Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#271256 - 08/15/14 01:39 AM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I, like others have standardized on AA batteries. The only survival related exception to this is my headlamp which takes 3x AAA batteries.

With the headlamp batteries fully charged, there is well over 100 minutes of burn time when the light is on low and about 50 hours on high.

With this amount of burn time, I don't mind having AAA batteries and never carry spares for the headlamp as I could not foresee having to have the lamp even on high for 40 + hours which would stretch for many, many nights with judicious use.

John Lubbock

#271258 - 08/15/14 02:57 AM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Hello Mark,

I own 3 BD Storms and I also own the BD Cosmo.

I chose the storm because:
I wanted a high output when needed but the ability to dial it down when not.
It is more water resistant (gasketed battery case) than most if out in the rain or around water and clumsy :-)
It is both regulated when the batteries are fresh for a consistent output and then it drops to unregulated when the batteries are running low. The high lumen numbers on any headlight are for brand new batteries. After 30 minutes the total drops down in any headlight. Regulated lights keep a higher output longer but they drain quicker than non regulated.
I like and use the red led feature frequently.
I wanted a strobe if I needed to signal the calvary.

I like it a lot and bought more so I could keep 1 for my bob, 1 for edc and 1 in my hiking backpack. The edc light gets used while camping / hiking and the other is backup.

I have frequently used my edc storm in place of a flashlight. It uses 4 aaa for a longer burntime but it is not heavy on my head.

The only thing I don't like is that my edc storm has developed two hairline cracks on each side by the secondary leds. To be fair it is tossed in a bag and used all the time.

The cosmo was on sale for a price too good to pass up. It is nice but less powerful and not as water resistant. It is my edc backup and would definitely work well if my storm broke.

I would recommend carrying lithium batteries. It gives a definitely longer burn time and it makes the unit much lighter. I keep alkaline batteries in the unit for the more constant use and switch to Li when I use it in the woods.

If you chose something different please let us know what and why. I'm always interested in a good light.

#271260 - 08/15/14 05:25 AM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
+1 on going without a light, when there is enough starlight/moonlight
I was gifted a Streamlight Stylus. I think it takes 3, maybe 4, AAAA batteries: I haven't had to replace them, yet. I have a pack of four, for when they do die. That light is too bright to test for DUI horizontal gaze nystagmus, but great when you can't see the trail at your feet. I wrapped the barrel in plastic electrician's tape, as I was used to using a Streamlight Scorpion, which takes two 123A batteries and has a barrel that is rubbercoated--so that you could hold it between your teeth, to change a tire (cue Ralphie, from "A Chrismas Story", saying "Oh-F...", when he kicks the lugnuts out of the hubcap, into the snow...

Standardize as best you can, but remember: batteries of that size, really don't weigh that much: if you have to carry a couple of different sizes, so what? Is your life really worth the difference the between the weight of a couple of batteries?

#271263 - 08/15/14 10:21 AM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
It can be useful to not standardize the batteries in luxuries. I know i'll empty my mini maglite of its AA's if my radio runs down and that is sacrificing a necessity for a luxury.
qjs

#271264 - 08/15/14 10:36 AM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I don't consider a radio (information source) a luxury but 3rd priority of survival equipment perhaps??

I believe it 's importance would be determined by the event. It would be important to have realtime info in the event of a wildfire or post EQ; concerning fires, announcements concerning water & food supply points established by local authorities; etc.

#271266 - 08/15/14 03:10 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I hear ya there chaos

I got through the past year of scouting activities with my cyclops atom and led mini-maglite. The mini-maglite didn't really get used all that much tbh, it stayed in the pack most of the time. The headlamp on the other hand was my go to light. With that in mind there were times when the light output of the cyclops left a bit to be desired, so I'm thinking any upgrade will be an improvement at this point.

Also, would you prefer a floody light or a throwy light for camp setup? I'm thinking a floody light might make the most sense. One thing I like about most of the newer headlamps is that they have the option for both. The black diamond cosmo and storm in particular have the high output main light for throw and lower output leds for close in flood. They also have red leds to preserve night vision and can be turned on separately without having to cycle through the higher output settings.

As for the smith and wesson MP7, that may be more of a flashaholic "I want ..." than an actual "I need ..." option lol

#271267 - 08/15/14 03:14 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Russ]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

that's a nice looking light russ, it brings out my inner flashaholic lol

#271268 - 08/15/14 03:18 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

hikermor, there was a time I would have agreed with you on that, unfortunately, being type I diabetic for almost 40 years has taken it's toll, I am experiencing some desensitivity in my feet these days (the beginnings of neuropathy) and I find I need to be able to see where I am walking, what I am walking on, the contours and obstacles on the ground, etc. I wish it were otherwise, but I must adapt to continue to be able to do at least some things with my son and his troop while I am still able. Getting older sucks (but it beats the heck out of the alternative).

#271269 - 08/15/14 03:34 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

A low output setting seems like it would be a desirable feature

#271270 - 08/15/14 03:39 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Teslinhiker]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

100% standardization may not be possible for me right now, but if i can get everything to take AA or AAA I think it would be a big help for the coming year. I don't really own a lot of gizmos, mainly lights and the weather alert radio, so any new devices I pick up in the next few years I can keep the standardizing option in mind when selecting from the available options.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
28 minutes 12 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.