The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#271331 - 08/18/14 06:31 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
For sealing the seats of bullets or primers I´m with you.
From the description the blanks should look like that: blank ammo.
Those have a tiny hole where the folded metal meets. That can be sealed. I would not use wax as it may melt and affect the powder.
Six rounds sound much like a revolver anyway.

#271344 - 08/19/14 05:08 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
this is turning into the same bag of worms as my PLB carry post!
which is fine because i get a lot of good feedback that i have no other way of getting,when your in the "retirement bubble" you don't get around much.
so anyway yes its a revolver,357 four inch Taurus that i bought in the 80's just for solo canoe tripping. i'm x-Army and handled a lot of weapons so after running half a box of ammo thru it i said "got it" and put it way until the next solo trip.with a buddy to watch your back i don't fret as much about camp bears.i carry a pepper spray on some of the portages but have never seen a bear that did not run when it saw me.
i don't like to be slinging lead around.a camp that a bear might come into looking for food would be in one of the well used bays.
i feel safer back in the bush whack lakes where most campers don't want to take the hassle to get back into.
i'll go with what i call "local knowledge",that is the bears where i'll be sharing the woods with will run away from a loud sharp BANG the same as they will stay away from a family banging on pots and pans.

i'll go with this..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (08/19/14 05:09 AM)

#271345 - 08/19/14 09:12 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't like having different kinds of ammunition in your gun under most circumstances. Unless you're super calm, you're going to forget what you've loaded. Under a great deal of stress, all you know is point and shoot. You won't be able to count rounds. As the bear is charging in, you'll be wondering whether you're still shooting the blanks or live rounds.

The other thing, of course, is bear defense. We might as well open up all cans of worms: 9 vs .45, AK vs AR, Mac vs. PC, Lauren Bacall vs. Catherine Deneuve...

#271355 - 08/19/14 05:27 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: Bingley]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I don't like having different kinds of ammunition in your gun under most circumstances. Unless you're super calm, you're going to forget what you've loaded. Under a great deal of stress, all you know is point and shoot. You won't be able to count rounds. As the bear is charging in, you'll be wondering whether you're still shooting the blanks or live rounds.

The other thing, of course, is bear defense. We might as well open up all cans of worms: 9 vs .45, AK vs AR, Mac vs. PC, Lauren Bacall vs. Catherine Deneuve...

"SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — A Douglas County sheriff’s deputy accidentally shot a black bear with a live round rather than a rubber bullet during a recent incident that resulted in the death of a mother of two cubs."

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/deputy-kills-tahoe-bear-in-apparent-accidental-shooting/

#271360 - 08/20/14 03:49 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I'm going to echo Phaedrus on this. Forget the blanks: if you want--and have the time--to fire warning shots, fire live rounds into the dirt. If you don't have the time to fire warning shots, you will have a ready defense, without having to crank through two blanks. Blanks are--maybe--just as effective as live ammo...when the barrel is pressed against the flesh of your target.

#271361 - 08/20/14 06:42 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

one more thing and i'll quit on this post.
good comments and all but what i want is a noise maker,a really loud one.i'm not going to be someplace where black bears are anything more than camp pests.the worst that could happen,and it does,is that campers loose their food bag and have paddle back to the landings where lunch in Ely is just a hour or so away.folks who are a few days back in the woods have been known to ask/beg/ folks they meet up with for something/anything to eat.
the subject of keeping your food safe is a major topic on canoe tripping boards.hang v.s.hide will bring out weeks of posts and counter posts.
the chance of a stalking or attack is so tiny that getting worked up about is a waste of time and mental energy.like i said in the other post the blanks are just my chase method like banging pots and pans.when you check in for you permit to the BWCAW you have to watch a "do and don't" video the highlight is a couple campers chasing a bear,a real one,out of their camp with shouts and stick tossing.this is not Alaska where fisherman have to have a guide standing by with a very big rifle or out west where hikers pitch tents inside a chain link fence camping area.
there are other scare methods like air horns and hand held flares but i'll go with this one.no lead slinging or ricochet off exposed bedrock,just a BOOM out the tent door at 5AM to get Mr Big away from my food.
and back to the original question which was sealing the crimp.
i'll go with the nail polish which seemed to fill in that little hole where the crimps came together.
when i get back in a few weeks i'll do a post on how they test fired.
keep your powder dry!!

Edited by CANOEDOGS (08/20/14 06:43 AM)

#271362 - 08/20/14 11:05 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Cool. I'm curious too. Never bought blanks before, I'm eager to see if the sealant works well for you. I agree- the odds of needing to shoot a bear are probably minimal.

#271364 - 08/20/14 02:59 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Blank shotgun shells can be ordered through a gun dealer as well. I used those in 75mm Pack Howitzers for rendering salutes at official functions.

That was so loud, 1 person (a guest) had a heart attack on hearing the first round. I had the barrels pointed away from the ceremony and we were also 300 yards in distance.

#271368 - 08/20/14 08:10 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Canoedogs, maybe you need to carry a 75mm pack howitzer with you in the woods.

#271371 - 08/21/14 01:21 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

bingley,when i was young and foolish i thought about getting one of those just legal by a bit sawed off shotguns and slipping down the side pouch of my Duluth pack.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.