The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271472 - 08/28/14 02:15 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: BruceZed]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Like Bruce, I just take a coil of paracord and don't bother with anything fancy. 20' is in my backpack, a 100' coil is in my truck. After a short time the knots/twists/turns in the cord become something you need to deal with when you use it for something other than as a fashion accessory. I cut it to length, melt the ends, loop it and call it done. YMMV

#271473 - 08/28/14 03:00 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Russ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Ditto

#271477 - 08/28/14 09:07 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Yeah they're all the rage. But finding one to fit my wrist, or the little woman's slender wrist just didn't seem worth the effort.
Until now.
I've found a buckle which not only has a whistle, but a small ferro rod and scraper built in.
Does anyone know anything about braiding these bracelets? Such as a website called braiding for dummies with big clumsy hands? And can additional supplies be concealed in the braiding?
Thanks.

Three options. All are "easy" using hemostats or crochet hooks in the "K" through "L" size range, all eat up an incredible amount of cordage, and all can be unraveled by undoing a few loops and pulling on the running end:

1) Double Chain Sinnet, also called a Bugler's Braid. Works best with homestats. Attach it to the first buckle half (2 piece sidelock buckle) in step 4 by running the new bight through the strap loop on the buckle before running it through the previous bight.

http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/bugle-braid.html

To finish it, pass the next to last bight through stap loop on the second buckle half, the pass the final bight and running end of the cord through it before tightening it down. Tie off the running end with a bulky stopper knot (oysterman's or double overhand) and/or a toggle bead.

2) Crochet. No I'm not kidding, it is very easy to crochet paracord. A single crochet stitch produces the tightest pattern and have the least give, and a triple crochet stitch will cover the greatest area and be the 'stretchiest'. These are the basic instructions, but a video tutorial would be better. You will have to get creative to attach them to the buckles.

http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-single-crochet-stitches-sc/
http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-double-crochet-stitches-dc/
http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-treble-crochet-stitches-tr/

3) Slatt's rescue belt. No preference to hemostats or crochet hooks. Unholy pain to dress the knot.

http://www.orionn49.com/slatts_rescue_belt_knot1.htm

There are a lot more patterns, but these are the three that I think are best suited for a 'survival' bracelet.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#272592 - 10/29/14 09:38 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I prefer to use paracord bracelets that serve multiple functions and they're an important element of my 1st-line gear loadout. In urban contexts I use an ankle bracelet that has tools appropriate to that environment. In a wilderness context here's what I'm using now.

- I made this quick-deploy bracelet correctly on the first try in about 10 minutes. It unfurls in seconds with no hassle. There are multiple variations on this weave, just check YouTube.

- 550 cord (type III) can be unnecessarily bulky. I made my bracelet with slimmer mil-spec type II cord. You can also use commercial 4-strand cord that's even slimmer and comes in many colors. Try different quick-deploy weaves to get the bracelet thickness you prefer. Narrow cord allows you to use a smaller buckle size for even less overall bulk.

- I integrated this little ferro rod and this magnesium rod into the bracelet, along with waterproof jute cord and a section of correspondingly sized bicycle inner tube which gives me two types independent waterproof tinder that don't need an open flame to light. If conditions are really wet then once the magnesium and/or jute is lit, burn a piece of the inner tube. I slipped a 1-1/4" long piece of a hacksaw blade under the inner tube as a ferro striker/scraper. A simple washer works too as long as it has a clean 90 degree edge that isn't rounded off. I've tested all these components together and they work great.

- The whistle on these 1/2" contoured buckles is surprisingly effective, beats yelling yourself hoarse any day, and there's no downside to having it. If you desire a breakaway type buckle those are available too.

My bracelet gives me reliable firestarters, extra cordage, and a decent whistle in a slim package that almost can't be lost or left in camp.

#272612 - 10/30/14 01:57 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I thought this post had run it's course. Thanks for the great info and lin ks Glock.
I recently purchased a a premade bracelet out of China with a whistle/ferro rod buckle. It arrived well made and for 2.27 I shouldn't complain. But it was huge! I have big wrists but this thing was so big I can wwear it on my ankle. I glued a tiny compass on it but the scraper would pop it off everytime. Scraping off the super glue I used super glue fix all and it worked just fine. I think Ill try to make a quick deploy bracelet.

#272613 - 10/30/14 02:06 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Roger that, Death. IMO a paracord bracelet is like a survival kit: it's best to make your own so it fits your needs. And it's a fun exercise to pick & choose from the various components to come up with what is a great tool in the toolbox.

#272617 - 10/30/14 05:18 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Plus, it's a lot harder to lose than other gear, Glock. And as we discussed in our group once, if taken prisoner/hostage in the wilderness a bracelet or anklet might be overlooked, leaving at least SOME gear if you can escape. We also discussed using tubular webbing with a ferro buckle. Has anyone tried this? You wouldnt have the para cord, unless you braided over the webbing, but you could put a lot of tiny gear in the tube.

#272633 - 10/31/14 12:58 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I guess I am just not a fan of survival bracelets. If I want cordage, I include it in my kit (and no question, cordage is highly useful).

I do worry about a loop of very strong cordage around my wrist where it could catch in machinery, etc., or get caught on something during a fall (especially a climbing situation). I generally remove my wedding band when climbing - they areknown for causing deglovement injuries, which are rather nasty.

#272648 - 10/31/14 04:26 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I do worry about a loop of very strong cordage around my wrist where it could catch in machinery, etc., or get caught on something during a fall (especially a climbing situation). I generally remove my wedding band when climbing - they are known for causing deglovement injuries, which are rather nasty.

The bracelet's potential for snagging is a concern for me too. Like you, I remove my wedding ring when adventuring. And I use a breakaway clasp on the paracord necklace I wear in the field.

I am going to experiment with modifying a whistle buckle by carefully grinding off a bit of the outer edges of the buckle's male side 'prongs'. The 'hook' at these spots is what engages with the female side of the buckle, and I think if you shaved a bit off of those hook edges you could make the buckle release when overly loaded.

Then again, I'm a tinkerer and I realize most people won't bother with it.

#272899 - 11/18/14 04:17 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
MedB Offline

This?

The Kodiak

* Premade in different color paracord
* Ferrorod and Striker
* Fishhook woven in
* Fishing line in braid
* Jute tinder in braid

Edited by MedB (11/19/14 11:48 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.