Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#272425 - 10/23/14 09:06 PM How much should a survival bag weigh?
ATN Offline

Generally, about how much should a survival bag/survival kit/ bug out bag weigh?
Survival kit weight
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 10/23/14 09:05 PM
View the results of this poll.

#272427 - 10/23/14 10:02 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
And yes I'm guilty of overpacking. My fully loaded (includes water) E&E or GHB IS AROUND 40LBS and my Bugout bag is around 50LBS.

#272432 - 10/24/14 12:24 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
For a properly fitted frame pack: no more then 1/4 of you're ideal body weight, unless you are in very good shape, then it's 1/3. IIRC, this is the maximum weight that can be carried for prolonged periods without physical degredation.

For a properly fitted rucksack (sternum strap, no hip belt), I'd put it at 20-25 lbs starting weight. Since a fair amount is food and water, the pack weight will decrease over time.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#272433 - 10/24/14 12:49 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: ATN
Generally, about how much should a survival bag/survival kit/ bug out bag weigh?
Those are different kits and the reason the votes are distributed is due to different perceptions.

IMO a Bug-Out-Bag is fairly lightweight and is oriented on providing what you need to get to a bug-out location. If you don't have a place to go, why bug-out? A survival bag will mean different things to different people and is situation dependent. Is it designed to sustain you for 72 hours or months? Is it summer, winter or sometime in between?

I'm not big into bugging out with a pack on my back. My Get-Home-Bag weighs less than 15#. My survival kit is truck based and carries a lot more than wildman would want to carry. As I recall Wildman's kit weighs what it does because he may be looking at a long walk. Where I live walking out is not an option.

#272435 - 10/24/14 02:11 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I am currently trying to keep a Vehicle Survival Kit to less than 400kg weight (mostly food and fuel) but this is for survival in potentially sub arctic coastal conditions for up to 1 year.

Kit weight is a matter of what is required to get the job done. Depends on the situation.

There are some practical limitations for myself.

Bicycle - Typically < 60lbs using a trailer.

Backpack - Typically < 40lbs during Winter

#272436 - 10/24/14 02:19 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I ain't gonna weigh mine: I don;t want to know. It has a sweater, knit hat, giant garbage bag, a waterproof knee-length raincoat, an MRE if I need to eat, a full waterbladder, a book, WAY too much admin stuff (paper, pencil, batteries, etc), and a bit of kit for getting a meal, or at least a pot of tea, out. It WILL get me the fifteen miles home from work.
It also has a full complement of the "use of force" continuum: OC spray, a "baton" and a backup sidearm...YMMV.
I don't need navigation stuff for this application, but you might...if I need it, I'll add it.

Hot tea and T.P. are not luxuries.

#272438 - 10/24/14 02:26 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Way too situational for a single answer.

If you're camping many miles from the nearest road, you may have nothing much more than an Altoids tin kit to supplement what you have in your backpack and your knife. If you're commuting by train, you may only have room to add a couple of pounds of gear to your laptop bag. If you're planning for a variety of different contingencies and weight isn't as important because your bag is in the trunk of your car or in your airplane, you may have 50 pounds or more of gear.

Edited by chaosmagnet (10/24/14 05:00 PM)
Edit Reason: horrible spelling mistake for which I am ashamed

#272461 - 10/24/14 04:27 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As others have commented, too many variables. Bear in mind that there are lots of successful survival stories involving no "kits"at all, just the will to live and a resourceful mind.

If you are carrying everything with you, a realistic,practical limit for most of us is somewhere in the 40-45 lb range. Less is much better. Even then, there is an important variable - need for water. Are you in the Arizona desert or the Minnesota north woods?

One could go on and on.....

#272464 - 10/24/14 05:07 PM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: ATN]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

After 40 pounds I go to a wheeled cart. Most kits #5-15 ( for those in Europe thats about 4 cm)

#272475 - 10/25/14 12:59 AM Re: How much should a survival bag weigh? [Re: chaosmagnet]
ATN Offline

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Way too situational for a single answer.

If you're camping many miles from the nearest road, you may have nothing much more than an Altoids tin kit to supplement what you have in your backpack and your knife. If you're commuting by train, you may only have room to add a couple of pounds of gear to your laptop bag. If you're planning for a variety of different contingencies and weight isn't as important because your bag is in the trunk of your car or in your airplane, you may have 50 pounds or more of gear.

You're right. I was aiming mainly for something along the lines of a 72 hour bag for general survival conditions. It won't do you much good at the North pole, for example, but in many other situations, it may give you a good shot for short term survival.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.