Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#272023 - 10/04/14 06:07 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Russ
I think the reason for the terminology shift was to use 5% bleach concentrate to reference a starting point for their 1:10 and 1:100 (dilution) mixtures.

Correct, start with household bleach as the "1:" in these dilution ratios unless the directions specify otherwise.

Make sure to mix a fresh batch daily because the disinfecting potency begins to dissipate as soon as you dilute bleach into water.

The same thing applies to the bottle of bleach itself, just slower. If you're serious about having a properly potent disinfecting solution and your bleach is more than, say half a year old, I would recommend that you buy a fresh bottle because bleach is cheap. If you can't remember when you bought a bottle because it's been so long, then definitely get a fresh bottle. Just use up the old bleach for less critical uses like laundry or whatever else you normally use bleach for.

#272024 - 10/04/14 06:11 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The article at: Ebola Patient 'Knew' He Had Virus, Flew to US to Survive

Only Mr Duncan knows, but he may be in denial. Cognitive Dissonance (when what you think you know clashes with reality) also plays a role; in the face of an Ebola epidemic where he lived, he refused to admit to himself that he could have Ebola and wouldn't admit having been exposed to anyone, possibly including himself. Possible, not a fact...

The CDC and WHO need to take that human flaw into account with their screening procedures.

#272025 - 10/04/14 06:23 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Another good (?) article for medical professionals. Nurses: We Are Unprepared to Handle Ebola Patients
Quote:
...As of Aug. 25, more than 240 healthcare workers have developed the disease in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone, and more than 120 have died, according to the World Health Organization.

Many of these infections occurred when healthcare workers were removing the personal protective gear - masks, gowns, gloves or full hazmat suits used to care for the patients, said biosafety experts. ...

#272026 - 10/04/14 06:30 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Speaking of dis-incentives to seeking medical care, last week, I was reading this article about the increasing frequency of ER billing surprises as more and more ER's utilize out-of-network or outside consultants even though the hospital/ER is in your coverage network.

Even with good insurance, I could see how an ER visit for a possible Ebola exposure could easily bankrupt a lot of families. Once the word "Ebola" is mentioned and everyone starts putting on their protective gear and infectious disease consultants are called in and they put you in a separate exam room, you could already be in the poorhouse at that point, even if they determine that you're not at risk and send you home without admitting you.

#272027 - 10/04/14 06:37 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Arney]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Arney
On a related note, the news that the Dallas DA may prosecute Mr Duncan could be the wrong thing to do from a public health perspective. I think that will simply serve to stigmatize the sick (perhaps even Americans who get infected) and could drive infected people underground and that's the last thing you want. I don't think presecution is a deterrant at all to keeping infected people out of the US but it may change people's behavior in undesirable ways once they are here.

The priority should be to find everyone who is infected or potentially infected, ideally, before they become infectious. Facing punishment just delays that discovery process, making it more likely an infected person becomes infectious out in public.
I agree that it would be a very dumb move if the authorities in TX try to prosecute the gentleman. Driving people underground who think they have been exposed is exactly the last thing you want to do.

I find it difficult to believe that Mr. Duncan "knew" he had ebola. He was asymptomatic when he left Liberia. Even the blood tests apparently aren't definitive until about 3 days after you start showing symptoms. The NY Times "Well" has some good info:
Quote:
Q
Can a blood test show if a person has the Ebola virus before they are symptomatic?
A
With blood tests that we have now, no. In fact, in order to be fairly certain, you have to have the first symptom, which is a fever, for about three days before there’s enough virus coursing around in your blood for the blood test to be accurate.

What we should try to do is encourage people who have been potentially exposed (by recent travel in infected areas), AND have come down with a fever to report to an ER immediately and get checked out. This will be better for them, in that they can get appropriate care, and will also be better for the rest of us by minimizing the potential exposure of others.

EDIT: Note that the "Well" link has some other info about how long the virus can survive outside the body. (Short answer is it depends on how fast it dries out.)

Edited by AKSAR (10/04/14 06:48 PM)
Edit Reason: More info

#272028 - 10/04/14 06:44 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bws48
Very preliminary "breaking news" (which could be wrong) for the Washington DC area.
Apparently this case has tested negative for Ebola. And another possible case in the DC area turned out to be malaria. See the WaPo article Howard Hospital patient does not have Ebola, hospital official says

#272032 - 10/04/14 07:04 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Breaks in logic are common with many of the conspiracy theories. People see/hear of an activity and then they see a result (while not seeing a direct relationship) and they assume that the first activity caused the result when they may be unrelated and totally independent of each other.

An analogy would be having a forest burning down, where the source of the fire breakout originated, where someone was testing a fire extinguisher. Questions would need answered.

There have been many in Liberia who believe this was the result of human experimention with various strains of Ebola where the CDC holds the patents. The only way to test antidotes/vaccines, is where you need an infected test population group to test with. Vaccine research trials are used as cover for exotic weapons of mass biological destruction weapons development.

Ebola, AIDS Manufactured by Western Pharmaceuticals, US DoD?
by Dr. Cyril Broderick, Professor of Plant Pathology

http://www.liberianobserver.com/security/ebola-aids-manufactured-western-pharmaceuticals-us-dod

In the end it doesn't matter as Pandora's box is now open and everyday it is now getting more and more difficult to close.

#272033 - 10/04/14 07:11 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#272039 - 10/04/14 09:46 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

The NY Times has updated their What Are the Chances Ebola Will Spread in the United States? page. Lots of good info here.

I find it especially interesting that Nigeria appears to have contained ebola, at least at the moment.
Quote:
Although officials are pleased that success was achieved in a country of 177 million that is a major transport and business hub — and whose largest city, Lagos, has 21 million people — the lessons here are not easily applicable to the countries at the epicenter: Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Public health officials in those countries remain overwhelmed by the scale of the outbreak and are desperate for additional international assistance.
-----------------snip------------
After the first patient — a dying Liberian-American — flew into Lagos on July 20, Ebola spread to 20 other people there and in a smaller city, Port Harcourt.

They have all now died or recovered, and the cure rate — 60 percent — was unusually high for an African outbreak.

Meanwhile, local health workers paid 18,500 face-to-face visits to repeatedly take the temperatures of nearly 900 people who had contact with them. The last confirmed case was detected on Aug. 31, and virtually all contacts have passed the 21-day incubation period without falling ill.
If Nigeria can prevent the epidemic from spreading to that country, I am somewhat optimistic that the US and Canada can also manage to contain those ebola cases who enter the country.

#272040 - 10/04/14 10:17 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Because it is only technically not airborne. Airborne transmission requires it to be transmitted by a droplet size that can stay in the air for long periods.

Ebola can be spread by droplets between .8 and 1.2 um. A sneeze creates droplets between .5 and 5 um.

I'm guessing that sneeze size droplets can't stay airborne for a long time.

I'll stick to the safer course and treat it like it's semi-airborne.

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.