Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#270874 - 07/16/14 09:08 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: LCranston]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm actually looking at regular adult kick scooters (Xootr Street, Go-Ped Know-Ped, etc) as they look like they won't aggravate my knees and pack down very small. I just need to find a place in San Diego that rents them before I commit to buying one.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#271241 - 08/14/14 09:43 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...or a folding bike

#271638 - 09/11/14 08:31 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Just ran across this, which may be of interest to those folks thinking about bikes as an alternative in large scale disasters. Portland OR is a very bike friendly city. For the last three years Portland has had a bike event called "Disaster Relief Trials".
Quote:
The Idea behind the inaugural Disaster Relief trials was twofold; to showcase the impressive capabilities of cargo bicycles/trailers and show the real-world disaster capabilities of bicycles in general. The scenario centered, then as now, around a hypothetical 30 mile round trip supply run on day 4 after a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake. This is around the time that the shift from response to recovery would likely have begun, and supplies would be arriving in earnest. In what has become the core components of DRT’s nationwide, each rider was tasked with collecting equipment and supplies at multiple destinations, with 100lbs collected per rider over the course. Riders were required to choose their routes to the checkpoints and pickup locations, lash and secure outsize cargo, navigate mandatory obstacles, self-repair, and arrive with all their designated cargo. In the end, all 30 riders split in two classes completed the course, and 3000lbs of cargo was assembled at the start/finish.

#271639 - 09/11/14 09:59 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: AKSAR]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
For the last three years Portland has had a bike event called "Disaster Relief Trials".

Hey, that looks like fun! I like the video. I wish they'd compare the different cargo bike designs.

#271640 - 09/11/14 10:35 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fascinating! Were the riders self contained with respect to their consumed water? Were there any normal (not purpose built cargo bikes) participating?

I will tour with about 40-50 lbs of gear (varies with water and food loading)and I can knock out 70-80 miles regularly - but that is in a functioning society, with milk shakes, etc. readily available.....

#271641 - 09/12/14 12:00 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Fascinating! Were the riders self contained with respect to their consumed water? Were there any normal (not purpose built cargo bikes) participating?
I don't know anymore about it than what was on the web links. Given that they had to carry 100 lbs of assorted stuff, I suspect that cargo bikes would have a big advantage. It does suggest, however, that experienced (but non messenger) riders such as yourself, using normal touring type gear, could be still be very useful in a disaster scenario. The website does indicate that similar events have been held in other cities, such as Seattle. Perhaps you should look into organizing one in your town? You could include a "touring class".

I did find another link with a lot of photos of the 2013 event. Apparently one guy entered (and finished) with a cargo skateboard!

#271642 - 09/12/14 02:49 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Even a conventional bike could be useful -just load it up and start pushing. The North Vietnamese demonstrated that....

#271674 - 09/16/14 10:43 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
That looks like a really cool event...I would love to take part in something like that! Unfortunately I haven't heard about any around here. I don't have a cargo bike, but I have a good touring bike and it wouldn't be hard to attach a trailer for extra capacity.

#271677 - 09/17/14 02:59 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
while visiting a friend's shop the other day, I noticed that he still had a couple of his now adult son's BMX bicycles that are at least 15 years old... rather than a folding bike, what about a seat post extension, and handle bar gooseneck extension to allow one of these short bikes to be ridden in a traditional upright fashion.... with the handlebars stored parallel to the frame, it would not take up much room.. most are very high quality and lightweight.. most of the kids in the BMX competition go through several size upgrades during their careers...

#271683 - 09/18/14 12:11 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I didn't realize cargo bikes cost thousands of dollars. Is this normal, or have I just stumbled upon a site for a particular sort of consumer?

http://www.metrofiets.com

There's gotta be a cheap version. Plenty of people use bicycle to transport stuff in less wealthy countries without paying thousands in USD. How do they do it?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.