Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272208 - 10/14/14 03:32 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Russ]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Yup Russ. Good technique but requires reseating it n your grip. Also it's impossible to do with wet hands, so if your hands were bloody and you needed it for self defense one would be out of luck. Thats why went with the clip-it.

#272209 - 10/14/14 03:35 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: chaosmagnet]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I really can't picture myself without a blade of some sort.
But wouldn't they be guilty of carry concealed weapons if they have the kitchen knives concealed, Chaos?
wonder what thet're stance s on people who carry knives as part of thier job? Say electritions, cable men, etc?

#272210 - 10/14/14 03:38 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Deathwind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ya, but the issue here is NYC laws, not whether or not a particular technique is practical. Any NYC cop can one-hand a 110 and at that point it's all over. From what I've heard, if they need to dry your knife and lube the pivot to make it flick open, no big deal. If they need to wipe the blood off your knife they'll probably just preserve it as evidence and look for the body.

#272211 - 10/14/14 03:56 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Russ]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Russ
Buck 110's are easy to open with one-hand; pinch the exposed top of the blade between thumb & index finger and whip the handle down. The handle has enough weight/inertia to rotate down to a full lock. A Buck 110 is an easy target for NYC laws.

By this definition of single handed opening by centrifugal force, is there a knife which is legal?

#272213 - 10/14/14 04:24 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Russ]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Very true Russ. Thanks for correcting me.

#272219 - 10/14/14 05:42 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: yee]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: yee
By this definition of single handed opening by centrifugal force, is there a knife which is legal?

By the sounds of it, I think I'd stick with a traditional non-locking SAK or Leatherman Juice. For a locking blade, I'm wondering if something like the Leatherman Rebar or Super Tool 300 would be okay (the blades are on the inside, so you need to open the pliers to get at the blade first).

#272220 - 10/14/14 06:25 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Jesselp]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Butterfly knives are illegal to carry in the UK.
The 'carrying for your trade' reason is an out.
But I'll have a hard time explaining why this systems tester needs one.
qjs

#272225 - 10/14/14 11:58 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Jesselp]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I'm sitting here amazed how NYC has so many people living there, walking on egg shells constantly. Then again, in California, I had to adjust my way of thinking quite a bit after I became a gun owner. Now, navigating through the many gun laws is second nature.

#272233 - 10/15/14 01:49 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Deathwind]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I really can't picture myself without a blade of some sort.
But wouldn't they be guilty of carry concealed weapons if they have the kitchen knives concealed, Chaos?
wonder what thet're stance s on people who carry knives as part of thier job? Say electritions, cable men, etc?

I'm not an attorney and I don't live in NYC any more. I don't think the state law against concealed weapons applies to knives but you should consult an attorney.

NYPD will arrest people carrying knives, especially anything that can conceivably open with one hand. If you're in NYC, do not show anything clipped to a pocket or a waistband. Do not carry anything in a belt sheath. Like I said earlier, I know of at least one case where someone had to spend a lot of money to defend carrying a Leatherman multitool. My expectation is that anything more knife-like than that (such as any locking folder) will be even more expensive to defend in court.

#272288 - 10/16/14 10:13 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Jesselp]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
It's not worth carrying a locking and/or one hand opening knife or multi-tool in NYC. I was going to suggest that a leatherman juice s2 was probably acceptable - but I just opened the (non-locking) blade one-handed!

If you need a multi-tool for your job (I don't) than I'd suggest you carry something like a rebar, with the blades inside, not one hand opening, and not carry it on your person, but in your carry case/bag. Unless they suspect you're a terrorist, the police are not going to check. I would never take any of these tools out in public, not even the SAK to clean your fingernails.

I spoke with an NY police LT. friend of mine several years ago - I had some sort of one hand opening pocket knife I was using - and without joking around, he made it clear that a hand hand opening and locking blade - not welcomed in the Big Apple.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.