The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#271592 - 09/07/14 06:19 PM Community Preps
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Unusual and interesting article in the LA Times - http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-adv-bel-air-disaster-20140905-story.html

How an affluent, semi-isolated community gets ready...

#271593 - 09/07/14 07:30 PM Re: Community Preps [Re: hikermor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I'm impressed!

Not so much by the amount of dollars spent, (although it is impressive), but by the willingness of the residents to come together and put out the time, money and effort.

It's refreshing to read about a community that really is a community instead of just a bunch of people living in the same place.

Ignore the rest if you don't want to read my rant.

I am on my community Home Owners Association (HOA), and all we get is apathy from the vast majority of homeowners.

An example. The County has a law that homeowners are required to shovel the snow from the sidewalk in front of their homes. In my conversations with the County Emergency Ops folks, they said the purpose of this is to have a safe path for people to walk, especially for the kids to walk to the bus stop (the County is good about plowing the road and they don't want people walking in the road). If you don't clear the walk, the County can fine you and charge you the cost of clearing the sidewalk.

Probably 80-90% of the homeowners don't clear their sidewalk when it snows.

A couple of years ago, the HOA sent out a note to all the homeowners reminding them of this. All that happened was for the HOA to get nasty responses.

But then, I grew up in a very small town that probably distorted my perspectives on these things.

#271594 - 09/08/14 08:50 AM Re: Community Preps [Re: bws48]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: bws48

An example. The County has a law that homeowners are required to shovel the snow from the sidewalk in front of their homes.
If you don't clear the walk, the County can fine you and charge you the cost of clearing the sidewalk.

Probably 80-90% of the homeowners don't clear their sidewalk when it snows.

A couple of years ago, the HOA sent out a note to all the homeowners reminding them of this. All that happened was for the HOA to get nasty responses.

Itīs about the same around here. Only the authorities do not enforce the law. They neither fine nor clear the sidewalks and charge. Itīs not a surprise that the home owner do not welcome a reminder from the HOA.
Itīs a pity, but antisocial behavior seems to spread rapidly these days.

#271595 - 09/08/14 02:21 PM Re: Community Preps [Re: M_a_x]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: M_a_x

. . . Only the authorities do not enforce the law. They neither fine nor clear the sidewalks and charge. . .

Same here. . .

#271625 - 09/10/14 02:55 AM Re: Community Preps [Re: bws48]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
tīs about the same around here. Only the authorities do not enforce the law. They neither fine nor clear the sidewalks and charge. Itīs not a surprise that the home owner do not welcome a reminder from the HOA.

If the city or HOA want to put in sidewalks, they should be responsible for keeping them clear. It's no different than clearing the streets. The sidewalks are probably also within the right of way of the road.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.