#271871 - 09/26/14 02:06 PM Re: Knives [Re: bsmith]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: bsmith

beg to differ.

1. remove from pocket.
2. use tool.
3. replace in pocket.

a 57.14% reduction in expended energy.

Works well for smaller tools like the squirt that can fit in the pocket. For full size tools like the Wave/Supertool, it needs to go into a sheath.

The calorie expenditure of carrying a smaller tool in pocket is also significant but weighed against the more useful full sized tool.

#271900 - 09/26/14 09:55 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The following comment has nothing to do with the ownership of this forum!!

When at home or at work I carry my EDC knife in my pocket.

When living outdoors I carry my two favorite knifes - one in pocket and the other in a smallish "survival" gear daypack that goes with me everywhere. I've just never liked the feel of a fixed blade on my belt.

EDC Pocket: Mini Ritter RSK Mk1 (original)
Pocket: fullsize Ritter RSK Mk1 (original)
Daypack: Ritter RSK Mk3

My second favorite fixed blade is the RSK Mk2, but it is a tad too big for my personal preference on a general camp knife. I have a Becker BK10 Crewman from years back, but it was way too heavy. The Mk2 is like a right-sized BK10 to me. Still, the Mk3 is just the right combination of blade size and shape for all round camp use.

If I was forced to do a survival show (sigh) then I'd be bringing my Mk2 for sure.

The daypack also usually has either a Leatherman Micra (if keeping weight down) or a Leatherman Wave (if weight is less an issue). I almost NEVER need the tools on the Wave - the scissors and pliers are the most used tools. The pliers are most used for cooking - handling hot pots, so the LM Micra plus thickish leather gloves are becoming more the norm lately. I found my hands would get surprisingly beat up when gathering/cutting wood - thus the gloves. I'd rather have non-leather so it would dry faster but haven't found anything I like.

I should mention that I'm not a knife only person. I grew up as a Boy Scout so I learned outdoor living involves a knife, a saw, and an axe (sized to meet portability and weight needs - the axe doesn't go backpacking).

I stow stainless Mora knives (4+" blade) in my truck and several places in my house. They made great kitchen knives back when we had a camper trailer.

#271910 - 09/27/14 08:17 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I am a huge knife nut and hoarder.In your area(Pacific NW)I would go with a stainless blade.This is purely for convenience.A plastic sheath is the other thing.I like the MORA Bushcraft series.The Bushcraft Black is a corbon steel blade with a micro coating for corrosion resistance.It has an 1/8 inch thick blade that can take a lot of abuse.This is also MORA's survival knife that they also make in stainless.The Bushcraft Force is stainless and a thinner blade.It is a really good slicer that can take some abuse.I have other bigger and more expensive knives (like a Randall camp and trailknife)but always bring a MORA along.I have even sliced down small trees ( 2"to 3.5") with one. Mora's are a great balance in economy, function, durability and edge retention.You don't get the heaviness on the belt either.I was using Mora's so i wouldn't mess up my nicer knives.Why should I carry nicwer knives if I'm afraid of messing them up.For the cost and weight buy and carry two. One on you one in the pack.....

BOATMAN
John

#271912 - 09/27/14 09:17 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Like others, I have a number of knives, folders and fixed blades. I bought the larger (10") blades with the PNW cascade range in mind. While their main attribute is size, they stay in the truck because of that size. They are much more capable in some tasks, but if you won't keep them hanging from your belt while hiking, they are at best a camp knife and not a survival knife."

agree 100% with this opinion.

Like others ... I own WAY too much of this sharp steel.
I own enough knife hardware that I could have loaned it all to the legendary Jeremiah Johnson and he would have taken over the entire Rocky Mountains :-)

I am more impressed with folks like Bear Grylls who can take a simple small knife ... and use it for a wide variety of survival skills and practical tasks.

Pete

Edited by Pete (09/27/14 09:17 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.