it. And that's about it. The knife still opens smoothly, locks up solid, and closes easily when the lock is disengaged.

Comparing the two directly, the play side to side is the same between them, and the scales on the older one seem a bit faded. The old one has a bit of a gap between the end of the clip and the scale, but it continues to clip to my waistband quite firmly.

Here you can compare them side by side, five years of use versus brand new out of the box:

Obviously, I wouldn't have bought the new model if I had been displeased with the old one. And with all of the locking folders I own, the fact that this one is the one I carry all the time says quite a bit as well.

For now the new one will be a safe queen. Maybe I'll give it to one of my daughters at some point.

(Disclaimer: I have no financial relationship with Doug Ritter, Knifeworks, Aeromedics, Benchmade, or the ETS Foundation other than as a customer. I am also a volunteer moderator on the ETS Forums.)

Edited by chaosmagnet (11/25/14 02:40 PM)
Edit Reason: added Benchmade to disclaimer

#273026 - 11/24/14 11:59 PM Re: Mini-RSK Mk1 - Long Term Testing [Re: chaosmagnet]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My Mk1 mini is 9+ years old. I bought the fullsize Mk1 in '04 when they first came out I think (with the case), and soon I realized that the mini would be better for EDC.

It follows me everywhere I go (except the shower). Sometimes when camping I'll swap the fullsize Mk1 in its place. The mini has also been through too many loads of laundry, and looks pretty much like your's. The only real sign of wear is the clip. My clip just says 'BENCHMADE" - no "USA" underneath. Oh, looking it over I guess I have a little chip out of one outside edge. Don't know how that happened.

I use a Sharpmaker and have never ever had a problem with sharpening. I think I sharpen it ... well ... maybe twice a year, though I don't abuse it.

#273030 - 11/25/14 09:11 AM Re: Mini-RSK Mk1 - Long Term Testing [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Great review! I'd love to get the M390 version. For kitchen knives it's maybe my favorite steel; certainly I've never found anything with better edge retention.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 413 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.