The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#272477 - 10/25/14 11:42 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
How you carry the bag makes a big difference. I used a laptop bag once and was horrified how heavy it seemed, compared to the same weight in a rucksack.

A rucksack can also be the bottom of an improvised bivvy bag, if you are wearing a long jacket, is a lot more expandable; you can tie items to it and one can easily carry a coat under the top (ideally get longer staps fitted).

Also of course a laptop bag screams: 'something here worth stealing'.
qjs

#272478 - 10/25/14 02:18 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Be realistic. 10lb/5kg.
GHB presumes that you have no access to transportation except for the Feet, Mk 1, General Issue.
5kg is equivalent to 5 bags of suger. That's alot to carry any real distance.
It's strictly food, water, shelter. Everything else should be on your person.

#272479 - 10/25/14 02:37 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
One other point: The bag you carry it in is the key element.
A bad bag?
Expect serious pain.

#272480 - 10/25/14 02:41 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree. Furthermore, a BOB intended to be carried on your back should be the same. If you need to bug out, you need to be able to move quickly. Heavy packs slow you down and tire you out. Stash survival gear in a cache or at a site where you can wait out the "storm".

My intent is to bug in, at least initially. YMMV

#272482 - 10/25/14 03:20 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thinking about a 72-hour bag for reasonably temperate climes my thoughts start at "the rule of threes" and go like this:

• Shelter: At least a Heatsheets blanket, some cordage and a knife, along with wearing clothes appropriate for the location and season
  • Water: By far the heaviest part of what I would have, in addition to bringing clean water I would also want to have chlorine dioxide tabs, a small cookpot, and firestarting materials
  • Food: Not essential for 72 hours but awfully nice to have, there are a lot of options here but try to find something that isn't terribly thirst-provoking
  • Communication: A charger for your cellphone, a PLB or a SEND, this is the thing that if it works keeps you from needing all the other things, or at least needing them for as long
  • Knife: At the minimum a good folding knife and a good multitool, preferably add a fixed blade knife as well if you're going to do any serious shelter-building or fire-starting
  • Fire: Lighter, matches, firesteel, tinder, redundancy is cheap and light while not being able to start a fire may end badly for you
  • Flashlight: After communication, knife and fire this is the most important thing that I think is really hard to improvise, have a good one
  • Navigation: Staying put once you're lost is usually best, but having a map and compass may keep you from getting lost in the first place

Altogether, not including appropriate clothes and footwear, but including half of the weight being water, you're looking at around twenty pounds. Keep in mind that you may need to add more water, or a sleep system, or a tent, or other things depending on where you are and what you're doing.

EDITED TO ADD:

My Internet was flakey when I posted this. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Add first aid, sunscreen, bug spray, and duct tape.

Edited by chaosmagnet (10/25/14 03:25 PM)

#272484 - 10/25/14 07:08 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
It won't do you much good at the North pole, for example, but in many other situations, it may give you a good shot for short term survival.

A 72hr BOB for the North Pole is possible weighing in less than 25lbs but it is going to get expensive, with your tent, sleeping bag, mat and stove etc. wink

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-1200-down-sleeping-bag-k-series

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-down-suit-k-series

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/voyager-ultra-2-tent/

http://www.exped.com/en/product-category/mats/downmat-xp-9-lw

http://www.primus.eu/omnilite-ti

#272485 - 10/25/14 07:46 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That is the high end way to go certainly, but if you know what you are doing, the cost and weight will decline considerably. Instead of the expensive tent, fabricate a snow cave, which is both cheaper and more suitable, at least based on my limited near-Arctic experience. Same goes for the rest of the gear...

A lot depends upon what we mean by "survival," specifically the degree of discomfort that is tolerable. And, again, ambient conditions are all important.

#272488 - 10/25/14 11:07 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Carry what you can actually handle, but situation is more important than rules when trying to figure out what you can/should carry!
boreal.net

#272490 - 10/26/14 02:14 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: chaosmagnet]
ATN Offline

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Thinking about a 72-hour bag for reasonably temperate climes my thoughts start at "the rule of threes" and go like this:

• Shelter: At least a Heatsheets blanket, some cordage and a knife, along with wearing clothes appropriate for the location and season
  • Water: By far the heaviest part of what I would have, in addition to bringing clean water I would also want to have chlorine dioxide tabs, a small cookpot, and firestarting materials
  • Food: Not essential for 72 hours but awfully nice to have, there are a lot of options here but try to find something that isn't terribly thirst-provoking
  • Communication: A charger for your cellphone, a PLB or a SEND, this is the thing that if it works keeps you from needing all the other things, or at least needing them for as long
  • Knife: At the minimum a good folding knife and a good multitool, preferably add a fixed blade knife as well if you're going to do any serious shelter-building or fire-starting
  • Fire: Lighter, matches, firesteel, tinder, redundancy is cheap and light while not being able to start a fire may end badly for you
  • Flashlight: After communication, knife and fire this is the most important thing that I think is really hard to improvise, have a good one
  • Navigation: Staying put once you're lost is usually best, but having a map and compass may keep you from getting lost in the first place

Altogether, not including appropriate clothes and footwear, but including half of the weight being water, you're looking at around twenty pounds. Keep in mind that you may need to add more water, or a sleep system, or a tent, or other things depending on where you are and what you're doing.

EDITED TO ADD:

My Internet was flakey when I posted this. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Add first aid, sunscreen, bug spray, and duct tape.

That is a good list. I have a lot of the above. I'm looking for a good personal location beacon. I saw someone mention ACR. Is that the best one or is there something better?

#272491 - 10/26/14 06:41 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
ATN..i got at ARC after many years of fooling around putting a big ditch kit in my PFD for wilderness canoe trips.now i just have comfort gear to hold me over until the ride arrives.
i picked a ARC because it does not have all the bells and whistles that distract from what i see as a solo canoe trip,call Mom,and just sends a SOS.
for bag weight i would have a real sleeping bag and food as the top items.in the Army many-many years ago i found if you could sleep and eat then you could put up with just about anything else.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (10/26/14 06:42 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.