Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#271544 - 09/01/14 01:58 AM Re: Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? [Re: ireckon]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I carry flagging and a Sharpie (and sample bags, I am a geologist after all) in my kit at all times. I often flag trails. You can write on the flagging a name, time and direction of travel. Thankfully, I have never needed it to be rescued , but I have used it many times to leave messages for other workers or crews in the field.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#271555 - 09/01/14 04:45 PM Re: Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There's always the traditional technique - leave a trail of bread crumbs. The modern variationwould be crumbled bits of plastic foam....

#271556 - 09/01/14 04:54 PM Re: Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Depending on the terrain -- Hot pink surveyor tape tied near eye level.

#271564 - 09/02/14 02:09 AM Re: Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? [Re: ireckon]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: ireckon
What would you do to trail mark?

Here are some trail signs you can leave using natural materials:

Image from the Scouts Canada Wiki article on Trail Signs

This image is taken from the Scouts Canada Fieldbook & similar information is in the Cub Book. An activity we've done with our Cubs in the past is have the different sixes go off and make their own trail using these markings and then have the other sixes try to follow them from beginning to the end.

Regarding what Grylls did in his shows, I don't recall specifically, but it was something similar to the above.

#271565 - 09/02/14 02:17 AM Re: Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? [Re: hikermor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
There's always the traditional technique - leave a trail of bread crumbs.

Bad idea, it was the breadcrumb trail that resulted in Hansel & Gretel not being able to find their way home smile.

After reading the Grimms' fairy tale, I always thought it was odd that the breadcrumb trail made it into our culture as an idiom when the story so clearly showed such a trail was useless (the forest animals ate them before the kids were able to follow the trail home, resulting in their capture by the witch).

#271566 - 09/02/14 03:41 AM Re: Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My feeble attempt at humor just didn't make the grade....

#271567 - 09/02/14 03:51 AM Re: Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? [Re: hikermor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
My feeble attempt at humor just didn't make the grade....

No, I just went off on a tangent that really didn't need to be followed smile. The whole breadcrumb thing just bugs me for some weird, likely overly pedantic reason ...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.