Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#270936 - 07/21/14 11:44 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Deathwind]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Let's look at this question from the perspective of the 4 Priorities:

1) Shelter: one can usually be put together faster if one has the appropriate cutting tools for saplings, vines, etc.

2) Water: requires a vessel to hold the water if it's going to be purified by a filter, chemicals, or boiling (fire). In the case of boiling, a firestarter of any type is a good thing to have.

3) Food: a knife can be used to cut vines & lines; striker on a flint or ferrocium rod; a spear point, skinning/prepping; cooking.

4) Fire or a source of heat: a knife can strike sparks; can be used to prep tender & wood; can make firemaking tools, a bow drill or a trough. A firestarter of any kind is good to have.

IMO: a good sturdy knife(ves) is actually more important than a firemaking kit(s ) but I carry multiples of each kind of steel tool and of fire making means (call me "insecure")

#270937 - 07/22/14 01:19 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Mark_R]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

The most reliable way I've found to make fire is synthetic tinder and windproof/water proof matches followed by ferrorod, followed by a flint (not piezo) Bic lighter.

Funny, I have been less than excited by matches since it is almost impossible to get proper strike-anywhere matches. Safety matches requires TWO things not to get lost and kept dry while keeping both separate. I haven't figured out a safe way to do it.

When I had sufficient quantities of strike-anywheres, I kept some upright and others upside-down in a waterproof case after I coated them in clear nail polish. In one of my moves, I lost the ammo case where I stored several boxes. The current strike-anywheres don't work as well. Not sure why.

Where does one store the safety striker in or near the match case?

I agree flint lighters and ferro rods are almost bombproof.

#270938 - 07/22/14 01:59 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Deathwind]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I typically carry two mini Bics, a ferro rod, striker, and tinder (Vaseline in cotton balls, and inner tube).

#270939 - 07/22/14 03:37 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: yee]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I haven't figured out a safe way to do it.

I keep one turned striking side out in the match case with the matches. I'm not worried about them igniting because they are packed tight enough it can't rub a match head and are in a metal case.

#270941 - 07/22/14 05:58 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: yee]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: yee
Safety matches requires TWO things not to get lost and kept dry while keeping both separate. I haven't figured out a safe way to do it....Where does one store the safety striker in or near the match case?

I agree flint lighters and ferro rods are almost bombproof.

I put the flattened cardboard match box, which had the striker surface, in a poly bag loose in the stuff sack that held the rest of my kit. If I had to redo it, I would put the matches and lighter in a Witz small sport or ID case along with the tinder.

For my 72 hour kit, I keep the matches, tinder, hone, pocket knife, and spare flashlights in a Rubbermaid sandwich container. Sort of a poor man's drybox.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270942 - 07/22/14 08:25 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Deathwind]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
While designing a kit to fit a BDU leg pocket I was struck by how much Fire making tools I had included on a paper. There was a lot, matches, mini bic, firesteel, sparklite and a lot more, including various tinder's. So, I thought I'd ask here, how much is too much? Obviously if it takes room away from other valuable items, but assuming you have the space.

Another question is, what can anyone tell me about fire cards? I have seen them mentioned, but have found virtually no information on the net. Can survival information be printed on them? Or written on them with no loss of performance. Any info at all will be appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming you will be walking with the kit in your leg pocket. Stuff in your leg pocket rubs on your leg. That get old really quickly.

As for fire; BIC lighter, ferro rod and matches is all I carry. Tinder is generally cotton wool with vaseline, tampons and occasionally chips.

#270945 - 07/22/14 03:09 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: yee]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB

I've been using the UCO Survival Matches product ... 15 storm-proof matches in case with the striker on the outside:

They also have a larger kit that contains 25 matches with a more robust case.

Also, if you haven't had a chance to play around with these UCO storm-proof matches I recommend getting some to try out. They will stay lit even if submerged in water.

#270946 - 07/22/14 03:38 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Denis]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The UCO matches are a basic part of all my kits. REI also produces this type of match (probably same factory, just different branding). They do require the striker, which must be protected from moisture, but they work very well in all conditions that I have tried them (blowing snow, blowing rain, heavy rain). They will not extinguish even when dunked, lit, in water. You can play with packaging to fit you particular kit form factor.

#270955 - 07/22/14 06:08 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: yee]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Another benefit of the REI matches is that while there is a striker surface on the outside of the cardboard box, they also include a couple extra strikers already encased in heavy gauge plastic for packing in your kits. This makes it safe to keep the matches and a striker together inside a waterproof container.

See lower right in this pic:

#270966 - 07/23/14 05:33 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Deathwind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Deathwind

Another question is, what can anyone tell me about fire cards? I have seen them mentioned, but have found virtually no information on the net. Can survival information be printed on them? Or written on them with no loss of performance. Any info at all will be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you mean this stuff? If so it's fantastic stuff! My review is the first one listed. I use the stuff virtually every time I build a bire.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 433 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.