Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#271994 - 10/03/14 03:34 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: JerryFountain]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
It is not a good use of statistics to assume that an infection rate (or a death rate for that matter) in West Africa would be of any use for determining rates in first world countries. The situation for both quarantine and medical care is SIGNIFICANTLY different.

Yes this is very true, I have been very conservative with the probabilities when comparing infection rates from West Africa to North American and Europe, it could be potentially be higher due to the following;

i) Potentially much higher population densities in Major Western Cities.

ii) Greater mobility and a higher probability of virus transfer between individuals.

iii) Greater secondary effects of panic and less stored food in individual homes due to CANBAN business practice.

#271996 - 10/03/14 04:55 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Meadowlark]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Very preliminary "breaking news" (which could be wrong) for the Washington DC area.

A man with "Ebola like" symptoms has been admitted to a local Washington DC hospital after returning from a trip to Nigeria.

http://www.wtop.com/109/3715125/Patient-with-Ebola-like-symptoms-in-DC

#271998 - 10/03/14 08:20 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Why we are not ready in two photo's. Pure opinion, but you decide.

#271999 - 10/03/14 09:48 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Why we are not ready in two photo's. Pure opinion, but you decide.

I think a lot of folks are not getting the seriousness or are suffering a lack of information passed down to the contractors of the CDC Level bio-security measures (level 4 requirements) required here if they want to be serious against halting the spread of this potentially DoD weaponised hemorrhagic fever.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/03/14 09:52 PM)

#272000 - 10/03/14 10:21 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"this potentially DoD weaponised hemorrhagic fever."

Could you please be more specific? I am not sure I comprehend your meaning....

#272003 - 10/03/14 10:55 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The Clinical Study NCT02041715 was abandoned in West Africa shortly before the outbreak of the Ebola fever in the area.

http://beforeitsnews.com/health/2014/09/...eo-2550872.html

http://birdflu666.wordpress.com/2014/07/...se-flag-attack/

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/03/14 10:59 PM)

#272004 - 10/03/14 10:59 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Meadowlark]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Since the topic here is about Ebola Preparedness, what level protection is adequate in a hot zone? I have nitrile gloves, a decent full-face respirator with both dust and organic vapor filters, but if Ebola isn't airborne, then gloves and other skin protection seems to be the way to go. But if it isn't airborne, why are all the responders in West Africa wearing respirators?

Is a less than $10 Tyvek hazmat suit adequate? Just wondering how you'd suit up given the situation in Dallas.

#272005 - 10/03/14 11:43 PM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
The Clinical Study NCT02041715 was abandoned in West Africa shortly before the outbreak of the Ebola fever in the area.

This is the usual [colloquialism indicating falsehood redacted] conspiracy theory.

The clinical study was a safety trial of an experimental drug to treat ebola. The drug was developed by the small Canadian company Tekmira, and has since been fast tracked for use to treat ebola. In other words, the FDA has decided that the urgency of the current outbreak justified cutting short the usual lengthy (lengthy as in decades) procedure before approving a drug for general use.

The DOD did (in part) fund this research, as they fund much medical research. (Duh...ya think maybe a vaccine that protects from ebola might be useful for military personnel deployed to Africa?)

See Globe and Mail article:
Quote:
After Dr. MacLachlan’s call to Dr. Geisbert, now a professor at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, TKM-Ebola was tested on rhesus macaques at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases biosafety level 4 containment lab in Maryland.

All four macaques challenged with lethal doses of the Ebola virus, then treated for seven days with TKM-Ebola, survived. (In another arm of the study, one of three macaques given four doses, instead of seven, died.)

The results, published in The Lancet in 2010, were encouraging enough to persuade the U.S. Department of Defence’s biomedical research arm to sign a $140-million contract with Tekmira. A phase I clinical trial, designed to test the safety of the treatment in 28 healthy volunteers, began in January, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted the drug fast-track approval in March.

But Tekmira announced in July that the trial had hit a road block: The FDA asked the company to halt the trial until it could provide more data to ensure the safety of the healthy volunteers, some of whom were being dosed with as much TKM-Ebola as would be given to a lethally infected patient. The hold was partly lifted in August, allowing Tekmira to offer the drug on an emergency basis to Ebola patients, but the trial itself is still on hiatus.

Edited by chaosmagnet (10/04/14 02:29 PM)
Edit Reason: language

#272007 - 10/04/14 12:10 AM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: AKSAR]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The clinical study was a safety trial of an experimental drug to treat ebola

Yes it was! But did it all go terribly wrong in the Jungles of West Africa?

#272008 - 10/04/14 12:37 AM Re: EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Breaks in logic are common with many of the conspiracy theories. People see/hear of an activity and then they see a result (while not seeing a direct relationship) and they assume that the first activity caused the result when they may be unrelated and totally independent of each other. Unfortunately we don't know what we don't know and leaping to conclusions is often the result - BTDT. Then the internet takes the conclusion world wide at the speed of 1's and 0's and we can see the result of that too -- but it may be unrelated wink

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.