Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#268754 - 04/01/14 11:43 AM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I agree-a very rational discussion, quite distinct from the usual survivalist rant. You guys are no fun at all......

#268788 - 04/02/14 05:52 PM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: acropolis5]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
In 1938, Leo Bretholz, age 17...

I'm curious, what was Bretholz's life like up until age 17? I don't have kids, at least not yet, but I do think about how I would like to raise them.

I don't know a thing about Bretholz, but I'm just wondering what he was like before he was thrown into this long ordeal. A child raised to be a high functioning, productive member of a peacetime society could be the wrong type for a crazy, screwed up world that goes on for years.

#268792 - 04/02/14 09:16 PM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: Arney]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Arney

I don't know a thing about Bretholz, but I'm just wondering what he was like before he was thrown into this long ordeal. A child raised to be a high functioning, productive member of a peacetime society could be the wrong type for a crazy, screwed up world that goes on for years.

He talks about growing up in Vienna
http://www.hoerspuren.at/en/viennese_memories.mp3

http://www.hoerspuren.at/en/viennese_memories.php

Edited by chickenlittle (04/02/14 09:19 PM)

#268799 - 04/03/14 02:43 AM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: Bingley]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: Bingley
...very few are concerned with an invading army (or a domestic army that has "turned on" the people...

You must mean "turned" on the people, otherwise we'd all be happily going about our business...

edited for content...

Edited by UncleGoo (04/03/14 02:44 AM)

#269191 - 04/17/14 08:29 PM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: acropolis5]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
And it's not ancient history yet.

Caveat: The flyers autheticity has not been confirmed and this may be the result of a fringe group with a Xerox instead of official policy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-fliers-ordering-jews-register-2014-4

Quote:
Respected citizens of Jewish nationality! Given that the leaders of the Jewish community of Ukraine support the Banderite junta in Kiev and are hostile to the Orthodox Donetsk Republic and its citizens, the Main Staff of the Donetsk Republic orders the following:

All citizens of Jewish nationality over the age of 16 who live on the territory of the sovereign Donetsk Republic must before May 3, 2014, appear before the Donetsk Republic commissar for nationality affairs in Room 514 of the government’s offices. The cost of registration is 50 US dollars.

In addition to the sum of 50 US dollars, those registering must bring their passports so that their religious affiliation can be entered, documents about the members of their families, and also notarized documents about all the real estate and means of transportation you own.

Those who refuse to register will be deprived of citizenship and forcibly expelled from the republic and their property will be confiscated.

While Putin is not anti-semitic, Ukraine's right wing political group Svoboda is and has been gaining power in the Crimea following the invasion.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269192 - 04/17/14 09:22 PM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: Mark_R]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
While Putin is not anti-semitic, Ukraine's right wing political group Svoboda is and has been gaining power in the Crimea following the invasion.

Edit - probably too much Political Content!

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/17/14 10:19 PM)

#270068 - 05/22/14 02:36 AM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: acropolis5]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: acropolis5

Bretholz's 1999 autobiography, "Leap into Darkness: Seven Years On the Run In Wartime Europe" , is a gripping textbook of survival in a European ( read Western Civilization), mostly urban , 20th Century world, gone collectively sociopathic.
If, heaven forbid, the SHTF in the U.S. or another Western nation, life is likely to be analogous to Bretholz 's 1938-1945 world. Forget your Mad Max, escape to wilds, live off the land scenario. This is the real deal.

I just finished it. For some reason it took awhile to find it in the local public library.

Like much of history, it can never be repeated exactly but history does teach us that similar things happen repeatedly.

Like many such scenarios, a large measure of luck has to do with it. Also, as Amanda Ripley noted, survival is also a measure of a willingness and ability to take decisive action at critical moments (jumping out of a train heading toward Auschwitz); most other occupants declined to take action which is the most common reaction.

OTOH, Bretholz's survival was dependent on a feature of history not likely to be repeated. He was repeatedly able to obtain falsified documents. Nowadays, most documents can be scanned and the counterfeit documents easily determined. I suspect that document forgery will be a much more difficult task the next time it becomes necessary.

#270082 - 05/23/14 02:34 AM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: acropolis5]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

yee, I was also struck by the amount of random "luck" that Bretholz experienced. Although it seems preposterous to use the word "luck" to describe any part of his WW II tribulation.

I also concur with your observation that luck seems to favor those with the will to take action. Almost like an early proof for the new doctrine of "Run...Hide...Fight" now being prescribed as a response by ( potential ) victims in active shooter situations.

As to the ID issue in the future, it seems to me a hacker's challange. Time will tell.

Edited by acropolis5 (05/23/14 02:35 AM)

#270086 - 05/23/14 06:18 AM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: acropolis5]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>Respected citizens of Jewish nationality! Given that the leaders of the Jewish community of Ukraine support the Banderite junta in Kiev and are hostile to the Orthodox Donetsk Republic and its citizens, the Main Staff of the Donetsk Republic orders the following:

All citizens of Jewish nationality over the age of 16 who live on the territory of the sovereign Donetsk Republic must before May 3, 2014, appear before the Donetsk Republic commissar for nationality affairs in Room 514 of the government’s offices. The cost of registration is 50 US dollars.

This was instantly recognised as a scam no one believed.
qjs

#270104 - 05/24/14 05:04 AM Re: Seven year E & E in an evil societal collapse [Re: quick_joey_small]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
This was instantly recognized as a scam no one believed.
qjs

Ukraine does have a considerable history of antisemitism, and stuff like this is taken very seriously. For reference: Between 1882 and 1951, there have been 3,437 African Americans lynched in the United States, and between 1917 and 1941 40,000 to 70,000 Jews were killed in pogroms in the Ukraine. Probably explains why my great grandparents made tracks for the other side of the continent shortly after 1900.

My sources:
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1979/2/79.02.04.x.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_Ukraine

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.