The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#271957 - 10/01/14 08:06 PM On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
OK everyone, I'm going to ask that we all demonstrate just what makes THIS forum the best place on the internet to discuss emergency preparedness:

- Evidence-based discussions are the rule, not the exception
- Factual information is always offered, with credible sources cited
- No Politics! Really, we mean it.
- Opinions and subjective matter is welcome, as long as it's not presented as fact.

The Ebola situation is starting to spin out a huge amount of media that is surrounding actual information. Some of the information is good, some is irrelevant and some is just plain wrong.

Let us all rely on one another to find, assess, filter, and prioritize factual information in a logical and emotionless way.

For example, if you hear or see someone say, "The CDC says..." - you need to find and cite the link with the information from CDC.gov - not a news report that says "the CDC says" - the CDC itself. Same goes for ANY "official sources" - find and cite the originator, not the media's version of the information.

This is the year 2014. We rarely need others to get information from sources we can't access. We can typically go to the sources and verify things ourselves.

Opinions - especially informed opinions - matter greatly here.

But if you are posting your opinion, say so. Say, "I think..." or "I feel that..." and have at it. It's right to express your opinion, and it's right to listen to the opinions of others. If you disagree, say so - without a personal attack. This is one of the last places on the Internet where civilized discourse reigns supreme. I am proud to post here under my real name because of that fact. We all have abandoned other places online where the noise and anger levels rose too high.

But most of all, please do continue to equip your mind with clear thinking on this frightening topic. Pandemics are scary things to think about, because you can feel so helpless to do anything practical about an invisible threat.

Never forget that the media LOVES stuff like this - it keeps you glued to the TV and tuned in to the radio. They probably already have theme music for "EBOLA IN AMERICA - NEXT ON CABLE NEWS!" - it's all about ratings, not information.

But most of all, by all means, keep the Ebola discussion going, Equipped.org style.

#271959 - 10/01/14 09:10 PM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Thank you Martin for stating why this is the go-to site for level headed, clear, concise information. The members here are helpful, most wise beyond their years, and always think positively when discussing relevent issues, and how it may impact them directly. We don't play into the medias hands here, don't get into a frenzy how "the sky is falling"....just good folks helping themselves and other to live a better life. A more well-informed EQUIPPED life. By lessening the impact and reliance on others, we empower ourselves, and encourage others to do the same. Thank you so much to all the members, mods, and especially Doug for making this a fantastic place to hang my hat and learn.

#271972 - 10/02/14 04:38 PM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"I think that..." this is correct.

Sources and facts.

#272080 - 10/07/14 03:22 AM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Marty said it very well. Let me pile on. Thanks to everyone for their past and future honest, civil discourse. Learning to temper statements with appropriate qualifiers is an exercise in wisdom and courtesy. I proudly tell people I meet to come to this site and learn because of how the discussions are conducted. Again, thanks to everyone for being "good roommates".

#272093 - 10/07/14 08:02 PM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I appreciate the original post. It brings me back to my college days when raw research was required and highly valued.

#272094 - 10/08/14 01:17 AM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Does anyone know whatever happened with this --

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-20341423

Did they ever establish whether ebola could be transmitted by airborne particles in some way? Or is this still under research?

#272095 - 10/08/14 03:54 AM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: Bingley]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
This is an edited version of one of my posts in the other thread. I clarfied it a little and added a link to the sources post.

It is only technically not airborne. Airborne transmission requires it to be transmitted by a droplet size that can stay in the air for long periods.

Ebola has been spread by droplets in air between .8 and 1.2 um in the lab. A sneeze creates droplets between .5 and 5 um.

I'm guessing that sneeze size droplets can't stay airborne for a long time.

I'll stick to the safer course and treat it like it's semi-airborne.

Links for sources

#272151 - 10/11/14 05:40 AM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
WaPo has an interesting article: Five Myths About Ebola.

#272166 - 10/12/14 06:05 AM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Great article! Bookmarked it. cool

#272221 - 10/14/14 08:39 PM Re: On Ebola & Being a Responsible Netizen [Re: MartinFocazio]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I sure appreciate your level headed approach to this mess.

Blake

outdoorquest.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.