Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#271250 - 08/15/14 12:25 AM Pacific Coastline dead?
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In a survival situation it was always a general principle that the coastline was always the place to find food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1FrscZBjhc&feature=youtu.be

Is there anything in this video suggesting extinction level events of wildlife and sea birds on large areas of the Pacific coastline. The video presentation suggests that the vast majority of all species are extinct due to a massive die off in the Pacific Ocean.

I was spooked a few weeks ago after observing thousands of migratory sea birds circling over my house in North East Scotland.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/15/14 12:28 AM)

#271252 - 08/15/14 01:07 AM Re: Pacific Coastline dead? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I didn't watch it all, but frankly, I'm mot impressed. A lot of the coastline here in SoCal is rather bare, but that is because a lot of it, especially where accessed by large numbers of beach goers, gets hammered rather hard.

Out on the Channel islands, tide pools are doing much better. We don't have the abalone that abounded in the 1980s, but survival is pretty easy along the coast of the islands - lots of limpets and mussels (except during the red tide season).

BTW, a long term tide pool monitoring program is in place within Channel Islands National Park. It has been in effect since sometime in the 1980s. Precise numbers are available on tidal species as well as other animals within the park, like the pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, and the like).

#271254 - 08/15/14 01:28 AM Re: Pacific Coastline dead? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Really? People actually believe this garbage?

Where is this their documented research? I don't give any creed to crackpot theories from someone just casually cruising around in a zodiac boat for a few hours. Do these presenters have any scientific background or credentials.

I live in this Pacific area and what the video does not show, is that overall and taking in account human presence and encroachment, we have a healthy coastline. The past few years, there have been more sightings of whales, dolphins and other marine life on the rise. Last month, there was a published study of the remarkable comeback of the sea otter in these waters after the otter was pushed to extinction almost 100 years ago.

At the end of July, we were out crabbing in the waters off Vancouver BC and were a bit surprised by how many we caught. Most were undersized and had to be released but there were enough keepers for a good meal. We also are about to experience one of the largest Sockeye Salmon runs in recent memory.

It is these types of real world factors the demonstrates that the coastline is healthy and I don't need to watch some 3rd rate video that claims otherwise.

John Lubbock

#271257 - 08/15/14 02:15 AM Re: Pacific Coastline dead? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
This is youtube video total REDACTED. An example of people with little scientific background trying to create a sensation.

There has been a die off of starfish in many areas along the North Pacific coast. However, this "sea star wasting syndrome" predates the Fukushima disaster, and has also been observed on the Atlantic coast. It appears to coincide with El Niño events. This has not been an El Niño year (so far, at least), however sea temperatures have been warmer than usual for quite awhile, possibly related to global warming.

See Sea Star Deaths along the West Coast Elicit Close Study.

Quote:
Sea star wasting syndrome has struck before on the West Coast – during El Niño events when ocean temperatures are warmer than usual in the eastern Pacific.
------------snip------------
Despite the lack of El Niño, the water in the northeast Pacific has been warmer than usual for months, which can have an impact on sea stars and disease. We know that outbreaks of marine disease coincide with unusually warm sea surface temperatures.
------------snip-----------
Last winter when news media speculated about a connection between the Fukushima nuclear disaster and the sea star die-off, researchers at UC Santa Cruz, who have been monitoring Pacific tide pools for decades, posted on their Sea Star Wasting Syndrome Updates page that, “there has been substantial speculation in the media that the disease could be a result of increased radiation from the nuclear power plant disaster in Fukushima, Japan. We have no evidence to suggest that radiation is a likely culprit.”

Smithsonian sea star expert Chris Mah (@echinoblog) went into more detail about the lack of connection between the Fukushima nuclear disaster and the sea star die-off in a post at Deep Sea News. He explained that sea star wasting syndrome predates the nuclear disaster, that sea star wasting is found in the Atlantic as well, and that no other life in the tide pools appears to be affected besides the stars.

However, the folks posting the youtube video obviouly aren't inclined to let mere science get in the way of good sensation mongering.

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/15/14 02:44 AM)
Edit Reason: Language

#271259 - 08/15/14 03:54 AM Re: Pacific Coastline dead? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the replies. I am not really interested in the 'science' of this subject of any potential die of this species or that species in the North West Pacific coastline or its causation theory of why sea stars are melting or not.

The claims in the video essentially conclude that after 7 days beach combing at low tides along 200 km at various locations of what should be pristine coastline these folks in the video are claiming that they would not have been able to fill up half a bucket of fishing bait or beach stew such as rag worms, mussels, whelks, crab, clams, limpets etc. Something that would take about 30 minutes at low tide on Broughty Ferry beach on the Tay River estuary with some foraging.

They also claim in the video that the sea birds they observed over the same period and stretch of pristine NW Pacific coastline could be counted on one hand. There was also claims of no insect life as well. I am not disputing any science, I was looking for personal observations to verify, counter or dismiss the claims in the video as I don't really need a scientist to tell me what I am looking at or not as life or lack off is actually quite easy to spot.

To make such outrageous easily disproved claims through personal observation on Youtube video (not published Marine Biology make it up as you go along scientific spurious terminology 'Sea Star Wasting Syndrome' as if we know what we are talking about) seems rather bizarre.
Its amateurish style also lends some element of truth behind their claims. But that is probably just me.

#271265 - 08/15/14 12:58 PM Re: Pacific Coastline dead? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
I have not watched the video so I will just say what jumped out at me from the comments.
I really like the phrase, "From various Locations in the PNW".
If you let me pick the locations I bet I could show the same results
OR not if you let me do the Pickin.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.