Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270490 - 06/17/14 06:11 PM Dust masks for kids
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
I have been looking for good masks that fit children that would be good for use during a building collapse, volcanic eruption or other event where there would be a lot of particulate matter in the air. Preferably something like the N95 masks that fold flat. What do you guys recommend?

#270495 - 06/17/14 09:36 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: rbruce]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Concrete dust probably does not require an N95 or better respirator (not sure about volcanic ash).

That said, I have never seen a "child-sized" N95 respirator. One reason is because these are made primarily for work-related wear. Economically, it probably doesn't make sense for any company to make child-sized versions, nor would any company likely pay the money to certify one just for children. And secondly, the respiratory effort to breathe through an N95 or better respirator may be an issue for some children compared to an adult, especially for long periods of time.

If you really want that level of protection, you're probably limited to full-hood types of protection, like certain products made for children geared towards NBC (nuclear-biological-chemical) terrorist attacks. Many/most seem to be positive-pressure units where a battery-powered fan is what forces the outside air through the filter.

#270496 - 06/17/14 10:03 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: rbruce]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If a hood type is too big to practically carry all the time but want something that will provide some protection, how about a face mask?

http://www.amazon.com/Kimberly-Clark-Childs-Stretchable-Earloops-Latex/dp/B001RRRVMU

No affiliation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270498 - 06/17/14 10:27 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jeanette's option is a good one (and so cute!), and reminded me that I forgot about the "dust masks" part.

If you don't want to mail order something, if you can find an Asian "dollar store" near you, like a Daiso Store, they may have child sized "dust masks."

As many of you know, it is quite common for children and adults in some Asian countries, like Japan, to wear masks when they are ill (to keep from spreading their germs to healthy people). Also worn during spring allergy season. And in some countries, they are worn due to increasing levels of air pollution, like in Beijing and Shanghai.

#270499 - 06/17/14 10:41 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: rbruce]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: rbruce
I have been looking for good masks that fit children that would be good for use during a building collapse, volcanic eruption or other event where there would be a lot of particulate matter in the air. Preferably something like the N95 masks that fold flat. What do you guys recommend?

There are a few child size N95 masks on Ebay...but be prepared to pay a premium. As Arney mentioned, face masks are very popular with Asians and a Google or Ebay search will also yield some cheaper options for child sized masks.

John Lubbock

#270526 - 06/18/14 02:20 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: Teslinhiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
There are a few child size N95 masks on Ebay...

Interesting! Granted, it's been many years since I last checked, but these child-sized N95 products did not exist when I last checked. My mistake.

Just did a quick check on Ebay and found these colorfully trendy products--from the company name, sounds like they were made specifically for air pollution in Hawaii from volcanic "vog". And they appear to fold flat, so maybe something like these would work.

#270838 - 07/13/14 08:29 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: rbruce]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Not to suggest you stop looking, but don't forget the alterantives: multipurpose items that may help in this regard. A scarf/ bandana is always a good item to add to children kits.

#270840 - 07/14/14 07:55 AM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: rbruce]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Please note that some masks, like the Kimberly Clark's above and those used in surgery or in Asian countries, are to contain droplets breathed OUT to reduce environmental contamination. They give zero protection on breathing in.

Others, the work type, are designed to prevent INHALATION of particles, like those used in dust-masks.

Even the dust-mask type do not eliminate all inhaled particles, thus the US designations of N95 and N99 (95% and 99%) and even then only under specified conditions.

Exercising, heavy breathing, user error and so on will reduce the protection to 50% or less and only for a short while, perhaps minutes, and are difficult to wear for an extended time.

A half mask and filter will give much better, but still not complete, protection. But they introduce their own problems.

By far and away the best strategy to prevent particulate inhalation is to not be there.

Run away. Go cross wind. Fast. Don't waste time fiddling with a mask, just run and use a folded handkerchief. (you always carry a handkerchief don't you?) and you know how to deploy it in a second or so with no training.

Edited by Ian (07/14/14 07:57 AM)

#271013 - 07/25/14 11:43 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: rbruce]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Taking this conversation to its logical conclusion, the Israelis make child size full-face masks and they are available from surplus suppliers. I am both happy and sad that they have developed this technology.

#271748 - 09/22/14 05:17 PM Re: Dust masks for kids [Re: rbruce]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
For Dust, a bandanna is just as effective as any dust mask. If you're trying to protect from biological hazards, N95 helps, but if you're just talking about dust/smoke, a red bandanna is all you really need. A little water on it and you're all set.

Small, light, foldable.

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.