Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#271710 - 09/19/14 05:01 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Phaedrus]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
That's why I love and value ETS so much. It's survival without the -ism.

I like that. Maybe that should become the ETS slogan. smile

#271711 - 09/19/14 05:33 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
... we would appear to be in an age of now self restriction / self editing of self expression. Now that really is the slippery slope in my opinion.

Unfortunately, that is very true. Among many, many examples, it's a sad day when a potential employer must have access to your Facebook account before offering you a job...

#271713 - 09/19/14 07:31 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"Were they real world survivalists or folks from Government ABC agencies looking to discover if you own a match case?"

Match cases! I have lots and lots of match cases, none of them registered. When match cases are outlawed, only outlaws will have match cases.....

The very rational goal of prepping does combine at times with a fairly anti-social attitude. I suppose it depends upon individual perceptions of potential emergencies.

Personally, I have experienced many more situations where G'vment helped greatly in emergencies than otherwise.

#271715 - 09/19/14 07:51 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Personally, I have experienced many more situations where G'vment helped greatly in emergencies than otherwise.
Ditto for me.

The government, like any large organization will often be cumbersome in responding to fast breaking events, just by virtue of its size. People mistake that cumbersomeness for deliberate evilness, which is not generally the case, in my opinion.

#271717 - 09/19/14 07:54 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Meh, I just stay true to myself. At some point, I draw a line and not worry about what the masses may think about me. Otherwise, I'll eventually find myself pinned in a corner with my mouth shut.

#271718 - 09/19/14 08:28 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Montanero
..... Disaster and emergency preparedness should not equate to anti-government or racism in anyone's mind, but it often does. ..... This should not call up visions of an anti-government extremist.

We need to not only take care, but we can help to change attitudes about people who are reasonable and prepare for the inevitable, but occasional, disaster. Even the government preaches emergency preparedness.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have recently taken to lurking on some genuine “survivalist” sites and it has been an eye opening experience. There are some very disturbing world views out there.

I agree with Monanero and hikermor. There are some serious whackjobs who call themselves "survivalists" and "preppers". Even though only a tiny percentage of them move from harmless talk to actual antisocial actions, that is enough to to tar all of us with the same brush.

One reason is that the whackjobs make the best stories, so are most reported on by the media. However, it isn't just due to lazy reporting on the part of the media. Any reporter who surveys various "survivalist" web sites and forums will find on many of them a near total emphasis on guns, military equipment, conspiracy theories, and various rather unlikely TEOTWAWKI social collapse scenarios. It isn't surprising that the press tends to write stories about this.

Don't misunderstand me. Firearms can be a very useful survival tool. I own more than a few. Some military gear can be useful in civilian type survival situations. And social collapse can occur in some (fortunately rather rare) cases. However, the vast majority of emergency and survival situations don't involve guns, body armor, and zombies.

What drew me to ETS in the first place, and what keeps me here is that most participants here tend to focus on more likely situations and more practical everyday solutions. Storms, wildfires, earthquakes, and getting lost in the woods happen all the time. Zombie apocalypses not so much.

#271719 - 09/19/14 09:39 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: AKSAR]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Problem is, when the government starts falsely labeling you as anti-government, it's somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophesy. You may start hating the government for intentionally mislabeling and trying to demonize you for no valid reason. Example: I'd never given a thought to paying my taxes, until the government labeled me and other upper-middle-class folks as "not paying my fair share", despite well over half of my income going to taxes. So now I look for every possible avenue to legally pay less taxes. All because the government put forth, falsely, that I was the cause of the problem.

#271721 - 09/20/14 03:51 AM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: gonewiththewind]
Pete Offline
Veteran

these days its all computer algorithms.

does the algorithm that scans ETS and tracks all the people who come here ... really know the difference between a "survival expert" and a "survivalist"? I doubt it :-)

Pete

Edited by Pete (09/21/14 08:39 PM)

#271728 - 09/20/14 05:50 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: Pete]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Pete
these days its all computer algorithms.

does the algorithm that scans ETS and tracks all the people who come here ... rally know the difference between a "survival expert" and a "survivalist"? I doubt it :-)

Pete

Good point. Saying you're "not a survivalist" means the computer puts you on the same list as a survivalist. Take note of this thread. We're all on a computer's list somewhere.

That brings up another concept. I'm a proponent for having a bunch of useless data noise related to websites on which I participate. Thus, for my protection, I submit the following noise:

survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist survivalist

#271729 - 09/20/14 09:37 PM Re: Must Read for all members here [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Match cases! I have lots and lots of match cases, none of them registered.

Such admissions might get you noticed. Time to report yourself to the Government and explain that you know match cases are for matches.. wink

http://homelandsecurity.ohio.gov/doc/CAT%20Military%20Surplus%20Stores.pdf

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.