Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#271733 - 09/21/14 07:03 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: ireckon]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

LOL- Nice one ireckon

Edited by Montanero (09/21/14 07:03 PM)

#271740 - 09/22/14 12:42 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
This is why we police the ETS forums so closely. Thankfully, all y'all are damn fine at policing yourselves so us sheriffs can mostly just sit around playing mumbly peg. :-)
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#271742 - 09/22/14 02:20 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens Fluffy kittens

Great....now I guess I'm on PETA's watch list....*sigh*

#271743 - 09/22/14 11:10 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

#271778 - 09/24/14 01:16 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I agree with AKSAR it's lazy reporting, and I think it's simply to generate ad revenue.

The unfortunate effect of this is that people that are truly interested in having a reasonable preparedness level will shy away of sharing this with neighbors and friends to get them prepared. This is no way to create a culture of preparedness.

This is less of a concern of an area that has a high occurrence of a natural hazard threat (earthquakes, hurricanes, blizzards, etc.) since people can say they're preparing for it.

Lately my advice to people to just get them thinking is plan how many days you can survive without electricity. Losing electricity is a secondary "disaster" to most hazards.

#271779 - 09/24/14 01:24 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The negative effect is that people will equate prepping with anti-government ideology and then refuse to prep, thereby creating more problems when an emergency occurs. That will increase the load on us that do prepare for real world emergencies, as we are generally social people and care more about our communities than the non-preppers do.

The article referred to two books that define survivalist as anti-government. This is the hazard and why we need to be cognizant of how we approach certain subjects.

#271783 - 09/24/14 04:37 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Phaedrus]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
That's why I love and value ETS so much. It's survival without the -ism.

+1 on this.

Unfortunately though in some aspects, it seems this forum is slowly loosing many long time members. Many of the old stalwarts such as Bacpacjac, Dougwalkabout, Izzy, Dagney and many others are no longer contributing here on a regular basis. Even for myself, I seldom post here anymore and instead focus my attention on other forums such as Bushcraft USA which appeals more to my outdoor pursuits.

John Lubbock

#271784 - 09/24/14 05:01 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Mixed messages is also a big problem. Remember not too long ago when all good citizens were told by FEMA to have X amount of food and water for emergencies? Then branded as dangerous by DHS for doing what they were advised to do?

#271792 - 09/24/14 01:58 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Montanero
The negative effect is that people will equate prepping with anti-government ideology and then refuse to prep, thereby creating more problems when an emergency occurs.

I didn't realize it when I joined, but CERT in my community has been a force for promulgating prepping without any anti-government message. We're tightly integrated with our sponsoring government entity and people see that.

#271802 - 09/24/14 05:11 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am fairly familiar with the FEMA material et al., but I must confess my ignorance with respect to the DHS statement to which you refer. Could you provide some more detail?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.