Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#271308 - 08/17/14 08:06 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I don't do "Nordic Walking" exactly. However, I do like to use a single trekking pole when I hike. Many of our local hikes are on steep and rough trails. (Indeed, calling some of them "trails" is stretching it!) I find by using one pole it is easier to maintain balance. On rough ground you expend a lot of energy just keeping and/or recovering balance, especially when coming down. A pole is also handy for balance when stepping from rock to rock to cross a stream.

I seem to get most of the benefit from one pole, and that keeps my other hand free. I like the adjustable poles, since I can change the length to suit the terrain, and when on flat easy ground I can collapse the pole and attach it to my pack. I personally don't see any benefit in the shock absorber models.

I find by using a pole, at the end of the hike I am less fatigued and my aging knees feel better.

#271328 - 08/18/14 03:59 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am also a single pole user, and I find one increasingly useful as me and my knees age. I like my adjustable pole for tricky balance situations and also for rattlesnake situations, especially for thick brush. I extend the pole to full length and let it take the point, as I slow down so that the pole can strike up an acquaintance with Mr. Snake....

Why doesn't someone do a poll on pole use?

#271330 - 08/18/14 05:35 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Ditto for using a single pole when hiking for all the reasons mentioned.

#271333 - 08/18/14 08:24 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
An update;

I got these poles:

http://casualadventuresgoa.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=55915 (no affiliation),
and have given them a try---seems like they are exactly what I want/need.

I also (finally) found a "local" (if 40+ miles away is local) source for some follow-up training to my 1 hour introduction.

Nordic walking looks simple, but that is not the same as easy (you need to get the form right), at least for me. But when I do it right, I feel a real pick up in speed and the cardio work out ramps up, without the pounding of jogging (my knees say thank you). Exactly what I want and need; my Doctor is of the opinion that starting my heart beating at least once a day is good for my health. wink

#271335 - 08/18/14 08:33 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: tomfaranda]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
Ditto for using a single pole when hiking for all the reasons mentioned.

Ditto+ for all the same reasons mentioned!

John Lubbock

#271343 - 08/19/14 04:07 AM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: Teslinhiker]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

My wife and I took about a 3 mile, hilly, 45 min., Power Walk this afternoon. The weather was almost perfect, albeit a little too warm. I carried one of my several, short (~34"), crookneck hickory walking sticks, It helps with my gamey knees & back, especially on the steep up and downhill portions. There is definitely a bit of a Victorian feel to perambulating with a walking stick. But, I've reached an age where it blends nicely with my white beard and dark hair.

#271358 - 08/20/14 02:56 AM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: UncleGoo]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I usually walk with one old-fashioned, hiking staff--good for balance on loose stone, and for fending off dogs.
I think one stick forces a person to walk slower, the side benefit of which is that the person takes in more of the view, etc...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.