Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#272549 - 10/29/14 12:25 AM Suggestions for a good survival flashlight
ATN Offline

I was looking for suggestions for a good survival flashlight. I appreciate any insights smile

#272551 - 10/29/14 01:35 AM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: ATN]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Fenix T1

The most recent torch added to the collection has been a Nitecore EA41.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/29/14 01:43 AM)

#272552 - 10/29/14 01:37 AM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: ATN]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The subject of flashlights has been discussed at length in numerous threads. The search function is your friend. cool

#272553 - 10/29/14 02:29 AM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: ATN]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ATN
I was looking for suggestions for a good survival flashlight.

I think some clarification would help. "Survival" could mean so many different things to people. Intended use? Size? Cost? Preferred battery type? How much light do you need? Are you OK with a headlamp?

#272555 - 10/29/14 03:04 AM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: Arney]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Arney

I think some clarification would help. "Survival" could mean so many different things to people. Intended use? Size? Cost? Preferred battery type? How much light do you need? Are you OK with a headlamp?

Yes, intended use is important. Escaping a dark building? Signaling? Searching for others that may be lost? Reading or doing other close at hand work?

You may not need a light at all for a real survival situation, but a powerful light may save your life. Most camping and living in the woods only requires a relatively low power light just to see what you are doing.

Signaling needs more power to reach potential rescuers.

Searching for others does require more power.

I EDC a Block Light that attaches to a 9 volt battery. It is good enough for most uses. I also have an 1100 lumen Streamlight as I am generally responsible for the safety of others, and it makes it easier to find them.

I also have a good headlamp (I have several brands and models around) as I find them useful when I need my hands for other tasks.

So many variable to consider.

#272563 - 10/29/14 04:37 AM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: gonewiththewind]
ATN Offline

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Originally Posted By: Arney

Yes, intended use is important. Escaping a dark building? Signaling? Searching for others that may be lost? Reading or doing other close at hand work?

You may not need a light at all for a real survival situation, but a powerful light may save your life. Most camping and living in the woods only requires a relatively low power light just to see what you are doing.

Signaling needs more power to reach potential rescuers.

Searching for others does require more power.

I EDC a Block Light that attaches to a 9 volt battery. It is good enough for most uses. I also have an 1100 lumen Streamlight as I am generally responsible for the safety of others, and it makes it easier to find them.

I also have a good headlamp (I have several brands and models around) as I find them useful when I need my hands for other tasks.

So many variable to consider.

I apologize for my vagueness and will try to be more specific in the future smile My survival light would go with my 72 hour pack. I haven't used headlamps that often but I'd be willing to give them a go. The main uses would be navigating the wilderness and signaling for help.

#272564 - 10/29/14 05:03 AM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: ATN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Basically you want a headlamp. You can always carry it in your hand when conditions warrant. It is much more difficult to carry a flashlight on your head. There are many situations where you will need both hands.

Dependability and reliability are extremely critical. The tint of the light and the number of lumens is not nearly so critical as the simple fact that it will produce light every time you activate it.

There are many fine models and makes out there. I really like my Zebralight headlamp and I have some very fine lights made by Fenix. There are many others.

Check out candlepower forums for an incredible amount of information by serious, dedicated nerds.

#272567 - 10/29/14 01:51 PM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: ATN]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Having a light that can run at lower brightnesses for long periods is very useful. Headlamps are very useful.

Personally, I prefer lights that run om 18650 lithium ion rechargables.

My current lights of preference:

Zebralight headlamps. Very compact and light 18650 form factor. Downsides, button easy to bump on unintentionally and non intuitive UI. Can't run primary lithiums.

Spark headlamp. Better UI, can get optional lens to convert between full flood and more focused. Can run 2x123A or 1x18650. Downsides, heavier/bulkier than Zebralight.

HDS Rotary. Dim to bright with the turn of the knob. Very intuitive UI, bombproof. Pending 18650 tube. Downsides, cost.

Edited by JohnN (10/30/14 12:51 PM)

#272570 - 10/29/14 02:44 PM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: ATN]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
hikermor,

I am looking for a good headlamp for my backpack. I like the looks of the Zebralight 123 series and their AA. A question though - do you have the frosted or flood styles? Which would you get if you did it again? Why?

Thanks,

Jerry

#272571 - 10/29/14 02:49 PM Re: Suggestions for a good survival flashlight [Re: ATN]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I like my 4sevens Quark AA2 Tactical:

http://www.amazon.com/FOURSEVENS-Black-F...evens+quark+aa2

Pros: multi-modes from very low long lasting, to very high with SOS and Strobe flashing. 2 AA batteries (I prefer AA batteries); you can program 2 modes that are simple to switch between.

Con: switching between all the different modes can be a bit of a "fiddle."

It does not replace a good headlamp; you should have one of those also.

usual disclaimer, no affiliation

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.