Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272449 - 10/24/14 04:43 AM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Africans see death in a personal way. and they believe that the dead must be honored and buried in a PROPER way. they are horrified that the bodies of ebola patients are being cremated like garbage. as a result, many families in W. Africa are simply burying their dead in their own backyards. nobody is going to the hospital.

in addition, let me speak about rural African clinics. Ive seen my share close up. you wouldn't take your DOG to be treated at most of these places. medicines are often NOT there at all. "Care" consists of sitting on a dirty bed with no linen. and then going home again. so the truth is ... whether a patient has the common cold or ebola - they don't get much care. the so-called clinic is just a place to die. a graveyard. that is why people dont go.

the casualty figures for ebola that are reported from W. Africa are lowball estimates ... probably by a factor of 2-3. for the reasons I just told you.

Pete

#272454 - 10/24/14 05:36 AM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pete
the casualty figures for ebola that are reported from W. Africa are lowball estimates ... probably by a factor of 2-3.

Yeah, a lot of cases and deaths are not being recorded for a variety of reasons.

"Official WHO Ebola toll near 5,000 with true number nearer 15,000"

#272716 - 11/05/14 04:08 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Been reading various references lately about the press unofficially agreeing to stop reporting on suspected Ebola cases, just confirmed ones, so Ebola news has really dropped off. The midterm elections probably also plays a role.

On the one hand, it's good not to overhype the risk over here, but at the same time, West Africa still needs the spotlight on their outbreak.

#272722 - 11/05/14 08:53 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Arney]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Arney
Been reading various references lately about the press unofficially agreeing to stop reporting on suspected Ebola cases, just confirmed ones,

IMO, this is a good thing; it is better to stop or downplay the number of "suspected" or "potential" cases. This is one of those times when you want to have lots of "its not Ebola" results from "potential" cases. Less likely you will miss the real one. Lots of negative (not Ebola) results means we are being alert and doing the right thing.

We have already seen what can happen if just one person who should have be hospitalized is sent home inappropriately.

#272746 - 11/07/14 09:27 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Experience to date in the US seems to indicate that the CDC and MSF (Doctors Without Borders) has been right all along. You are highly unlikely to get Ebola from someone who is in the early, pre-symptomatic stages of infection. So far the only people who been infected with ebola from another, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease. Even those who lived in the same apartment with him when he was starting to get sick have not become infected.

Dallas Celebrates as Ebola Monitoring Nears an End
Quote:
DALLAS — This city, the first to grapple with Ebola in the United States and the near panic and quarantines the spread of the virus set off, put its Ebola fears behind on Friday. The last person being monitored for symptoms of the disease was expected to be cleared by officials later in the day.

That person — a hospital worker who handled medical waste on Oct. 17 — was part of the final group of people undergoing twice-daily checks in the Dallas region for 21 days, the longest-known incubation period for the disease. The 16 people were all health care workers who had possible contact either with two nurses infected with Ebola at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, with their blood, body fluids or specimens, or with potentially contaminated surfaces or medical waste.

Fifteen of the 16 people were cleared Thursday night, and the last person was scheduled to be cleared about 5 p.m. Friday, after the second and final temperature check of the day to make sure there is no fever. More than 40 other people who had direct or indirect contact with the original Ebola patient in Dallas, Thomas Eric Duncan, 42, were taken off the monitoring list in late October. Mr. Duncan was found to have Ebola after traveling to Dallas from Liberia in September. He died on Oct. 8.

A total of 177 people were monitored in the Dallas region, with only three cases of Ebola confirmed, in Mr. Duncan and in two nurses who treated him, Nina Pham and Amber Joy Vinson. Both nurses have recovered and were declared Ebola-free. About 200 passengers who flew on one of two flights Ms. Vinson took between Dallas and Cleveland before she was given the Ebola diagnosis also underwent monitoring. All have been cleared by state officials.

#272747 - 11/07/14 09:50 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: AKSAR]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Experience to date in the US seems to indicate that the CDC and MSF (Doctors Without Borders) has been right all along. You are highly unlikely to get Ebola from someone who is in the early, pre-symptomatic stages of infection. So far the only people who been infected with ebola from another, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease. Even those who lived in the same apartment with him when he was starting to get sick have not become infected.

This is very good news indeed.

#272748 - 11/07/14 11:24 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: AKSAR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

So far the only people who been infected with ebola from another, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease.

Or perhaps;

'So far the only people who have been infected with ebola that are known off publically, were the two nurses in Dallas who were treating Mr. Duncan, when he was in an advanced stage of the disease.'

I have heard that suspected ebola patients in the USA are being whisked away in th dead of night not to been seen again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOp2gF13-pA

#272750 - 11/07/14 11:46 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And I have heard that suspected Ebola cases are teleported to Scotland and fed to the Loch Ness monster on every full moon.

It would help a lot to cite credible sources, not conspiracy wingnuts.

#272751 - 11/08/14 12:32 AM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And I have heard that suspected Ebola cases are teleported to Scotland and fed to the Loch Ness monster on every full moon.

That information would have been D-noticed in the UK. wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DA-Notice

#272756 - 11/08/14 06:24 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Last week, I started seeing the first articles saying that the outbreak seemed to be slowing in Liberia. That surprised me since Liberia seemed to be where the disease was raging the most, and Liberia seemed the most disorganized in its response.

Thinking it was some sort of problem with data collection, I waited, but now even MSF is confirming that the pace of infection has slowed, so it appears to be a legitimate slowdown.

I posted before about how simply observing empty beds in Ebola treatment units can be misleading because there are many Africans who are scared of going to the ETU's, and that theme is repeated in this new article, but the fact that MSF also reports that the number of burials also seems to be down has convinced me that there is really a slowdown.

However, whether that's a temporarly lull or whether the peak of this outbreak in Liberia is passed is still anyone's guess. Guinea has already gone through a couple of lulls, only to have the disease roar back. The situation is still bad in Sierra Leone, too.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.