The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#271532 - 08/31/14 05:19 PM Re: Fire Pistons [Re: wileycoyote]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
mag/flint bars

I have a question. Magnesium/flint bars have been problematic for me.

The magnesium filings have to be kept in a nice small pile to allow the thing to work.

Most importantly, how do you generate the pile of filings in the first place? Making magnesium filings seems the best way to prevent having too sharp a knife! Is there any other way to do it?

#271535 - 08/31/14 07:25 PM Re: Fire Pistons [Re: yee]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
have a question. Magnesium/flint bars have been problematic for me.

The magnesium filings have to be kept in a nice small pile to allow the thing to work.

Most importantly, how do you generate the pile of filings in the first place? Making magnesium filings seems the best way to prevent having too sharp a knife! Is there any other way to do it?

[/quote]

1) When it comes to magnesium/flint bars I find that only the DOAN brand, which is the original, is worth buying. Everything is an imitation thereof. I've used various others and they vary between the so-so and useless.
2) The original recommended method was to dig a pit and scrap shaving into it. That works but making a tinder bundle and scraping shavings into that is much more effective.
3) Use the spine of your knife not the edge.

#271559 - 09/01/14 08:21 PM Re: Fire Pistons [Re: Deathwind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've never been able use magnesium shavings to start a fire.

#271562 - 09/01/14 10:12 PM Re: Fire Pistons [Re: Phaedrus]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Use the magnesium as a booster rather than the primary source of ignition. Personally I prefer a Bic.

#271568 - 09/02/14 04:33 AM Re: Fire Pistons [Re: Deathwind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I know how it's supposed to work, I've just never had any luck with it. IMOHO fatwood shavings are much better. Despite having several good magnesium products for the space they take up I'd rather have another firesteel or even a lighter.

#271569 - 09/02/14 02:22 PM Re: Fire Pistons [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Use the magnesium as a booster rather than the primary source of ignition. Personally I prefer a Bic.

I agree. I might pack a good magnesium bar (Firesteel dot com has good ones) to prepare for the following unlikely scenario: I managed to get all my tinder completely soaked while it's about 30 degrees F. In that scenario, Mg shavings will still ignite from my ferro rod in the wet and cold. Also, there's a decent chance of the Mg transferring heat and igniting the wet cotton I was carrying, and so on.

Why would I not start fire with Mg on a regular basis? It's because successfully using Mg requires me to have a heightened level of focus and energy.

By the way, my Mini Bic will likely be working in the scenario described above. So, I'd try that first.

#271573 - 09/03/14 06:40 AM Re: Fire Pistons [Re: Deathwind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I salute those that can use Mg, but I haven't had much luck. Furthermore for he size and weight of the mag chunk I could carry something else that I know will work for me. A 4g ESBIT tablet is one of my favorites. I have a chamber vacuum machine and seal them in tiny red mylar bags, perfect for survival use. They never expire or spoil, they don't absorb water and will burn when wet. They're also easy to light (with flame or a spark if you shave them as you would fatwood or mg).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.