Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#272634 - 10/31/14 01:29 AM Survival in the north
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
http://panow.com/article/481324/mother-uses-survival-skills-help-keep-stranded-family-alive

Using the skills learned from hunting and trapping for 20 years (taught by her father), a Wollaston Lake (pop. 125) woman kept her family going for three days while they were stranded on a small island. “So, the wind blew us to the shore, and we stayed on the island for three days stranded there,” she said. Tsannie said they didn’t have a tent, but used a tarp for shelter. She also found something to cook their food in and had to keep the fire going. Her brother had been sick for two out of the three days, but when he recovered, Tsannie told her brother to help her paddle. Now back in the boat, she said they paddled for six hours. They also made a sail using the tarp and two big logs tied to the edge of the boat with a rope (to increase their visibility).

“Because it was raining, the wood got all wet, and my brother got sick on me, so I had to stay up all night chopping up wood, keep the fire going, keep my girls warm.”

Note: Please understand that there is actually NO cell phone coverage in the region. The family was using a cell radio 'beam' from SaskTel to Key Lake mine or Points North. A very narrow and isolated signal that is nearly impossible to get.

The stranding wasn't their fault either. They had enough gas but a relative mistakenly relieved them of some of their gas cans when he was dropped off.

When the four returned home, Tsannie said she got a reaction from within the community that she hadn’t expected. She said some people were crying. “It was touching.” Its good to hear the good stories about how people kept their wits to survive the elements.

#272637 - 10/31/14 02:24 AM Re: Survival in the north [Re: Roarmeister]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good story. She was not only able to keep her wits about her but also lead her party appropriately to make good decisions and maintain a positive mental attitude.

#272651 - 10/31/14 05:26 PM Re: Survival in the north [Re: Roarmeister]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Survival in these conditions is a lot of work, require perseverance, training, and real survival skills

I have had the privilege of teaching survival four times North-West of Wollaston Lake. This area is very remote and the best you can do for firewood is searching the forest for dead seasoned Jack Pine. Resource are very scarce in this forest and trees are far apart. This is a picture from my last trip up their to teach a course in early April. Note the distance between trees and the small diameter of the trees. Please note this was my chosen area to teach in, i.e. the best forest I could find on high ground in the area after 4 trips to the area. This lush of a forest would be something you would never find near the shore of a lake.

The search for a nights wood in these conditions often takes participants 4 hours, even with 2 people per Fire and its often means walking 500m for wood. I actually took this photo as I was wandering the forest looking for wood for my fire for that night.
boreal.net

#272652 - 10/31/14 05:50 PM Re: Survival in the north [Re: Roarmeister]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Proving that the little incidental things we teach children can indeed save thier lives some day.

#272655 - 10/31/14 06:18 PM Re: Survival in the north [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I dunno, Bruce,that looks pretty lush compared to a lot of the Sonoran Desert. Plus there is lots of water!

#272658 - 10/31/14 08:01 PM Re: Survival in the north [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I dunno, Bruce,that looks pretty lush compared to a lot of the Sonoran Desert. Plus there is lots of water!

I didn't say I wanted to get trapped in the Sonoran Desert either!
boreal.net

#272660 - 10/31/14 08:06 PM Re: Survival in the north [Re: BruceZed]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BruceZed
Originally Posted By: hikermor

I didn't say I wanted to get trapped in the Sonoran Desert either!

My last outing with students was Death Valley, in July! They would have gladly traded while we were walking through there. But, if it were reversed, they would have been wishing for the desert.

#272666 - 11/01/14 02:18 PM Re: Survival in the north [Re: Roarmeister]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Kudos to that mom for a job well done!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.