Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#271487 - 08/29/14 04:21 PM First impressions of outdoor lighter (Burny)
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I received an Optimus Burny as a birthday present. It is a lighter designed for outdoor use.

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimu.../optimus-burny/

The most interesting part of this lighter is that it can be refilled from the isobutane/propane stove canister. You can refill it in the field directly from your stove cannister as well as from a butane lighter supply. I ordered a Primus adapter to fill it. The lighter also can provide a bigger flame with isp/propane.

The lighter is designed for lighting stoves and fires, the flame is almost as big and is as hot as my Bernzomatic pencil torch. Dry pine shavings and small kindling start almost instantly. It comes out horizontal when held like a normal lighter. It works in any position. The shape allows lighting stoves that are hard to get into (I was able to light my SVEA 123 without removing the wind screen).

The major question is going to be the piezo-electric igniter. I hope this one is reliable and works at altitude.

I think I am really going to like this one. That is saying a lot for a old codger who still prefers matches.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#271493 - 08/29/14 06:00 PM Re: First impressions of outdoor lighter (Burny) [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You had me interested until you brought up the piezo-electric mechanism. No thanks. In my experience, they will fail, most likely just when you really need them. I am three for three failures with p-e's - not a good thing.

#271516 - 08/30/14 06:25 PM Re: First impressions of outdoor lighter (Burny) [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Finally someone who recognizes that things that work perfectly in the home or backyard will fail in the field when you need it most. Thumbs up, Hiker.

Personally I like the little torches they sell in head shops, which we have to check regularly anyway. Theyre compact, burn hot, and have a fat little fuel tank on the side you can check at a glance. Yes they're piezo but can be lit by sparks or a match and they have a safety latch so the tank wont go empty in your pack pr pocket. Mine is in my first aid kit for sterilization purposes, along with a lighter and matches.

Edited by Deathwind (08/30/14 06:32 PM)

#271533 - 08/31/14 05:40 PM Re: First impressions of outdoor lighter (Burny) [Re: JerryFountain]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Hikermor,

I agree with you, but it was a gift. It also appears very substantial so I am going to give it a try. Not as my critical source of matches, but to replace the box of "penny" matches that I use for normal times. I will still have the K&E regular with my stove, the Exotac (not the xl) that I carry as my emergency supply (in my pocket) and the K&E long in my pack. Plus the usual Spark-Lite metal in my psk. And the Exotac Nano.

Not to worry, I WILL get the fire started!

Respectfully,

Jerry

#271539 - 08/31/14 10:43 PM Re: First impressions of outdoor lighter (Burny) [Re: JerryFountain]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Sounds like you have the equipment to get it started Jerry!

#271893 - 09/26/14 06:46 PM Re: First impressions of outdoor lighter (Burny) [Re: JerryFountain]
ets777 Offline
Stranger

I had an old p-e butane "torch" lighter that died some years ago... it wasn't the p-e that died (which was my first thought, it was sparking just fine), it was the valve mechanism that failed. What can we say though? They are quick and convenient when they work. wink

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.