Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#271292 - 08/16/14 08:20 PM throw away your water filters!
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
well maybe not right this second but have a look at whats coming down the pike via the Swiss.
http://txchnologist.com/post/93135974895/polymer-filter-quickly-makes-water-safe-to-drink

#271298 - 08/17/14 10:14 AM Re: throw away your water filters! drinkpure-water [Re: CANOEDOGS]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Boring :p

90 nm is 90 nanometer is 0.09 microns

They also say good for more than 300 liters/79.25 gallons ... 300 is probably the activated charcoal load

gogo project where they solicit for funds ie http://www.drinkpure-waterfilter.com/

They say their target is below $20 but a donation of $20 doesn't get you a filter

They call it "Drink Pure" but there is already filter by that name, and some kind of drink mix supplement ...

They call it "Drink Pure" but its not a purifier , it doesn't filter viruses

Viruses |Hepatitis A, rotavirus, Norwalk virus |0.004 microns |Water purifier |to 0.004 microns

I'm also curious about the activated carbon contact time , a flow rate of 1 liter per minute, is it good enough

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing this at walmart and rei and other sporting goods stores smile with a refillable carbon cartridge smile sawyer mini has some competition

#271309 - 08/17/14 08:32 PM Re: throw away your water filters! drinkpure-water [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I used to be a research chemist and I developed water purification membranes--I don't believe their claims.

As EMPnotImplyNuclear said, I don't believe it will remove viruses and the device is not big enough to have enough charcoal to remove much soluble contaminates. The water needs to move slowly across the charcoal to have enough time for the contaminates to adhere to the charcoal. And you have to have enough volume of charcoal to contain all the contaminates. Finally, charcoal does not remove all types of soluble contaminates including salts.

Also, membrane filters plug up rather quickly with insoluble contaminates. My company also developed special configuration filters to reduce plugging. This requires flowing the water across the filter as it is passing through it. Continuous cross-flow reduces the amount of contaminates sticking to the surface of the filter. However, this filter works by forcing all the contaminates onto the filter with no cross flow, thus the filter is going to plug up very quickly.

Small filters like this also suffer from cross-contamination. Notice in the video when he is drinking from the device, water on the outside of the bottle is dripping down on his face. This is the contaminated water from the source. If the source is only contaminated with minor amounts of chemicals this is not a big issue, but if it is contaminated with bacteria or viruses, then you can easily ingest the very organisms you are trying to avoid.

None of the technology they are using is new. I was working with all this technology 30 years ago.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.