Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#244065 - 03/30/12 05:03 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: Hikin_Jim]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
One of the worst "boo boos" I've ever done is when I was out X-Country skiing. I didn't have a map (mistake #1), but I had seen a map and knew that a road cut across my path. So, I thought I'd ski a compass bearing. I'd hit the road, turn left to the main road, and follow the main road back to camp.

Except that they don't plow that road in winter. I skied right over the road without knowing it. I kept looking at my watch thinking "why the heck haven't I reached that road yet?" Finally, it was getting dark and the people I was with were starting to get scared. Using a compass bearing, we turned toward the main road. We did get to the road, and we even got picked up by someone who kindly gave us a lift back to camp.
People sometimes don't realize how different even familiar terrain can be when covered with snow. It is real easy to do what you did, and ski right across a road without realizing it. However, you recognized you had a problem while you were still in a position to do something about it. Before it was totally dark, and everyone in the group was exhausted. And you had a compass and knew how to use it.

Good on you!

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
-Be careful of assumptions about terrain. If it ain't adding up, then you might just want to abort a loop trip and return the way you came. Retracing your steps isn't "admitting defeat;" it's a smart survival technique.
HJ
Yes!

Virtually every time I have become lost, it was because I didn't listen (until late in the game) to that little voice that says "something's just not right here!" And when I do tune into that little voice, it has almost always saves me a lot of grief. And how often a short back track, even uphill when you are tired, is way better than pushing on, hoping things will somehow sort themselves out!

#244079 - 03/30/12 02:44 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: chaosmagnet]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
All I'm saying, and the other admins will correct me if I'm wrong, is that you can discuss firearms as survival tools but if anybody feels the need to lobby for/against the carry/use/ownership of guns they need to do it on one of the many sites where that is permissible. Keep it civil and sane and there's no problem.

Well said.

chaosmagnet

I think this site should have a policy of not discussing firearms at all. It gets annoying when a seemingly useful discussion gets locked because somebody didn't tiptoe in the correct manner with respect to firearms.

No need to remind me, I'm obviously a guest here. I still have an opinion about what's appropriate. While obviously it's your site, it's also part of my experience in my life, and I have contributed a significant amount of intellectual property here.

I come in peace. -ireckon

#244089 - 03/30/12 05:42 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: ireckon]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I think this site should have a policy of not discussing firearms at all. It gets annoying when a seemingly useful discussion gets locked because somebody didn't tiptoe in the correct manner with respect to firearms.

IMHO, I think we mostly do a good job around here. Other than the odd blip, we've had many gun discussions that are quite interesting. I've learned to appreciate them and their place in preps. I've had people suggest that I carry one, and when I ask for suggestions about EDC, PSK, BOB, etc.... I expect it to come up. The key for me is that I've never felt like I had to defend myself as to why I don't carry one. As a non-gun owner, I really appreciate that respect.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244095 - 03/30/12 06:22 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: NightHiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: NightHiker

And I promise to not make you defend your decision not to carry a firearm as long as you don't make me defend mine not to carry a satelitte beacon. wink

Deal!! smile

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244099 - 03/30/12 06:45 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: bacpacjac]
mattmayhem Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: ireckon

IMHO, I think we mostly do a good job around here. Other than the odd blip, we've had many gun discussions that are quite interesting. I've learned to appreciate them and their place in preps. I've had people suggest that I carry one, and when I ask for suggestions about EDC, PSK, BOB, etc.... I expect it to come up. The key for me is that I've never felt like I had to defend myself as to why I don't carry one. As a non-gun owner, I really appreciate that respect.

Not to start a discussion on the politics but not to mention being in Canada, we don't have the option to carry anyways.

#244108 - 03/30/12 07:31 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: NightHiker]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

How did we go from losing our gear to a firearms discussion?

#244528 - 04/06/12 02:34 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: Frisket]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Wandering off from camp for what ever reason is just way tooo....Simple? When dealing with people who put their mind to making a PSK and picking a Knife and Considering preparations for survival why would one such individual Not take some form of gear with them?
I think it's fair to say, whenever someone with gear gets separated from it accidentally, they feel pretty stupid about it afterwards. If we were smart, it'd never happen.

#244552 - 04/06/12 05:30 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: Frisket]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
wandering off is one of the few problems we have with lost people here in Minnesota.no mountains or deserts of course but the forests sort of all look the same with no real high places to get up and look around,the woods are deep in places with no real view of where your going.there are some very old over grown logging roads from the horse drawn wagon era and people get on those thinking they will lead someplace but they just end up deeper in the woods.i have never been lost but did get out of the canoe to look for a portage and by the time i wandered back and forth looking for a path,some are nothing more than game trails,i came back to the lake by just going down hill and found that i was 100's of yards from where i left the canoe.

Hmmmmmm..i don't remember pushing thru this thicket on the way in.
maybe if i walk over the other way around it i'll get back to camp before this rain comes on------

this is not right at all!!..i'll pick up the pace and trot thru here..i have to be close by now..puff--puff-puff----

#244559 - 04/06/12 06:58 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

LOL. Good one. Great pics. I've done a lil SAR and in the nearest major city there are mountains nearby. Every year people get lost on the main one. I'm always like, How? See all that glitter? Thats the city. It's dark? Look at that glow below you. That's the city. WALK DOWN HILL! It makes one wonder.

#244568 - 04/07/12 12:11 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I've done a lot of SAR centered on Tucson, AZ, which is basically surrounded by mountains. Especially in the Santa Catalinas, I have seen the city lights casting shadows at night. However, one of the best and easiest ways to get hopelessly lost and tangled up in some very rough country is to blindly strike out for those city lights and walk downhill. We have pulled dozens of people (and sometimes their corpses) out of those hills who attempted just that without knowledge of the country or a decent map.

I know this general situation is repeated in many locales around the world. It is one thing to see where you want to go, and another thing to be able to get there.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.