The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272351 - 10/20/14 12:56 AM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Take this with a huge grain of salt..since it IS network TV.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Plane...-279336982.html

Was down in FtL today and my niece fwd'd it to me...I was reluctant to even post it but it's easy to see how quickly this could spread if someone wanted to intentally do so.

#272353 - 10/20/14 05:29 AM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Arney]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
There is more good news, the nurse in Spain who caught ebola appears to be recovering:
Spanish nurse who contracted Ebola may be clear of the disease
Quote:
Teresa Romero Ramos, 44, has tested negative for Ebola for the first time since being hospitalised nearly two weeks ago, Spain’s special committee on Ebola said in a statement. The results suggest that she is now clear of all traces of the virus, but authorities noted she would be tested again in the coming hours to confirm the result.

#272355 - 10/20/14 05:16 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Well, now that those initial 48 people are in the clear now, I see headlines and articles basically saying, "Now that the nightmare is over..." but we'll see if it's true that the nightmare is over. It sounds like people like Louise Troh are still being stigmatized, and she had a new apartment she put a deposit down on fall through. How many of those 48 basically lost their jobs because they had to be in isolation for three weeks? Can they get new jobs? Do their friends and coworkers shun them? I would really like to see some follow-up coverage on that issue because it would really serve as a teachable moment.

You would think us "educated" Westerners would be more enlightened than those people who stigmatize people who recover from Ebola in Third World countries but to me, that is still an open question. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about American patients who refuse to be treated by Nina Pham or Amber Vinson a year from now, just because of the stigma and how connected their names have become with this outbreak.

I can't recall much or any stigma surrounding the H1N1 outbreak. Is that because it's the flu? Something familiar that "everyone" gets at one time or another, even though so many people were deathly afraid of catching H1N1?

Edit: I admit that we don't know if the future landlord rescinded the offer of a new apartment because of the fear of Ebola (and would most likely never admit to it even if true), so I readily admit that I am making an assumption here. But some of the scare stories from around the country regarding the way that potential contacts have been treated so far are pretty outrageous so I doubt that the action was not Ebola-related.

Edited by Arney (10/20/14 05:47 PM)

#272356 - 10/20/14 06:40 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Arney]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Arney
For those of us following this issue, I think it's important to hear from all sides, including Thomas Eric Duncan's. Obviously, he's no longer on this earth to defend himself, but in his place, his nephew, Josephus Weeks, has published an op-ed about his uncle.

Statement from Amber Vinson's family: "Family of nurse sick with ebola: 'in no way was Amber careless'"

It seems like there is some media panic to blame the victims and attribute to them enormous selfishness and carelessness. That's hard for me to believe, though we saw that in a tuberculosis patient some years ago. What worries me more than any individual patient is a healthcare system that seems to turn away people who tell them they might have ebola. "Nah, you're fine. Go home and sleep it off." Or "just get on the plane and stop calling with your temperature."

#272359 - 10/20/14 08:26 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Articles pulled from the news and other sources and fact-checked by Equipped.org members by identifying and linking the source of the information in the article. Related to the media coverage of the outbreak and how organizations, institutions and individuals are responding.

Looks like the NIH is responding by stockpiling -- Feds stockpile protective gear in expectation of emergency event/
Quote:
..The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is looking to stockpile a year’s worth of personal protective equipment (PPE) in order to prepare for an expected disruption to the supply chain due to an “emergency” event. ...

#272367 - 10/21/14 01:08 AM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Looks like the NIH is responding by stockpiling...

I was reading the notice on FedBizOps.gov website. Does not seem unusual or alarming to me. Not like reading about the Social Security Administration soliciting bids for 174,000 rounds of .357 Sig hollow point ammo. The NIH notice is just asking for feedback about vendors that may be capable of filling such a contract, but is not an actual solicitation for bids to purchase the equipment.

The NIH supports a huge animal research infrastructure and lots of people who need to be properly equipped to do their jobs. Some of the protective equipment degrades, so it has to be purchased periodically on an ongoing basis. Events like the domestic Ebola scare can dry up supplies and the NIH is worried that they could run out while waiting for manufacturers to catch up. And the protective equipment specified sounds pretty run of the mill. Nothing like hazmat suits and respirators. To me, sounds like a prudent thing to line up a guaranteed flow of supplies for a year (if Ebola rages that long) with an option for additional years if it later seems like it will be necessary.

#272368 - 10/21/14 05:28 AM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: Arney]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Stockpiling PPE...

Originally Posted By: Arney
Does not seem unusual or alarming to me. Not like reading about the Social Security Administration soliciting bids for 174,000 rounds of .357 Sig hollow point ammo.

It's alarming to me because... shouldn't they ALREADY have this stuff??? I saw that huge government warehouse in Indiana Jones. Don't they have a whole lot of PPE in there?

As for the ammo, that's enough for giving around 100 people a week-long firearms course. I'm sure SSA employs more than 100 guards.

#272423 - 10/23/14 08:05 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

#272428 - 10/23/14 10:51 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

This article says that Ebola has reached another West African country, Mali.

Quote:
Health Minister Ousmane Kone made the announcement on Malian television, saying that the patient was a 2-year-old girl who had come from neighboring Guinea, where the Ebola epidemic began last December.

I have read here that the Africa Union has pledged to send 1,000 trained health workers to affected countries. Pledges are one thing. We'll see if the AU can actually recruit 1,000 healthcare workers to go.

#272430 - 10/23/14 11:19 PM Re: Ebola - media & society [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

I was surprised to read in this article that so many hospital beds in Liberia's capital go unused. Apparently, it is because people are afraid of dying and being cremated instead of buried. The article says half the 742 beds are empty. I'm surprised because I keep reading about sick people who are turned away from hospitals and clinics because they are no beds.

So there are some major cultural issues to work through beyond just building and staffing more Ebola treatment units. And if people are kept at home in secret, then isolation, contact tracing, and safe burial are put at risk.

Quote:
Cremation violates Liberians' values and cultural practices and the order has so disturbed people in the west African nation that the sick are often kept at home and, if they die, are secretly buried, increasing the risk of more infections...The order came after people in neighborhoods of the capital resisted burials of hundreds of Ebola victims near their homes.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 347 Guests and 99 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
53 minutes 14 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.