The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#273001 - 11/23/14 03:23 PM Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link
TonyE Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: eastern PA
The fiador knot is used to make bridles for horses. It has other uses as well. There is one upper loop and two lower loops that can be made any size. It can be hung from a belt or any appropriate place. The sliding knots I added to the lower example clamp down snugly on flashlight, water bottle, or whatever.

For a tutorial see
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about1942.html

#273002 - 11/23/14 10:04 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: TonyE]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Thanks a lot, never heard of that one before. And neither has my favourite app "Animated knots by Grog". At least, I couldn't find it there.

#273003 - 11/23/14 10:24 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: MostlyHarmless]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Thanks a lot, never heard of that one before. And neither has my favourite app "Animated knots by Grog". At least, I couldn't find it
http://www.animatedknots.com/fiador/inde...imatedknots.com

#273005 - 11/23/14 11:21 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: TonyE]
TonyE Offline
Enthusiast

The ordinary fiador knot (as shown in the animated knots link) is basicly a four strand diamond - left and right of center- lower knot. The Mattthew Walker Knot (MWK) style fiador knot is a four strand MWK. The tutorial link for the MWK style is given in my first post. Tony

Edited by TonyE (11/23/14 11:26 PM)

#273012 - 11/24/14 03:11 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: TonyE]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: TonyE
The fiador knot is used to make bridles for horses. It has other uses as well. The sliding knots I added to the lower example clamp down snugly on flashlight, water bottle, or whatever.

What sliding knot did you use?

#273014 - 11/24/14 03:56 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: yee]
TonyE Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: yee
The fiador knot is used to make bridles for horses. It has other uses as well. The sliding knots I added to the lower example clamp down snugly on flashlight, water bottle, or whatever.

What sliding knot did you use?

I used a cobra knot same as in making a simple bracelet. Tony

Edited by TonyE (11/24/14 03:56 PM)

#273015 - 11/24/14 05:27 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: TonyE]
yee Offline

The fiador knot is used to make bridles for horses. It has other uses as well. There is one upper loop and two lower loops that can be made any size.

Quick question. I've been thinking about the fiador since you posted it.

The fiador is a relatively complex knot. Using the fiador for horses fulfills a need that nothing else does but I am at a loss of other uses. A quick google search also fails to bring up other applications.

What does the fiador bring to the table that something simpler doesn't? I suggest an alternative knot could be a bowline on a bight and then tying the two ends for the third loop (with a sheetbend or anything convenient).

#273018 - 11/24/14 09:08 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: yee]
TonyE Offline
Enthusiast

The fiador knot is used to make bridles for horses. It has other uses as well. There is one upper loop and two lower loops that can be made any size.

Quick question. I've been thinking about the fiador since you posted it.

The fiador is a relatively complex knot. Using the fiador for horses fulfills a need that nothing else does but I am at a loss of other uses. A quick google search also fails to bring up other applications.

What does the fiador bring to the table that something simpler doesn't? I suggest an alternative knot could be a bowline on a bight and then tying the two ends for the third loop (with a sheetbend or anything convenient).

You are right that the bowline on a bight would be simpler. However the MWK style fiador can be tied tighter than the bowline so that the ends can be trimmed close to the knot without fear of the knot coming undone. There is no bulky extra knot (sheet bend)to worry about getting in the way or loosening up.
The fiador IS designed for a specific use that other knots can not accomplish. But it serves other uses as well . Tony

#273020 - 11/24/14 09:38 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Tie a bowline using a bight rather than a single strand. You will then have three independent loops which are independently adjustable. If two loops will suffice, it is hard to beat a bowline on a bight, IMHO.

#273021 - 11/24/14 09:38 PM Re: Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link [Re: TonyE]
yee Offline

The fiador IS designed for a specific use that other knots can not accomplish. But it serves other uses as well.

But what are these other uses? I can't think of anything OTHER than on a horse. Any other application, simpler knots suffice.
KISS.

I am reluctant to add the fiador to my bag of tricks until I can think of such a use. For instance, I commonly use the zeppelin Bend over the sheetbend even though it is more difficult to tie because

1. It is stronger then the sheetbend
2. It doesn't bind even after stress is applied.

What does the fiador bring to the table that the bowline on a bight with an additional sheetbend doesn't? Except for equine applications, the fiador is listed as a decorative knot only.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.