Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#272041 - 10/04/14 10:32 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Meadowlark]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
A new incident at Newark Airport (just outside NYC). Two people removed from flight, by responders in Hazmat suits:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...toms-Ebola.html

I applaud the first responders.

Hopefully, this is a false alarm.

But IMO, there is a point where the false alarms overwhelm the response system.

Isn't this the second incident coming from Brussels?

#272043 - 10/04/14 11:02 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: UTAlumnus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Because it is only technically not airborne. Airborne transmission requires it to be transmitted by a droplet size that can stay in the air for long periods.

Ebola can be spread by droplets between .8 and 1.2 um. A sneeze creates droplets between .5 and 5 um.

I'm guessing that sneeze size droplets can't stay airborne for a long time.

I'll stick to the safer course and treat it like it's semi-airborne.

Not disagreeing with you, but a citation for this would be helpful.

#272045 - 10/05/14 12:26 AM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Texas Presbyterian Hospital backtracks on its explanation about how Mr Duncan could have been sent home after his first ER visit.

At first, the hospital issued a statement saying basically that nurses and doctors see different information from their electronic health records system and that the physician was not able to see the notation about recent travel from Liberia.

However, the hospital then issued a new statement yesterday explaining that actually, the physician could see the travel history notation. No further comment from the hospital.

#272047 - 10/05/14 01:08 AM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Arney
I already posted an article that mentions that the disposal of Ebola-exposed medical waste is very difficult or even impossible for US hospitals under current regulations...I have not seen any news since then that this problem has been remedied or clarified at the regulatory level.

Just a follow up to this question I raised. The US Deptartment of Transportation has issued new regulatory guidelines on the transportation of Ebola-related materials. So Texas was issued a special permit and other states will follow, if necessary.

This is not the first epidemic the country has faced, though, and Ebola has been raging in Africa for months, so you would think this process would have already been ready to go as soon as the first confirmed case (Dr Kent Brantly, not Duncan) was flown back and hospitalized in the US.

On a side note: If you read the special packaging requirements for Ebola waste in the new regs and compare that to the scene of those guys simply power washing the sidewalk of Duncan's infected vomit, you can see a big disconnect there. Poor guys. They're probably low paid employees of a private contractor and may not even have health insurance of their own!

#272050 - 10/05/14 02:15 AM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I'm not too worried about them. The virus count in that vomit probably was bombarded for several days by UV light from the Sun.

Depends how thinly spread out the material is. If there were clumps or mounds of material, who knows how long the center part could remain infectious?

And what happened during the interim time before the sidewalk was finally cleaned? Was someone guarding it until then? Did someone's dog lick the vomit and then go home and lick their owner on the face shortly thereafter? Did a child innocently ride their bike through it and then somehow touched their tire later with an unprotected hand? These are hypotheticals, of course, but not unreasonable scenarios, I think.

Which just means that someone in charge should have thought about the infection risk pretty early on. It's no secret that he vomited outside when moving to the ambulance because it was widely reported.

#272053 - 10/05/14 03:05 AM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: chaosmagnet]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol

#272056 - 10/05/14 01:37 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Meadowlark]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Excellent, thank you!

#272057 - 10/05/14 02:35 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here is some more info on the likelihood of Ebola spreading: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/...tm_term=nprnews Things could be a lot worse

#272072 - 10/06/14 06:29 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Meadowlark]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

According to this article, a nurse in Spain is the first to contract Ebola outside of Africa. This nurse in Madrid was diagnosed with Ebola after tending to a priest with Ebola who got it while in Sierra Leone.

If this nursing survey that has been posted a couple times already reflects reality--that many nurses feel that they and their institutions are ill prepared for Ebola--this Spanish incident could lead to a lot of soul searching, especially now that more and more community based hospitals in the US are dealing with cases or suspected cases in recent days rather than "elite" teams from the CDC and special high-risk biocontainment wards.

#272076 - 10/06/14 11:44 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Arney]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
According to this article, a nurse in Spain is the first to contract Ebola outside of Africa.

This is very disturbing news. This nurses PPE kit was obviously inadequate. This virus must be incredibly contagious, probably airborne despite the denial by the authorities that own the intellectual property rights to the virus.

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.