Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#272371 - 10/21/14 03:23 PM NatGeo: Two years after Sandy
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I thought this National Geographic article looking back at Hurricane Sandy two years later had some interesting points.

For example, I had no idea that the National Hurricane Center basically became unable to forecast and provide information about Sandy as it neared NYC--its systems just could not do it. At that point, the NHC handed off responsibility to local weather centers. The emergency managers in NYC were caught off guard because all of their plans assumed steady info from the NHC regarding the progress of the hurricane and suddenly it was cut off.

From the article:

Quote:
The thing of it is, Mother Nature plays to win—and she wins every time.

#272375 - 10/21/14 09:28 PM Re: NatGeo: Two years after Sandy [Re: Arney]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We are STILL cleaning up from that storm. I have a tree stump from the tree that fell on my house and it's still sitting there, weighs thousands of pounds and needs heavy yellow equipment to remove, EXPENSIVE equipment!

#272376 - 10/22/14 02:24 AM Re: NatGeo: Two years after Sandy [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
We are STILL cleaning up from that storm. I have a tree stump from the tree that fell on my house and it's still sitting there, weighs thousands of pounds and needs heavy yellow equipment to remove, EXPENSIVE equipment!

Two words: Dyno Mite!
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#272388 - 10/22/14 05:50 PM Re: NatGeo: Two years after Sandy [Re: Blast]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I have a tree stump from the tree that fell on my house ... weighs thousands of pounds and needs ... EXPENSIVE equipment!

Originally Posted By: Blast

Two words: Dyno Mite!
-Blast

Given the political leanings of much of the path of Sandy, I suspect that use of such will result in MUCH more expensive legal bills and pointed [possibly violent] conversations with the local constabulary!

#272392 - 10/23/14 01:48 AM Re: NatGeo: Two years after Sandy [Re: Arney]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
For example, I had no idea that the National Hurricane Center basically became unable to forecast and provide information about Sandy as it neared NYC--its systems just could not do it. At that point, the NHC handed off responsibility to local weather centers.

This makes sense as the National Hurricane Centre wasn't tracking a Hurricane anymore but a rather a large post tropical storm depression. The tidal storm surge heights in NYC were well predicted and the evacuation orders from the authorities were given with in good time to get to higher ground.

Storm warnings back in 1987 were a little more difficult to predict.. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQX9UhOhwU

#272443 - 10/24/14 02:55 AM Re: NatGeo: Two years after Sandy [Re: Arney]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Reminds me of a joke.

A city slicker decides to spend a summer working on a farm to "get back to the land".

He finds his way to an out-of-the-way place and moves into a spare room in the farmhouse. The farmer puts him to work, dawn to dusk, sloping the pigs, fixing the fences, hauling hay and so on.

One day, the farmer says to the guy, "Go get six sticks of dynamite out of the shed, we're gonna go get an old tree stump out."

The city slicker is surprised to find a whole case of dynamite in the shed, but he grabs a half dozen sticks and comes out of the shed right away.

The farmer and the city slicker get into the old pickup truck, drive a short way and find the tree stump in the field. The farmer turns the truck around and spends a few minutes parking it some distance from the stump while the city slicker stands around wondering what to do.

The farmer then takes a shovel and digs under the stump for a bit. The city slicker offers to help, but the farmer says, "No I'd best do this part. You'll do the easy part - set the dynamite in the hole and light the fuse when it's time."

After about 10 minutes, the farmer says, "OK, all set. I'm going to walk over there a ways. You tie all the fuses together, stuff the dynamite in the hole just so, light the fuse and come over by me right quick, you hear? Those fuses take about a minute to set the dynamite off, but don't dawdle!"

The city slicker does as he's told, and a moment after he lights the fuse he's at the farmer's side. The farmer says, "Best cover your ears, it's going to be loud."

Just then BOOM! The explosion is terrific and the stump is blasted out of the ground. Up and up and up it goes in the air, and as the farmer and the city slicker watch, down, down DOWN it comes - SMASH - right into the cab of the pickup truck! The pickup truck cab is totally crushed.

The city slicker turns to the farmer and says,"That's incredible, how could that have happened? It just landed right on the cab of your truck!"

The farmer looks at the situation, smiles and shakes his head, and says, "Well I'll be! - how about THAT! usually, the stump lands in the bed of the truck."

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.