The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#272373 - 10/21/14 07:22 PM on not being blind
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
For those other members that are mostly blind without glasses:

Eye Buy Direct, is offering their Buy One Pair of Glasses and Get The Second Pair FREE after Coupon Code: "BOGO" (Exp 10/27)
One pair must be at least $14.95 for this deal to work. Shipping starts at $4.95. Case and cleaning cloth included.

link eyebuydirect.com

I am not in sales, and do not make any money from this, I am just another customer.

I have bought from Zenni Optical and Eye Buy Direct and had good luck with both.

If you have never shopped online for glasses, they ask for one item that is not usually on regular Prescription- pupillary distance (distance from middle of face to each pupil)

Your doctor can give this to you when you get your eyes checked.

#272374 - 10/21/14 08:59 PM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
+1

I've used them as well and been quite pleased. You can measure your own pupillary distance too.

#272380 - 10/22/14 05:07 AM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I love Zenni! About 2 years ago I bought eight pairs (yes, eight!) from them- 2 in titanium, 2 safety glasses, 2 sunglasses and 2 colored/dressy glasses. At the time I was down to just one pair of really beat up ones and they finally broke. I was fed up! Went to the eye doc and got a new RX, new contacts and 2 pairs of glasses there. Then ordered the eight from Zenni. It might sound absurd but there was a method to my madness. First off Zenni had a BOGO sale on top of their already low prices. So I only spent $225 or so. I wanted enough to leave spares everywhere! So I put a spare pair in the following locations: 1 in my truck glove box, 1 in my work knife case, 1 in my pre-packed backpack (not really a BOB, just a partially packed kit of stuff I always need camping), 1 pair in my shop, and 1 pair in a drawer in the kitchen. The rest are truly spares.

The quality of the lenses from Zenni is great! At least as good as from my local eye place. Their cheapest frames are a bit rough but the lenses are good. Their most expensive frames are as good as I find locally.

I am basically blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. wink Without glasses I can't do really anything.

#272385 - 10/22/14 03:14 PM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the head-up LCranston. Great topic, and it deserves more discussion. While I have had no issues over the years with my contacts, I have often thought that in many survival situations it would be best to use my glasses.

The current ebola situation here in the States seems to be leveling off (thankfully!) but on the positive side, it has been a good wakeup call, as I have gotten a little complacent on the "homeland emergency" front. Just yesterday I was thinking about the fact that even if you have contact solution and good handwashing resources, it is always best to not be sticking things in and out of your eyes when a lethal virus is running around. I know, its exceedingly unlikely most of us will have to deal with ebola, but in any sort of "grid down" situation where public health and sanitation become issues, I believe the theme is applicable. Another reason to have good glasses, and spares.

For those who have bought glasses online, how did you manage to check for the frame fit without being able to try them in person? I've always been leery of that but so many have raved about Zinni et al that there must be some way to assure the fit.

#272387 - 10/22/14 03:23 PM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I never had any problems -- they ask for temple length and frame size, which I pulled off of a pair of glasses I already had that fit well.

#272397 - 10/23/14 05:37 AM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've never had issues with frame fit for the most part (I did get one pair that wasn't quite right but it was so cheap I didn't care). You do want to get your PD though.

#272409 - 10/23/14 03:52 PM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Thanks fellas. I'm definitely going to follow up on this one.

#272437 - 10/24/14 02:25 AM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
two or three pair from Zenni, here. Happy, not going anywhere else. Usual disclaimers: I am only a customer.

#272463 - 10/24/14 05:03 PM Re: on not being blind [Re: LCranston]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've done this as well, great glasses wore them for years...big savings.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.