Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272147 - 10/10/14 11:46 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Originally Posted By: DesertFox

The NYPD officers I have seen who encounter knife carrying citizens have been pretty common sense. (Don't clip your folder inside your pocket so the clip shows.) IF the knife is legal, they will usually issue a stern warning, make you put it in your pocket and send you on your way. I witnesses a cop let a guy with a one hand opener slide, but I have heard several accounts of people being arrested for the same type of knife.

At the risk of sounding obtuse, if the knife is legal what is the stern warning for?

I'm wondering the same thing. Will I receive a stern warning for being in better physical shape than a cop?

#272150 - 10/11/14 02:30 AM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Jesselp]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I am moving fast, so let me just interject a few words here:

First, New York City has interpreted the state law against gravity knives such that if an officer can "wrist flick" the knife blade open, or alleges that the knife might be able to be opened in such a manner, and the knife blade locks open, that knife is an illegal gravity knife. NYC takes this position even if it requires multiple tries and use of exaggerated arm thrust or motion. Using this interpretation, most any lockblade knife might be deemed an illegal gravity knife.

Note also that New York City administrative code has an under-4-inch length limit and requires knives be carried concealed. Knife Rights recommends that you never carry your knife clipped to your pocket in New York City. Even when covered by a jacket, simply moving the jacket aside to get to a wallet has been enough to get folks arrested. Always ensure your knife is completely concealed at all times, including not "printing" on the outside of your clothing. In addition, be extremely circumspect about using a knife for any purpose in a public setting.

Second regarding the post "Fortunately, the courts appear to be interpreting the law as written. So, you will eventually win in court, but you will pay big bucks and waste a lot of time." That is almost 100% wrong. I can count on one hand cases where the courts have not accepted the NYPD's asinine wrist flick test as acceptable proof that a knife is a gravity knife. If you are a betting man you will not let it get that far, because you will lose and go to jail. The vast majority of cases are either dismissed outright because of extraordinary circumstances or exceptional good (meaning very high dollar) lawyering, or "adjourned in contemplation of dismissal" meaning, if you are good boy for 6 months we'll dismiss the case. Some are plea bargained down to a lesser charge, if your have other issues. Expect to spend between $5,000 and $10,000 to get there. If you have ever had a previous criminal conviction you can expect to be bumped up to a felony and may get as much as 6 years in jail.

Read the article.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (10/11/14 02:31 AM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#272195 - 10/14/14 01:13 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

NYC is an interesting place wth many strange laws.
What about carrying say a Buck 110 on ones belt in the factory sheath?
And low level chefs and culinary students who carry entire sets of high quality, very large knives and use the mass transit systems?
I would hate to be the defendent when they dramaticlly unroll a full collection of Henkels, complete with cleaver, on the evidence table.

#272198 - 10/14/14 01:38 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Deathwind]
yee Offline

It is acceptable to discuss

the POLITICS of knives in equipped.org but not
the POLITICS of guns.

Interesting.

#272201 - 10/14/14 02:42 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: yee]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Laws and what's legal -- not politics.

#272202 - 10/14/14 02:45 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Jesselp]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>It is acceptable to discuss

>the POLITICS of knives in equipped.org but not
>the POLITICS of guns.

For some reason gun laws, like politics make people start arguing emotionally; knife laws don't seem to do so; especially on an outdoor persons site like this. So it may seem inconsistent, but really it's a practical approach.

Lock knives of any length are illegal in England. But I've no need for an instantly accessible one. Anyone know a way I could carry one that is only a lock knife when assembled?
Or any other way round this law?
qjs

#272204 - 10/14/14 02:50 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: quick_joey_small]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

What is englands opnion of butterfly knives? That would lock up, but have ne mechanical lock per se.
My Old 110 has an ancient Clip-it on the blade, making it a one hander, but not sure of the legality. I used to carry it but went over to something better, faster and lighter.

#272205 - 10/14/14 03:23 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Deathwind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Buck 110's are easy to open with one-hand; pinch the exposed top of the blade between thumb & index finger and whip the handle down. The handle has enough weight/inertia to rotate down to a full lock. A Buck 110 is an easy target for NYC laws.

#272206 - 10/14/14 03:24 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Deathwind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
What about carrying say a Buck 110 on ones belt in the factory sheath?

Expect to get arrested.

Quote:
And low level chefs and culinary students who carry entire sets of high quality, very large knives and use the mass transit systems?

If they're visible, I would expect to get arrested.

#272207 - 10/14/14 03:25 PM Re: The Odd Story of Gravity Knives in NY [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
Laws and what's legal -- not politics.

Exactly.

chaosmagnet

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 518 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.