Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#271271 - 08/15/14 03:40 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Quietly_Learning]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks for the specific info on the BD lamps QL, it will be a tremendous help if I decide to go with one of the BD lamps

#271273 - 08/15/14 04:04 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Also, would you prefer a floody light or a throwy light for camp setup? I'm thinking a floody light might make the most sense.

Exactly.

Quote:
One thing I like about most of the newer headlamps is that they have the option for both. The black diamond cosmo and storm in particular have the high output main light for throw and lower output leds for close in flood. They also have red leds to preserve night vision and can be turned on separately without having to cycle through the higher output settings.

The headlights I like the most work exactly this way.

#271274 - 08/15/14 05:44 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Getting older sucks (but it beats the heck out of the alternative).

I hear you,Mark, and I heartily agree. I am dealing with some of these same issues myself. Adapt and move forward.

#271276 - 08/15/14 09:09 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Getting older sucks (but it beats the heck out of the alternative).

I hear you,Mark, and I heartily agree. I am dealing with some of these same issues myself. Adapt and move forward.

Getting old is not for sissies!

#271279 - 08/15/14 09:35 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: AKSAR]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Getting old is not for sissies!

"Old Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill." - Anonymous.

Just a thought for us, ummh, less young guys. . .

#271280 - 08/15/14 10:22 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Mark,

My absolute favorite light - of any kind - is the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp with the rebel LED. It takes 3 AAA batteries.

I'd call it a floody spotlight.

The highest level will light up camp. The mid-level is great for most uses. The lowest level is just enough for inside a tent.

I have two in my drawer next to me, one in my travel bag, and another next to my bed upstairs.

I was a Scout leader since my son jointed at age 6 through his 17th birthday, and found that the EOS headlight was all I really needed. Compact enough to slide in a pocket on the way to camp (driving), super bright at high to see what's on the other side of camp at night, dim enough at low, lasts a good long time on medium, and waterproof.

Some Scoutmasters are really into using gas lanterns and like to leave them on all night - turning night into day, but personally I think boys should learn to live and enjoy the dark, and when things get too dark to work then learn to use headlamps at low settings.

#271281 - 08/15/14 10:26 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
One really good reason for standardization is for your Go Bag. You don't want to have to carry all kinds of batteries on your back.

Note that manufacturer's stated runtimes are for alkaline batteries. You can get up to nine times (9X) the runtime using lithium batteries (the non-rechargeable kind). Lithiums come in lower rated forms (I have seen 4x, 6x, and 8x), but I would avoid them. Lithiums also have a ten year shelf-life, don't leak, and work in colder temperatures. In an emergency you don't want to find out that your batteries are dead (including your spares) because of the shelf-life, or that they have leaked and ruined your device.

I have standardized on AAAs and I only use lithium 9Xs. I mainly picked AAAs because I wanted a really small EDC flashlight and I found a excellent one that uses a single AAA (Fenix E01). I also wanted batteries that would be easier to find in a pinch.

In my Go Bag, I have a 3 AAA multi-mode flashlight (Nebo Redline) and a tiny 2 AAA radio (Kaito). I don't have a AAA headlamp yet, but do plan to get one. There are lots of AAA ones to choose from.

#271282 - 08/16/14 02:18 AM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I've managed to get it down to three main sizes.
Rechargeable: AAA, AA, & 18650's
Primaries: AAA, AA, & 123's

EDC Lights are a Fenix PD35 & LD01. The PD35 has a 18650 rechargeable. It can also run on 2x123's The LD01 is a Lithium.

Main weather radio is 3xAA rechargeables that it will recharge them when plugged in to a 5V source.

I've had some luck using the AAA to AA adapters.

#271349 - 08/19/14 02:27 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: KenK]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Ken,

Thanks for the input, that princeton looks nice and the price is right too. A recommendation coming from a fellow scout leader means a lot, but now I am torn, as one of our assistant scout masters uses a light similar to the black diamond. This will be a tough decision but I need to come up with something before Labor Day weekend, we are doing a 2-day canoe trip and I don't want to be stuck out on the water in the dark (not intentionally by any means but we could be herding stragglers who didn't keep up the needed pace) with my current headlamp. Thanks again for your input Ken.

#271351 - 08/19/14 03:20 PM Re: battery standardization and general light question [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

One thing i noticed the black diamond has that the princeton does not, is the red led's for preserving night vision. Any opinions on how important this feature would be to the average joe person like myself? I've got by so far without ever having that feature so I'm thinking for me it's not all that important but I'd like to know if i may be missing something?

Ken, if you wouldn't mind commenting further on the princeton model, you mentioned the low output mode is good for inside the tent, however I noted on the user manual that the low output setting is rated for distances up to 30 meters? I'm no expert on how they come up with that data or how that relates to the light output, but in your opinion, does the low output mode provide just enough ambient light to see by in the tent? or are we talking enough light output to really light things up?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.