The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271498 - 08/30/14 02:11 AM Cook Stove Recommendations
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
For bugging in, Mom wants small cook stove recommendations. Must retain heat and not use propane.

No fireplace but we have a small screened-in porch and yard.

Jeanette Isabelle

#271499 - 08/30/14 02:34 AM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
by retain heat, do you mean you want to bake with it?.... my own choice is naturally the one you don't want, namely propane... there are multi fuel camp style stoves burning proprietary fuel like Coleman fuel, that also work on unleaded gasoline.... there are wick style stoves favored by a many in the Oriental community that burn kerosene... there are do it yourself rocket style stoves made from red brick or cement block that can use wood... charcoal briquettes in a hibachi style with a cast iron Dutch oven would work for baking...

do you want any form of portability? any restrictions on fuel other than no propane?

#271500 - 08/30/14 02:54 AM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How about butane? If you do a search on Amazon for "butane stove you'll find a bbunch and they all look the same. I have the GAS ONE Stainless Steel Portable Gas Stove and have used it during a couple power outages. Worked great. Iwatani has a few listed that seem to be higher end but still with the same basic design. Apparently they have more BTU power but they're more spendy too. No affiliation with either company.

#271501 - 08/30/14 03:18 AM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: LesSnyder]
Carpal Tunnel

Mom read your post. Did not say much.

Don’t know what Mom wants. Had to probe just to write the initial post. To answer your question, I think she means something that will cook using the least amount of fuel. She’s considering the Dutch oven. She says she wants to avoid gas or liquid fuels . . . fire safety. Fire + canisters = boom. That leaves wood, charcoal or some sort of pellets.

Jeanette Isabelle

#271502 - 08/30/14 03:24 AM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
How about butane? If you do a search on Amazon for "butane stove you'll find a bbunch and they all look the same. I have the GAS ONE Stainless Steel Portable Gas Stove and have used it during a couple power outages.

I brought those up. Canisters take up space and if there is a fire, run!

Jeanette Isabelle

#271503 - 08/30/14 03:49 AM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What about flameless heaters, like those provided for MREs?

#271504 - 08/30/14 04:08 AM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Pellets can be cheaper (in dollars per BTU) than propane , and a 40lb bag can be had for $5 ... and yard trimmings/twigs can be found everywhere and you can burn them like pellets smile in a coffee can smile

PCIA Test Results of Cook Stove Performance • Time to boil • Fuel used to cook • Energy used to cook • CO emissions • PM emissions • Safety ratings • Cost to purchase • Monthly fuel use
TLUD Micro Gasification 2.0 Cooking with gas from dry biomass ... Catalogue of stoves ... silverfire.us greensteaders.org biolite.com ecozoomstove.com

#271508 - 08/30/14 11:42 AM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Consider a hay box. It's just an insulated box; you heat the food with something else, put it in the hay box and then leave it to slow-cook for many hours.

#271509 - 08/30/14 02:22 PM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"Canisters take up space and if there is a fire, run"

The same could be said of any stove fuel, including flameless packets. You might not have a problem with buffalo chips

#271510 - 08/30/14 02:45 PM Re: Cook Stove Recommendations [Re: Brangdon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
We have a thermal insulated cooker. I won't say brand name, there are a number on Amazon and they work pretty much the same.
Quote:
...Put inner pot over the stove top and bring to a boil and set into outer container, Stainless steel vacuum insulated outer container allows the food to cook thoroughly without fire or electricity while the outside body stays cool to touch, Can keeps hot food around 154F for 6 hours, Save energy Save time, No overcooking and no burn, ...
With this we can heat the food either inside or outside (electric range inside, butane/propane/kero/white gas outside) and then when the inner pot and food is up to temp, put it inside the insulated outer container. Then you can turn off the stove and if you are concerned, remove the butane bottle from the stove.

BTW, the butane stove I mentioned is fairly safe design. There's a reason all those different models look the same. IMO the fire issue, while being real would not be the fault of the stove unless the operator was irresponsible. That is true of any stove, including gas and electric range you find in any kitchen. The model I have boils water at least as fast as the kitchen's electric range.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.