Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271864 - 09/26/14 12:00 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: nursemike]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I really like Coghlans folding scissors. I've never tried taking them through airport security, but they're part of my EDC and at $3.75 if TSA takes them you won't be out too much. Put a second set in your checked bag. Scissors are so non-threatening cool

#271865 - 09/26/14 12:31 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: Russ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Russ
I really like Coghlans folding scissors. I've never tried taking them through airport security, but they're part of my EDC and at $3.75 if TSA takes them you won't be out too much. Put a second set in your checked bag. Scissors are so non-threatening cool

TSA WEbsite :Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibited.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

I am also planning to transition to mass-market disposable undergarments in the future. Obviates the need for tp, eliminates laundry expense, serves as dandy field-expedient wound dressing, reduces in-flight cabin movement, and the soft rustling sound that accompany ambulation acts as a bear bell to prevent unwanted confrontations.

#271866 - 09/26/14 12:34 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Small scissors are not a problem for the TSA.
Always check this page, it changes over time:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibited"

Other fun things you can carry-on that you may not realize:

Skates (including ice skates and rollerblades)
Wrenches/Pliers/Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length)
Common Lighters - sort of OK.
One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items,
Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one uni
Snow globes that appear to contain less than 3.4 ounces (approximately tennis ball size) will be permitted if the entire snow globe, including the base, is able to fit in the same one clear, plastic, quart-sized, re-sealable bag, as the passenger’s other liquids, such as shampoo, toothpaste and cosmetics.

#271869 - 09/26/14 08:00 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Thank you for that listing Martin but I usually travel British Airways and AM radios are not on their lists of prohibited items.

I have never had any problems but maybe I have been in error and the receiver has been assumed to be a MP3 player.

Next flight I will ask beforehand.

#271870 - 09/26/14 11:15 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/handheld-devices-used-onboard_Dec14.pdf

Their policy is if it's not allowed, it's forbidden.

Allowed items:

Mobile Phones/Smart phones
Laptop/Notebook computers
Tablet computers
e-Readers
Noise-cancelling headphones
Portable DVD/CD Player
Digital Audio/MP3 Player
Bluetooth Devices
Electric Shaver
Personal Cameras
Electronic Games
Assistive Medical Devices

#271872 - 09/26/14 02:10 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
note to self: add life vest and small snow globe to travel kit.

#271877 - 09/26/14 04:10 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Originally Posted By: Montanero

I purchase water as soon as I get through security, usually two bottles.
Sometimes, depending on what I am doing and what my carry on luggage looks like, I will carry Nalgene bottles and fill them once through security.

I refuse to buy water. It's just...just...infuriating. I put an empty bottle through.

Agreed...I carry an empty bottle and fill it once through security. Buying bottled water just feels wasteful and like being ripped off!

#271916 - 09/28/14 01:39 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Good points, Martin!

The nicer you act, the further you get. This applies to SO much more than TSA: doughnuts at the automobile shop are not germaine to this thread, but have always gotten me through ASAP, with a smile, and perks that are worth at least as much as a box of doughnuts--and into a bay first, the NEXT time I visited. A box of chocolates at Christmas, at the lunch deli, have always gotten me a year's worth of lunches, far and above what I would have expected for the price...

I don't fly often, but did last Spring with a Pre-check ID. I acted dumb ('cause I was), and got through so fast my head spun like a top. I made sure to thank the TSA guys: (they were following their protocols), but were glad to not take grief, because of it.

Going in presenting myself as ignorant of the procedures, ready and willing to cooperate with them, and anxious to fulfill the requirements, has always sped me through the process at the airport.

Learn the clerk's name--if you don't catch it right off, ask the clerk to repeat it--and thank them, by name--at the conclusion of the transaction.

I didn't think of it aforehand, but I guess the whole premise of this post is this: be polite: do you really want to deal with someone who has been ticked off by their previous contact, or do you want to deal with someone who has been validated by their previous contact? We all want to feel as if we are doing something constructive, even if we feel insignificant, because we are constrained by company policy. Complaining to the customer service reps will not solve the problem: complaining two levels up will make the difference in policy change, and mentioning the CSP's name will effect a change at the most basic level...

#271933 - 09/30/14 01:49 AM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MartinFocazio]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Well, I know it wasn't me because I don't travel in pink underwear.
But, you didn't say you don't WEAR pink underwear. Clarify?

#271936 - 09/30/14 04:01 PM Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler [Re: MoBOB]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Doing your own laundry INVARIABLY results in pink underwear now and then....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.