Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#272638 - 10/31/14 02:32 AM Re: WINTER! [Re: MartinFocazio]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I know the Ebola stuff is interesting and all that, but for those of us in the Norther Hemisphere, you might want to focus your efforts on something that WILL affect you personally, and that's WINTER. It's time to check the engines, change the oil in the generator, rotate out fuels for fresh stores, get those pantry items reviewed and be equipped for ice storms, snow storms and general yuk weather.

I just swapped out all my gas and diesel stores for fresh stuff, shut down the outside plumbing, had all the chimneys cleaned professionally. Also bought an "emergency" supply of instant coffee and fake creamer. Just in case.

- I put on the snow tires the other day - brand new Blizzaks on my SUV, got them on sale too!
- Updated my BOB / Get home bag with more fire starting stuff.
- Stored bottled water in vehicle and bought a couple boxes of protein bars.
- Told my boss about my desire to do a vehicle safety kit presentation & PowerPoint. (He's is a hunter and very much liked the idea.)
- I turned off the outside hose bibs in mid-September during a cold spell where it dropped below freezing. It was late in the year so I figured the lawn didn't need watering and the maintenance guys would blow out the sprinklers soon enough.

#272639 - 10/31/14 02:34 AM Re: WINTER! [Re: Nomad]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Nomad
We are winterizing our RV in the traditional way. Parking it next to a cactus. Left Maine two days ago, headed for Arizona.

This post is the reason why we need a Facebook "like" button!

#272672 - 11/01/14 05:07 PM Re: WINTER! [Re: MartinFocazio]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
not much prep here,just turned over the rain barrel,covered my canoes and put garden stuff away.
i have thought about a generator to run our gas furnace if there is a big power failure but we have not had anything over all these years that lasted more than a hour or two.i did find a kerosene heater at a yard sale that was like new and i have that and 10 gallons of fuel set aside.the idea is that we would move things into one small room with the heater and wait things out.
with that and lots of camping gear,stoves,lamps,sleeping bags and so on we would be just fine.
my wife works at the Vets Hospital just a few blocks away and would be there all day so just me and the dogs would have to huddle together during the day!

#272674 - 11/01/14 06:07 PM Re: WINTER! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
A couple of tips for the kerosene heater (based on Dad's use of one back home):

1. First of the season lighting may produce some very strong odors. You may want to try it and let it burn off the odors (if any).

2. I don't think I really need to mention it, but for other readers. . .venting to avoid CO, especially in a small room. It might be wise to pick up a battery powered CO detector and keep it in the room where you are using the heater. Here is one:
http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-CO400-...red+CO+detector

#272685 - 11/02/14 12:29 PM Re: WINTER! [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I've tried Klim. Would rather go without anything. Blech!

#272686 - 11/02/14 12:32 PM Re: WINTER! [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Well, I don't know where your YOUR dipotassium phosphate for your diet, but fake creamer gives me all I can handle. smile AND I could use its explosive properties to improvise a distress signal. Or weapon. Or something.

&#9658; 2:38
Mythbusters - Creamer Cannon - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

#272704 - 11/04/14 02:21 AM Re: WINTER! [Re: MartinFocazio]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I've tried Klim. Would rather go without anything. Blech!

The first time I ever heard the word Klim was on a TV special about the Great Escape and they showed the excavation where they found old Klim cans. Klim is powdered milk and is simply an inverse spelling. BUT... I am seem to be off topic for winter preparedness! smile

"Klim cans were approximately four inches in diameter and three inches deep. The metal in the cans could be fashioned into a variety of different tools and other useful items such as scoops and candle holders. Klim cans were instrumental in the escape attempt from Stalag Luft III. In the book Under The Wire, William Ash and Brendan Foley tell how World War II prisoners of war removed the bottoms from the tins and hooked them together to form airtight pipes to provide air while digging escape tunnels. Scavenged Klim cans were used in the construction of the extensive ventilation ducting in three tunnels that lead out of the prison camp. One former prisoner at Stalag Luft III, Charles Huppert, told how prisoners became expert at turning tin cans into tools. Huppert said, "We used Klim tins for everything that we made, because you could cut the ends out, and have a large piece of tin to work with. You can straighten that out flat, and make a ... join them together in a locked joint, such as this, and take your wooden mallet and hammer them down. Then you take your backside of a knife and bear down on that, with a lot of pressure on both sides of that crimp, so that the tin will not separate, in order to make the tools that are used in the tunnels: the digging tools, the funnels, and the lamps to give light." - Wikipedia

#272709 - 11/04/14 03:01 PM Re: WINTER! [Re: MartinFocazio]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
On the topic of Winter-

Ventless fireplaces-
We currently have the cheap "came with the house" gas insert; pretty, darn near no heat.

Was looking at the log sets that are vent free; open the flue if dont need as much heat, close flue and keep all the heat.

Comments, concerns, pros/cons?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.