Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271837 - 09/25/14 04:03 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I also like the Comfort Mocs from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58464?page=womens-comfort-mocs

They are comfortable, easy on, easy off, and so cheap that you won't feel bad about scratching them.

#271839 - 09/25/14 11:46 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I generally agree with Martin's post. I travel very frequently, sometimes overseas, and all of his ideas are good.

I travel in good walking shoes/boots. Even though I must take them off, it is not that much of a hassle. I do not want to find myself walking any distance in dress shoes. I always arrive early and try to time my passage through security for when there are fewer people going through. Because I am usually carrying a significant quantity of electronics, my bag usually requires hand searching anyway.

I purchase water as soon as I get through security, usually two bottles. Sometimes, depending on what I am doing and what my carry on luggage looks like, I will carry Nalgene bottles and fill them once through security.

#271840 - 09/25/14 02:28 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One other tip - get to be seventy-five. Security is much easier, especially wearing decent shoes.

#271842 - 09/25/14 02:42 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: gonewiththewind]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Montanero

I purchase water as soon as I get through security, usually two bottles.
Sometimes, depending on what I am doing and what my carry on luggage looks like, I will carry Nalgene bottles and fill them once through security.

I refuse to buy water. It's just...just...infuriating. I put an empty bottle through.

Also, really, do the TSA Pre Check program. Keep your shoes on.

#271844 - 09/25/14 03:31 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: Blast]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Blast
I just have to say I love ExOfficio GiveNGo underwear.
It's comfortable, quick drying, antibacterial, and generally awesome. However, the one downside is it is synthetic so in a fire you could end up with serious problems. For this reason I usually wear cotton on the plane and ExOfficio everywhere else.
-Blast

Why? In the event of catastrophic failure, inhalation injury is a far greater risk than actual burn injury. If the fire is sufficiently severe that groin burns are a possibility, the underwear won't save you.

By the rule of nines, the anterior and posterior torso constitutes about 36% of surface area. The legs are another 36%. The groin itself is only 1%; the total area covered by underwear is likely less than 4% Non-synthetic pants & T-shirt is of greater yield than underwear.

[addendum] Oops, I looked at a picture of the ExOfficio underwear. Coverage is from the umbilicus to just above the knee which IS a significant surface area, about 15-20%.

Edited by yee (09/25/14 03:36 PM)

#271846 - 09/25/14 03:38 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I love that underwear also. Very comfortable and easy to care for.

#271847 - 09/25/14 03:44 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: yee]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I also wear ExOfficio GiveNGo u/w. They're boxer-briefs and cover halfway down my thighs; they are very comfortable. As for fire, ehh, I often wear RailRider's nylon trousers, usually VersaTac light, so a layer of nylon beneath that is the least of my problems.

#271852 - 09/25/14 04:59 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I am a ham. Not only is it fun but it has been useful to be able to monitor airband in an airport and on the 'plane.

#271861 - 09/25/14 07:44 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: Ian]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Ian
I am a ham. Not only is it fun but it has been useful to be able to monitor airband in an airport and on the 'plane.

The use of any radio receiver onboard the planes I've been on has been expressly forbidden, per FAA 1-21.1B and related to Section 91.21, 121.306, 125.204, and 135.144

See: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91.21-1B.pdf

Here's what I could find in terms of airline policies, I only had a few moments to look it up:

Delta Airlines
Policy is only listed devices are permitted.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/s...ic-devices.html

You may use the following devices from gate to gate on Delta and Delta Connection flights:
• AM/FM or satellite radios
• digital and video cameras
• calculators
• Delta-installed equipment such as in-flight entertainment systems
• DVD players*
• e-readers
• electric shavers
• electronic/digital watches
• global positioning system (GPS) receivers
• handheld computer games
• headphones
• laptop computers*
• medical devices**
• noise reduction headphones
• portable media players*
• pagers
• smartphones and any device with cellular network service must be turned off or in airplane mode
• tablets and wireless keyboards or mouse

Jet Blue
http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(2218)#s4

The following items may not be used in the aircraft at any time:
Any device the crew believes to be causing interference
Gas hair curlers
Radio transmitters (ham, CB, etc.)
Radios: AM, FM, VHF (battery or cord operated)
Remote controlled toys
TV sets

United Airlines
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/devices.aspx
Devices that are permitted for use:

electronic games
personal computers
entertainment players
recorders (audio and/or video, such as tape/CD/MiniDisc/MP3 players and camcorders)
calculators
shavers
cameras
aircraft power ports for laptops.

Devices that are NOT permitted for use:

battery-operated personal air-purifying devices
TVs
radio receivers and/or transmitters (including AM/FM/SW, CB and scanners)
remote-control toys

#271863 - 09/25/14 10:50 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Well said, all. I now carry either a free-standing set of SAK scissors from a swisscard, or a set on emt shears, which seem to escape criticism and still cut things, as well as a mini-bic lighter in carry-on. Have added a poncho liner and collapsible rei walking stick to accommodate some age related napping and mobility needs. Synthetic underwear fan, too, like Blast, tho I am stunned to hear that he wears underwear at all-RPI grads of my acquaintance generally did not-or if they did, it was something in leather or latex.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.