Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#272918 - 11/19/14 07:55 AM did Buffalo get a warning?
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i was working in the basement today sorting out a heap of camp gear when a buddy in Rochester NY called to see if had heard the news about the storm in Buffalo NY.i'm in Minneapolis and while it's cold we don't have much snow and was not around a TV.
well i had no idea the lake effect snow shut down the area on the east side of lake Erie.thats nothing new that area gets pounded by snow off the lake when things are just right.
so the question is with the huge blob of cold that was in Minnesota and moving east crossing the great lakes were there any heavy snow warnings out? did folks have a chance to make milk and bread runs a day or so before this hit.
the coasts get hurricane warnings and the Midwest tornado but did Buffalo get a warning,not that i heard of on the news or national weather reports.from what i saw it looks like people got caught off guard.
that something to think about if your planning to "weather" out an emergency.

#272920 - 11/19/14 12:41 PM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Surely one of the local weather-guessers saw the possibility of snow in the forecast, or do they not do their own forecasts and just read the teleprompter... Sorry, I slipped back into the '60's for a moment...

#272921 - 11/19/14 03:11 PM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I happened to spend a lot of time watching the Weather Channel and they were full of warnings about lake effect snow in the days leading up to the event - not just talk by the Nice Lady, but graphic depictions of the result of cold air blowing across relatively warm water.

I learned enough so that it is exceedingly improbable that I will relocate from So Cal to Buffalo without buying a good pair of skis and matching snowshoes....

#272924 - 11/19/14 04:08 PM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I'm also in southern California, and I heard it was coming too.

If I lived in the North I would try to always be prepared for that sort of thing. Even here I always have milk and bread in the freezer--so no milk and bread runs for me.

#272932 - 11/19/14 06:55 PM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Sounds like Buffalo was split in two regarding the snow--heavy, heavy snowfall in the south and not much to the north.

Check out the time-lapse video of the "snow wall" that dumped so much snow on Buffalo here. The time-lapse of the weather radar on that webpage is freaky, too. Literally looks like a conveyor belt of snow running over southern buffalo.

#272947 - 11/20/14 03:51 PM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
my niece lives in buffalo, I'll ask her and let you all know

#272953 - 11/20/14 06:25 PM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Here's what my niece had to say:

Initially they were predicting 1-2 feet (which isn't a major situation here). After we quickly passed that amount they switched it to 3-4 feet and once we again passed that mark they predicted 5-6 feet. We got an additional 8 inches last night, but I think this storm is done for us.

#272965 - 11/21/14 02:31 AM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Growing up in Minnesota, we were always prepared to hunker down in a blizzard for a while. But then again, we were always prepared for everything (parents lived through the Great Depression, it changed their souls).

I wonder how many people are trapped with nothing inside their houses/apartments? A lot of younger people probably are as they grew up in mild winters and false senses of security. The middle-aged folks probably remember hugh snowdrifts and so prepared...but I'm just guessing.
-Blast, warm and cozy in Texas!
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#272984 - 11/22/14 06:47 AM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Buffalo, and most places downwind of the great lakes, get some lake effect snow most every year. It gets dramatic when the cold winds hit while the water is still warm. Buffalo has been the butt of excessive snow jokes for a long time, though Syracuse and Clay are even worse (http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html). The Army moved its cold weather training operation out of Alaska to Watertown/ Fort Drum years ago-because Western NY just sucks that bad. Most residents of the niagara frontier are painfully aware of the snowy possibilities, but the municipalities are also quite proficient at snow removal, cuz they get to practice. a lot.
In most respects, I prefer blizzards to hurricanes. It is the experience of freezing rain that sent me scuttling south.

#272993 - 11/23/14 12:00 AM Re: did Buffalo get a warning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
well i guess you don't sound the warning sirens for a snow storm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.